Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP: Problem Installing MTGO with Cedega or Wine (Magic the Gathering Online)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: HELP: Problem Installing MTGO with Cedega or Wine (Magic the Gathering Online)

After my last post, I was able to complete the installation of MTGO and play a match online against someone else.

Aside from the incredible slowness of the game, everything seemed to work fine.

Beans

Re: HELP: Problem Installing MTGO with Cedega or Wine (Magic the Gathering Online)

WOW! Thanks this thread worked perfect for me, thanks for everyones input it solve the same problem you all had for me too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Though I would add my two cents here after trying this process for myself. I would have never thought that in my first post I would be GIVING help. =D

To save yourself some headache, if you have an XP CD, you can extract the fonts from there with cabextract. (I found that under Feisty it was already installed)

Commands for the lazy (or learning, like me ) :

mkdir ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/temp/data
    cd /cdrom/I386
    cp sserife.fo_ vgasys.fo_ ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/temp/data
    cd ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/temp/data
    cabextract sserife.fo_ vgasys.fo_
    Then download the installer, and install install with WINE (it takes forever, just like in Windows!)

Though now that I have it installed, it seems to just die when it tries to bring up the intro video. =(
    Last edited by TheMightyBorys; October 17th, 2007 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Looks like I needed to turn on OSS in winecfg. All workie now!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks TheMightyBorys! Your instructions revived my three year old account. I just played a match, a tad sluggish but totally playable, and won. Right now Magic is up and running, I'm sitting in the lobby right now, on my Desk2 Screen.

The only instructions I had to modify was changing:
    cd /cdrom/I386
    to
    cd /cdrom/i386

Other than that, worked great!
    Asus M4A79; AMD Phenom II X4 940 3 GHz Quad Core; x2 Gskill DDR2800 2048MB X 2 (8 Gigs total); Corsair TX850W; NZXT Tempest case; XFX GeForce 9800 GTX+; WD1500HLFS VelociRaptor; Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS;Seagate 250GB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I don't have access to a windows disk and cant find the fonts online. would anyone mind posting them for me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

i also would like these fonts...anyone have them? thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

again, will someone please post these? I'm trying to avoid pirating something for once in my life...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You're asking us to post Microsoft-owned fonts that are not legally available for free, but only come with Windows and are attached to the Windows license, but you don't want to pirate something...

You do see the irony here, right?

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans

You don't need them. If you have tahoma.ttf from msttcorefonts (or windows, or any of the free font websites) you can copy that to sserife.fon/fot and vgasys.fon/fot and it will work. In fact, I just did it.

Beans

If you are like me, and had your downloader crap out at about 97% (internet connection timed out on blah blah blah):

1) open System Monitor with the installer running.
    2) find the "setup.exe" process, under the process tab.
    3) right click and choose "Change Priority"
    4) move the priority slider to the left, increasing it's priority.

I think this is "common knowledge," but it took me a while to find it online, so i posted it here. also, make sure you close any unneccesary programs while running the downloader, and you might still have to click on the boxes that occasionally pop up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast