Thread: [SOLVED] Firefox does not open pdf-documents

Beans

[SOLVED] Firefox does not open pdf-documents

When clicking a link to a pdf document in Firefox 2 (installed with the ubuntuzilla-script) I can choose to save it to disk or to browse for a program to open it.

When it is saved I simply click on it and it opens in KPDF 0.5.2. (using KDE 3.5.2), but I do not always want to save fist, you see.

Where can I find the program that will open the file? I do not know the way outside the /home directory.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Firefox does not open pdf-documents

you would choose to browse, head over to /usr/bin/kpdf, and voila!
    Asus EeePC 1005HA: ElementaryOS Luna | Asus X501A: Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu GNOME 14.10 Utopic Unicorn | Apple iMac G4: Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin | LG Optimus F3: Stock v7 | Nexus 10 Cyanogenmod 11

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

as moore.bryan says, kpdf is in /usr/bin/kpdf
    so when it says browse, just find that.

Beans
    Distro

oh, by the way, is there any particular reason you chose to install 6.06 instead of the latest 7.04 of ubuntu?

Beans

if everything was to be solved as easy as that!

I chose 6.06 because I had a CD ready (from a magazine from quite a while ago) while my computer just had a hard disk crash and needed a new "C:-drive" (it was windows before the crash).

And I had read something about the time this version will stay supported - I like computer-stuff, but I am a bit fed up with installing and configuration things. So if a new install can be postponed I am happy to use the stuff I have.

PS
    some things do not come out of the box, which gives me still install and configuration fuss > if it was not for this, I would tell all my friends to move to kubuntu instead of buying a new PC when windows becomes too slow.

Beans

Red face Re: Firefox does not open pdf-documents

I have a really strange problem. I installed the adobe pdf plugin (blame it on automatix), but I didn't like it. So I just uninstalled it and now pdfs won't open. I don't even get the the option to download or open using a program. Instead, I just get an pop up window saying that the PATH variable to adobe is not set. How do I just revert to how it was?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ingridt View Post
    When clicking a link to a pdf document in Firefox 2 (installed with the ubuntuzilla-script) I can choose to save it to disk or to browse for a program to open it.

When it is saved I simply click on it and it opens in KPDF 0.5.2. (using KDE 3.5.2), but I do not always want to save fist, you see.

Where can I find the program that will open the file? I do not know the way outside the /home directory.
    im sure if you go hunthing thru the firefox addons at the mozilla site there is one there that will do what you want

infact here it is

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/636
    Ubuntu user # 16304 www.nocleanfeed.com
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything, don't do it, and don't run any command with rm in it unless you know exactly what you're doing.things i have learnt changing from Xp pro to Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bharath Krishnan View Post
    I have a really strange problem. I installed the adobe pdf plugin (blame it on automatix), but I didn't like it. So I just uninstalled it and now pdfs won't open. I don't even get the the option to download or open using a program. Instead, I just get an pop up window saying that the PATH variable to adobe is not set. How do I just revert to how it was?
    are you using the repos version of firefox, or the official mozilla version?

what is the exact text of the pop up?

do you have anything pdf-related listed in the "about:plugins" page for firefox?
    Last edited by nanotube; July 29th, 2007 at 07:11 AM.