Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guild Wars: Music Plays, No Game Window

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Exclamation Re: Guild Wars: Music Plays, No Game Window

See, this is exactly why linux will never be mainstream. Because crap like this springs up and there's never really a satisfactory resolution.

Anyway, I just encountered this same exact problem. It happened for me when I put it into window mode alt-enter. Following it I switched from desktop 1 to desktop 2 and then back again, the guild wars window would disappear. Following attempts to start gw yields the same results as you guys have already described.

I think it has something to do with wine not liking gw in window mode and just losing its focus. I suspect gw saves what window size to start with somewhere in gw.dat. So I'm going to boot back into windows, start gw from there, make it fullscreen and see if that fixes it in ubuntu.

Beans

Re: Guild Wars: Music Plays, No Game Window

cant u ppl read heres ur solution read trough all the posts and then paste that you need a frigiin solution
    Quote Originally Posted by dorath View Post
    At wits end, I finally removed Gw.dat, Gw.exe, and Gw.tmp from the \Guild Wars\ directory and reinstalled. I'm short a whole lot of files, but I've got my graphics back again.

Definately better than nuthin'

Beans
    Distro

Arrow Re: Guild Wars: Music Plays, No Game Window

Quote Originally Posted by Trap3d View Post
    cant u ppl read heres ur solution read trough all the posts and then paste that you need a frigiin solution
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwolf View Post
    See, this is exactly why linux will never be mainstream. Because crap like this springs up and there's never really a satisfactory resolution.
    Reinstalling 3-4gigs worth of files just because ubuntu & wine doesn't know how to get back a minimized window is not what I would call a satisfactory resolution. That's like reinstalling the whole operating system just to reset firefox back to its default settings.

Anyway, for those that are still looking for a solution to this problem read on. There IS a much simpler way to fix this. Boot into Windows XP and start gw.exe from there. Once the client is running just maximize with alt-enter or right-click->maximize from the taskbar. Once maximized close the client; you don't even need to login. Reboot back into linux and start it up. It should work normally now.

So everyone has a choice, you can either just delete everything and start from scratch -- redownloading all 3-4gigs worth of it (not really a solution at all if you ask me) or you can fix it by booting into windows. See? windows is good for something.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by greatwolf View Post
    Reinstalling 3-4gigs worth of files just because ubuntu & wine doesn't know how to get back a minimized window is not what I would call a satisfactory resolution. That's like reinstalling the whole operating system just to reset firefox back to its default settings.

Anyway, for those that are still looking for a solution to this problem read on. There IS a much simpler way to fix this. Boot into Windows XP and start gw.exe from there. Once the client is running just maximize with alt-enter or right-click->maximize from the taskbar. Once maximized close the client; you don't even need to login. Reboot back into linux and start it up. It should work normally now.

So everyone has a choice, you can either just delete everything and start from scratch -- redownloading all 3-4gigs worth of it (not really a solution at all if you ask me) or you can fix it by booting into windows. See? windows is good for something.
    firstly now every 1 has xp or any other dual boot second if 3-4 gigs reinstall wich takes up about max 10 mins is like reinstalling whole system i sugest you upgrade your pc... and yes its max 10 mins i know i installed wow tbc + patches up to 2.4.2 in 5 mins that was about 8 gig so stfu plus not everyone need to redownload it plus redownloading wow isnt much for me it took me 3 hrs to do it and if thats much i dont know... i just left it on trought the night

Beans
    Distro

Post Re: Guild Wars: Music Plays, No Game Window

No point arguing with a troll. Those of you who need a solution here it is. Hope you find it useful.

Beans

This has recently happened to me...

I've been trying to figure out what happened that caused it, so far I'm thinking it may have to do with having two copies of GW.exe both messing with GW.dat at the same time... I'll play around a bit, and if that turns out to be the reason why I'll do a script to stop double starts.

Beans

Arrow Re: Guild Wars: Music Plays, No Game Window

I think I have found a potential solution to prevent this problem from occurring. It doesn't work if your copy is already messed up (in that case you'll have to either replace Gw.dat with a working backup or delete it and re-download).

Working with copy of Guild Wars that isn't messed up yet:
    1. Go into winecfg (Wine -> Configure Wine)
    2. Click "Add Application"
    3. choose Gw.exe from where ever it is installed.
    4. Next go into the "Graphics" tab, check "Emulate Virtual Desktop", and put 800x600 as the resolution.

This will cause Guild Wars to run inside a Wine Desktop window, minimizing and spinning the compiz desktop cube will not cause this window to disappear. You can change the resolution by using the graphics options menu inside Guild Wars.

I only run Guild Wars as a window, so this may not work for fullscreen.

Cheers,

-G

Beans

my guild wars is messed up
    it loads and everything but very slowly and the worst problem of them is that it is upside down

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12