Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Lexmark Printers

Hybrid View

Beans

Lightbulb HOWTO: Lexmark Printers

Hello everyone. This is a ubuntu-adopted version of the gentoo howto (which I originally wrote) http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Lexmark_Printers

Printers that this howto covers (there are many, many others, but these are the printers that have been confirmed to work so far (also note that Dell's printers are merely rebranded Lexmarks):

Lexmark 5700 (black & white only)
    Lexmark X1100
    Lexmark X1110
    Lexmark X1130
    Lexmark X1140
    Lexmark X1150
    Lexmark X1180
    Lexmark X1185
    Lexmark Z513
    Lexmark Z515
    Lexmark Z715
    Lexmark Z55
    Lexmark Z615
    Lexmark Z705
    Lexmark Z605
    Lexmark Z600
    Lexmark Z25
    Dell A920
    Z65 (z65 driver)
    Lexmark Z33 (z35 driver)
    Lexmark Z33 (z35 driver)
    With that said, let's get to it!

The driver we'll be using is the z600 one, which can be found here. Even if your printer isn't a z600 this driver works with a LOT of Lexmark's, so try this driver first.

Download the driver, save it to a desktop folder such as `lexmark` (I say _folder_ because extracting the driver is a messy process!).

Obviously, exclude the comments to the right of the hash (#) marks, I include them only to explain the commands.

Code:
    $ mkdir lexmark
    $ mv CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz lexmark # move the package to a folder. optional, but recommended. 
    $ tar -xvzf CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz # extract the driver.
    $ tail -n +143 z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh > install.tar.gz # the sh script is broken for newer systems. use `tail` to extract the binary portion of the script.
    $ tar -xvzf install.tar.gz # extract the contents produced by tail
    $ alien -t z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz.
    $ alien -t z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz.
    $ sudo tar xvzf  z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place
    $ sudo tar xvzf z600cups-1.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place
    $ sudo ldconfig # DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP or your printer backend won't find required libraries
    $ cd /usr/share/cups/model
    $ sudo gunzip Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz # unzip the ppd, which should _not_ be gzipped
    The driver is now installed. Restart the cups daemon:
    Code:
    /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart
    Check whether the printer backend works;
    Code:
    $ cd /usr/lib/cups/backend
    $ ./z600
    The output of the above command should be _similar_ to this:
    direct z600:/dev/usb/lp0 "Lexmark Lexmark Z600 Series" "Lexmark Printer"
    If you get no output, mount the usb filesystem.

Add this to your /etc/fstab file:

Code:
    usbfs         /proc/bus/usb usbfs   devgid=14,devmode=0660 0 0
    Then just type: sudo mount usbfs. That should fix it.

Now simply set up your printer through the System->Administration->Printing in gnome. Make sure you select the z600 driver, and you're golden.

For KDE users...well, you'll have to use whatever printer dialogue that KDE provides.

There you have it! If you need any help, post to this thread.
    Last edited by black hole sun; April 6th, 2006 at 01:54 AM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Lexmark Printers

Quote Originally Posted by black hole sun
    Hello everyone. This is a ubuntu-adopted version of the gentoo howto (which I originally wrote) http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Lexmark_Printers

Printers that this howto covers (there are many, many others, but these are the printers that have been confirmed to work so far (also note that Dell's printers are merely rebranded Lexmarks):

With that said, let's get to it!

The driver we'll be using is the z600 one, which can be found here. Even if your printer isn't a z600 this driver works with a LOT of Lexmark's, so try this driver first.

Download the driver, save it to a desktop folder such as `lexmark` (I say _folder_ because extracting the driver is a messy process!).

Obviously, exclude the comments to the right of the hash (#) marks, I include them only to explain the commands.

Code:
    $ mkdir lexmark
    $ mv CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz lexmark # move the package to a folder. optional, but recommended. 
    $ tar -xvzf CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz # extract the driver.
    $ tail -n +143 z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh > install.tar.gz # the sh script is broken for newer systems. use `tail` to extract the binary portion of the script.
    $ tar -xvzf install.tar.gz # extract the contents produced by tail
    $ alien -t z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz.
    $ alien -t z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz.
    $ sudo tar xvzf  z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place
    $ sudo tar xvzf z600cups-1.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place
    $ sudo ldconfig # DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP or your printer backend won't find required libraries
    $ cd /usr/share/cups/model
    $ sudo gunzip Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz # unzip the ppd, which should _not_ be gzipped
    The driver is now installed. Restart the cups daemon:
    Code:
    /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart
    Check whether the printer backend works;
    Code:
    $ cd /usr/lib/cups/backend
    $ ./z600
    The output of the above command should be _similar_ to this:If you get no output at all, you have problems.

Now simply set up your printer through the System->Administration->Printing in gnome. Make sure you select the z600 driver, and you're golden.

For KDE users...well, you'll have to use whatever printer dialogue that KDE provides.

There you have it! If you need any help, post to this thread.

Thanks for trying though

I have a z35 and it didn't work. It initialized and move the paper but that was it.

also the last line

couldn't do because there was no .gz at the end
    but z600 showed up in the folder where it was supposed to be
    and the test came out ok with
    "direct z600:/dev/usb/lp0 "Lexmark Inkjet color printer" "Lexmark Printer""

but no luck on my end.

thanks anyway.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by michellembrodeur
    Thanks for trying though

I have a z35 and it didn't work. It initialized and move the paper but that was it.

also the last line

but no luck on my end.

thanks anyway.
    Did you try the z600 or z35 driver? Your printer should be able to work!

Beans

thanks dude!! i have lexmark z615 and it really helped me!!! thanks a lot again

Beans

Hmm, I can't select another driver to use in the Gnome printer tool, anyone know why this is?

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Spudgun
    Hmm, I can't select another driver to use in the Gnome printer tool, anyone know why this is?

Thanks in advance.
    What do you mean by "another driver"? You mean the lexmark one?

Have you re-started CUPS?

Beans

Unhappy Re: HOWTO: Lexmark Printers

Quote Originally Posted by michellembrodeur View Post
    Thanks for trying though

also the last line

but no luck on my end.

thanks anyway.
    Well, got the driver from lexmark for the 2650 ( I think) and got it to partially install but my computer still says the 5470 is not plugged in USB wise and I can't finish the full driver install until the USB cord is connected. Help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have a Lexmark X2600 and when I was using 8.10 I downloaded the driver from Lexmark and walked though the Lexmark set up and I was done, everything worked. Now I upgrade to 9.04 and it will not print at all.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I do not want to go back to 8.10 if I don't have to but I will if that is the only solution.

Beans

I am working with Jaunty and have a lexmark x5150 and installed the z55 driver. The printer will not print the test page, and displays the following status:

/usr/lib/cups/filter/rasteroz55 failed

What can I do to fix this problem? Any help is appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Everyone, I am now able to print!!

I did not realize I was getting the "cups-mising-filter" error when I was trying to print. I had a backup of my etc folder with my old /etc/cups/ppd folder and I copied its contents into my 9.04 cups folder and ran the command found here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=590256

Everything works perfectly now!!

Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast