Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox 1.0.6 and Thunderbird 1.0.6

Arrow Firefox 1.0.6 and Thunderbird 1.0.6

They arrive this Week - hopefully in Ubuntu too !
    http://www.politikstube.de - die etwas andere Politikcommunity

Beans

Re: Firefox 1.0.6 and Thunderbird 1.0.6

From what I understand the versioning policy with ubuntu is that hoary will stay with firefox 1.0.2 and only have security patches applied. I think breezy is being shipped with 1.0.4. You'll probably be able to get a newer version from the backport repositories, or install it yourself. the firefox shipped with ubunutu is optimised for gnome and ubuntu.

Dave
    Forums Search :: Ubuntu Wiki :: Google.com

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime”

Registered Linux user no. 391068

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

The Firefox currently in Backports is 1.0.2 with the security patches so its basically 1.0.4...I guess a packaging bug or something. But yah, I seriously don't see why we cannot bring 1.0.6 into Backports....heck if I knew how to I would do it myself..
    ArchLinux 0.8.0
    Associate Member of the Free Software Foundation

Quote Originally Posted by Kyral
    The Firefox currently in Backports is 1.0.2 with the security patches so its basically 1.0.4...I guess a packaging bug or something. But yah, I seriously don't see why we cannot bring 1.0.6 into Backports....heck if I knew how to I would do it myself..
    The funny thing about is that even Mozilla means that this is a Bug by Ubuntu and they asked the Ubuntu Developer Team to correct the Versionnumber. You can see it on the Updatesite by Mozilla.org when you go there via Firefox from Ubuntu.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/upgrade/
    You appear to be using the Firefox package provided by Ubuntu Linux. Ubuntu distributed a new version of Firefox which contains the security fixes from 1.0.6 but ... etc.
    Last edited by redlabour; July 20th, 2005 at 02:24 PM.
    http://www.politikstube.de - die etwas andere Politikcommunity

Beans

you can always install firefox from the mozzila site yourself if you like

Dave

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime”

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question Re: Firefox 1.0.6 and Thunderbird 1.0.6

Even though I am an upgrade fan, 1.0.4 is running really nice, so is it really necessary to update? What are the security issues, if someone knows off the top of their head?

Perhaps it would be best to wait for the Ubuntu group to deal with this one. Mozilla's installation does not seem to comply with synaptic. Ubuntu has firefox spread about where Mozilla is a straight install.

Like one of the examples given, it may be a good idea to install into home, just to give it a try.
    SpEcIeS

Keep consuming technology faster.. I am living off of your feces.

Beans

Well whenever i install software like firefox myself i always dump it into the /opt dir. Synaptic never puts anything there, so i know its all my stuff. Like java, eclipse, firefox

Dave

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thumbs up Re: Firefox 1.0.6 and Thunderbird 1.0.6

Quote Originally Posted by dave9191
    Well whenever i install software like firefox myself i always dump it into the /opt dir. Synaptic never puts anything there, so i know its all my stuff. Like java, eclipse, firefox

Dave
    That is a great idea. Personally I started that one with OpenOffice 1.9 Beta and LimeWire.

Update:
    Just applied the latest 1.0.6 firefox, and I utilized the /opt option. It works really well.
    Last edited by SpEcIeS; July 20th, 2005 at 04:57 PM.
    SpEcIeS

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Sorry but I'm a bit new. Why doesn't the new ff get put straight into the repositories. Also (kinda related) how come things such as gaim are out dated too?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Wink Re: Firefox 1.0.6 and Thunderbird 1.0.6

Quote Originally Posted by DiGiTaLFX
    Sorry but I'm a bit new. Why doesn't the new ff get put straight into the repositories. Also (kinda related) how come things such as gaim are out dated too?
    This issue is version relevent. Every six months Ubuntu distributes a new version; next is breezy. For the impatient, like me, compile + install, create deb's + install, and install packages, like firefox.

In my opinion configure --prefix=/usr ; make ; make install is the easiest, or checkinstall for deb build.
    SpEcIeS

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast