Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Setup the CX6600 on Ubuntu Edgy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Howto: Setup the CX6600 on Ubuntu Edgy

Introduction
    I have written guides for this printer before and I have just had to setup the scanning part again so I am going to rewrite it for Edgy with some new things such as the udev stuff included.

The scanning section from my old guides was put together from material on the www.clasohm.com blog (permalink to article). Most of this stuff is still useful and has been invaluable to the creation of this guide.

For this guide you will need apt-get and a text editor. I use vim as my text editor of choice so if you prefer another simple replace vim with the other editor in any commands below.

The Printer Part
    The CX6600 is now fully supported by Ubuntu out of the box so just open the Gnome Printer Manager and add a printer - it should appear as a detected printer if you have it turned on and plugged in and the driver that is automatically selected works great.

Could it be any easier?

The Scanner Part
    To use the scanner you will need SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy) so lets install that now.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install sane-utils sane
    When that finishes we need to edit a text file to access the scanner and we should check a few things for good measure. Lets check some things first.
    Code:
    cat /etc/sane.d/dll.conf | grep epson
    If that command returns epson then thats fine. If not you need to edit that file and add epson to it.
    Code:
    sudo echo "epson" >> /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
    The next thing to test is the udev rules.
    Code:
    cat /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules | grep CX-6600
    If that returns something like "# Epson Corp.|Stylus CX-6600" then we can continue.

We now need to add a line to the epson backend config file to make it look for our scanner.
    Code:
    sudo echo "usb 0x4b8 0x813" >> /etc/sane.d/epson.conf
    Once this is all done we can restart the udev daemon and test out the setup.
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/udev restart
    Code:
    scanimage -L
    This should give you a line about your scanner. If it tells you there are no scanners detected you probably have a permissions problem and should try that command as root to confirm it.

To get a GUI for the scanner you can install xsane which is a scanner program for Gnome.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xsane
    Uninstallation
    To uninstall this you can delete the printer in the Gnome Printer Manager and use apt to uninstall sane.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge sane-utils sane
    Troubleshooting
    I will be editing and updating this guide as things come to light but if you want help from me please post in this thread as then I will actually notice it - don't email me or start a new thread as its annoying and its better to keep everything about this in one place.

If you are having permissions problems check all the udev stuff is working and that you ran all the commands correctly. If you can scan as root then this post should help you: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...5&postcount=26 [Thanks to Patient0 who came up with this one]
    Last edited by Haegin; February 13th, 2007 at 10:40 PM. Reason: typo
    Regards,
    Haegin
    If all else fails curl up in bed with a good book.
    "<mc44> rob: every time you donít read the topic, god kills a lolcat"

Beans

Re: Howto: Setup the CX6600 on Ubuntu Edgy

I followed your instructions and they worked fine, with two exceptions. First, in testing 45-libsane.rules, I needed to grep for CX-6600 rather than CX6600 to get a match. Second, xsane belongs to root rather than my user account. Even though it is shown as having both read and execute privileges for all groups and users, I can only run it as root. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for catching that error - I have corrected it now.
    When you try and run xsane as your normal user what happens? Does it scan for devices and fail to find them or does it just not run? Try in a console and look at the output.
    If it is a permission error then try
    Code:
    sudo chmod a+rwx /usr/bin/xsane
    and then try and start it again.

Hope this helps
    Regards,
    Haegin

Beans

Unfortunately, adding write permission to the existing read and execute permissions has no effect. Any attempt to scan as a regular user produces the error message "no device available". I can scan images from the CX6600 using sudo and then afterward revise the permissions on the files the scan creates. It's a nuisance, though, and I would prefer to be able to scan those images as a regular user. If any new ideas occur to you, please pass them along -- I will be more than happy to try them out!

For whatever reason, Edgy seems to be a lot more finicky about granting permissions than Dapper was. I followed your previous instructions for installing the scanner driver for the CX6600 under Dapper, and that worked without a hitch. For what it's worth, I did not upgrade from Dapper to Edgy but instead did a clean new install.

BTW, I should have complimented you on your instructions. They are clear, unambiguous, and easy to follow.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the compliment - are you using Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy)? If so try re running the commands to get the scanner working. Does printing work fine? If not then you may have a problem with the device (hopefully not). Also is the scanner local (i.e. attached to your machine)? If not then there are further steps to make it work over the network. The udev stuff should set all the permissions when you plug the device in so you may want to check those files for any obvious typos.
    On final thought is to run lsusb in a terminal. On my machine I get
    Code:
    $ lsusb
    Bus 005 Device 002: ID 04b8:0813 Seiko Epson Corp. 
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    The only interesting line is the first one and the numbers before the name (04b8:0813). You can see these are used in the guide quite a bit so make sure your lsusb entry for the printer includes the same numbers. Note - in the guide they are 0x4b8 and 0x813.
    Finally check you are in the scanner group - I think you should be by default but worth a check.
    Last edited by Haegin; June 6th, 2007 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Ubuntu 6.20 doesnt exist...
    Regards,
    Haegin

Beans

Thanks for the suggestions. They didn't solve the problem, but they did narrow it down.

First, in response to your questions: (1) I'm using Ubuntu 6.10; (2) re-running the commands didn't make any differrence; (3) the printer is connected locally and works just fine (it was recognized and configured during the initial installation of 6.10); (4) I checked the files and didn't find any typos; (5) as normal user I am a member of the scanners group.

Now the more interesting stuff: (1) when I restart udev, the only response is " * Loading additional hardware drivers... "; (2) when I subsequently issue the scanimage -L command as a normal user, it responds with "No scanners were identified. . .", but when I issue that same command preceded by sudo, it responds with "device `epson:libusb:005:010' is a Epson CX6600 flatbed scanner"; (3) the response to the lsusb command (with or without sudo) does NOT include the CX6600, but (4) when I issue the command sane-find-scanner (no sudo), it responds with, among other things, "found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x0813) at libusb:005:010".

So it appears that the problem isn't really finding the scanner but (probably) having access to the proper files with appropriate permissions. The (modified) file epson.conf in /etc/sane.d has read permissions for everyone, but write and execute permissions only for the owner (root). All of the files in /usr/bin whose names start with sa or xs have read and execute permissions for everyong. Presumably, there is a file somewhere used by xsane that has read and/or execute permission for its owner (root) but not for others. Any ideas where to look?

Beans
    Distro

Before sane used udev it used hotplug so you could try the following:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /etc/hotplug
    sudo mkdir /etc/hotplug/usb
    touch /etc/hotplug/usb/libsane.usermap
    echo "libusbscanner 0x0003 0x04b8 0x0813 0x0000 0x0000 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00000000" > /etc/hotplug/usb/libsane.usermap
    Though I had hoped this was not necessary.

Does everybody need to do this? If you used the guide and did not need this please let me know.
    Last edited by Haegin; December 29th, 2006 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Seeking feedback
    Regards,
    Haegin

Beans

That was included in your previous instructions for Dapper, so I had already tried that, and it had no effect. (I subsequently had deleted the hotplug subdirectory, including its usb subdirectory and the libsane.usermap file, so I tried it again just now, but the result was the same.) The only interesting result is that I have to precede the touch and echo commands with sudo in order to get them to work. More and more, this looks like a problem with permissions, but I don't know which other files xsane uses, and so I can't check their settings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Re: Howto: Setup the CX6600 on Ubuntu Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by rdmost View Post
    I followed your previous instructions for installing the scanner driver for the CX6600 under Dapper, and that worked without a hitch.
    I'm still on Dapper (as Edgy has a fatal bug in the nVidia nForce 430 driver ), but I can't seem to locate the previous instructions referenced above. On what should I search?

Quote Originally Posted by rdmost View Post
    BTW, I should have complimented you on your instructions. They are clear, unambiguous, and easy to follow.
    I agree, they are a model of clarity - so much so that I decided to try them on Dapper just for the heck of it. All went swimmingly until I tried the coup de gr‚ce:

ricegf@pluto:~$ scanimage -L
    device `epson:libusb:001:003' is a Epson Unknown model flatbed scanner
    ricegf@pluto:~$ sudo scanimage -L
    device `epson:libusb:001:003' is a Epson Unknown model flatbed scanner
    ricegf@pluto:~$ lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04b8:0813 Seiko Epson Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0604 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB 1.1 Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    ricegf@pluto:~$

Any additional suggestions would be appreciated immensely.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ricegf
    I agree, they are a model of clarity - so much so that I decided to try them on Dapper just for the heck of it. All went swimmingly until I tried the coup de gr‚ce:
    That looks like its working fine - have you tried running
    Code:
    xsane
    and scanning something? If it can't find a scanner when it starts its probably a permissions problem. Note - these instructions should work for Dapper and should work better than my other instructions as Dapper is meant to use udev not hotplug (though I have had success both ways).

Quote Originally Posted by rdmost
    That was included in your previous instructions for Dapper, so I had already tried that, and it had no effect. (I subsequently had deleted the hotplug subdirectory, including its usb subdirectory and the libsane.usermap file, so I tried it again just now, but the result was the same.) The only interesting result is that I have to precede the touch and echo commands with sudo in order to get them to work. More and more, this looks like a problem with permissions, but I don't know which other files xsane uses, and so I can't check their settings.
    The thing that does make me wonder is that the lsusb command doesn't show the scanner - can you try running
    Code:
    dmesg > dmesg_output.txt
    straight after unplugging and replugging the multifunction printer and uploading that file so I can take a look - it's almost as if the pc isn't sure the cx-6600 exists.
    Last edited by Haegin; December 31st, 2006 at 02:15 PM.
    Regards,
    Haegin

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast