Page 15 of 70 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Lexmark Printers

Beans
    Hidden!

Dell A920 problems

Hi there!

Thanks for putting this together. I have a Dell A920 I'd like to get working. My platform is Kubuntu Breezy (allthough I have plans of a Dapper upgrade soon).

Quote Originally Posted by black hole sun View Post
    The driver is now installed. Restart the cups daemon:
    Code:
    /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart
    Check whether the printer backend works;
    Code:
    $ cd /usr/lib/cups/backend
    $ ./z600
    The output of the above command should be _similar_ to this:
    I got this far, and it worked.
    Code:
    root@owl:/usr/lib/cups/backend>  ./z600
    direct z600:/dev/usb/lp0 "Lexmark Dell A920" "Lexmark Printer"
    Then I run the KDE config tool, and at first it looks good, since the printer shows up in the port selection dialogue, it even shows as Dell A920!

But then something goes wrong. When building the list of drivers, nothing comes up, so I select "others", and select z600. It detects an error:

Code:
    Wrong driver format.
    /usr/lib/cups/backend/z600(line 1): syntax error, unexpected OPTION
    I think, in a previous trail, that I saw a complaint about something on line 92 as well...

On my terminal, it says
    Code:
    kdeprint: WARNING: PPD syntax error, PPD parse failed
    Any ideas here?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Dell A920 problems

Quote Originally Posted by KjetilK View Post
    Code:
    Wrong driver format.
    /usr/lib/cups/backend/z600(line 1): syntax error, unexpected OPTION
    I think, in a previous trail, that I saw a complaint about something on line 92 as well...

On my terminal, it says
    Code:
    kdeprint: WARNING: PPD syntax error, PPD parse failed
    Actually, I decided to make a final attempt as a normal user rather than root. And then it worked. So, perhaps it was some kind of stale driver cache or something? If that's the case, how can I flush the cache?

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Lexmark Printers

Thanks Black Hole Sun!

Your original post, the very first one, got me up and running with no problems!

Best,

LLL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

When I get to the

$ alien -t z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz.
    $ alien -t z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz.
    steps, it says

Code:
    bash: alien: command not found
    -Matt
    (Ubuntu user #9138)
    (Linux User #419497)

Beans

I had the same problem, the solution is in this thread.

If I recall correctly it was:

sudo apt-get install alien
    Best,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I keep getting this error

bash: alien: command not found

this is after I type:
    $ alien -t z600cups-1.01.i386.rpm

any ideas?

Beans

Did you do this:

Sudo apt-get install alien
    If that doesn't work, make sure that you have the universe and community repositories enabled. It might be among those repositories.

Best,

Beans

Thanks it worked, i don thave much ink, but when i printed i did see the shadow of what i wrote, so thanks. I dont understand how the whole process worked so need to work on that. but overall-thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Many many thanks for this <black hole sun>.
    I've re-done it as it worked out for me and hopefully even a total newbie, like myself, will be able to follow it and have a working Lexmark Z35 Printer.
    WeeMikey

Quote Originally Posted by black hole sun View Post
    Hello everyone. This is a ubuntu-adopted version of the gentoo howto (which I originally wrote) http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Lexmark_Printers

Printers that this howto covers (there are many, many others, but these are the printers that have been confirmed to work so far (also note that Dell's printers are merely rebranded Lexmarks):

With that said, let's get to it!

%% black hole sun,
    I'd like to make a couple of suggestions which I found necessary:

first off I installed <alien> by going through <System> <Administration> <Synaptic Package Manager> <Search> <alien>.

then for your driver go to:

http://support.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/...cs=-1:1:0::0:0

select your country and go from there.
    When I got to the drivers section I picked up the Red Hat Linux driver as it's a *.rpm file which suits your script.

The driver we'll be using is the z600 one, which can be found here. Even if your printer isn't a z600 this driver works with a LOT of Lexmark's, so try this driver first.

At this point I went to <Places> <Home Folder> then clicked on <File> <New Folder> and when that appeared named it <lexmark>. Then on the download of the driver I assigned it to that folder.

Download the driver, save it to a desktop folder such as `lexmark` (I say _folder_ because extracting the driver is a messy process!).

Obviously, exclude the comments to the right of the hash (#) marks, I include them only to explain the commands.

These first two lines of code aren't necessary if you have already done the suggestions above

$ mkdir lexmark
    $ mv CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz lexmark # move the package to a folder. optional, but recommended.

]Open a terminal through <Applications> <Accessories> <Terminal> and follow the script. I entered <sudo> at the start of each line of script - probably not necessary, but it made me feel better! This way your first line of code would be entered as:

$ sudo tar -xvzf CJLZ35LE-CUPS-2.0-1.TAR.GZ

rather than:

$ tar -xvzf CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz # extract the driver.

My specific driver for Z35 was named <CJLZ35LE-CUPS-2.0-1.TAR.GZ> so I substituted that in the line of code -exactly, remember capitals MUST be capitals, and lower case must be lower case for linux file names. Sorry to state the obvious to old timers, but it took me a while to learn many of these things.
    At this point examine your extracted files and note their names -exactly!
    I found <lexmarkz35-CUPS-2.0-1.gz.sh> and used that in the next line of the script.

$ tail -n +143 z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh > install.tar.gz # the sh script is broken for newer systems. use `tail` to extract the binary portion of the script.
    $ tar -xvzf install.tar.gz # extract the contents produced by tail

In these next two lines, using <alien> I found, through an error message, that I had to add <c> after the <-t> to get the scripts done too. For example the next 2 lines of code should read:

$ alien -tc lexmarkz35_CUPS-2.0-1.i386.rpm
    $ alien -tc z35llpddk-2.0-2.i386.rpm

or the equivalent file names for your driver. You can see that it is important to identify equivalent files!

$ alien -t z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz.
    $ alien -t z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz.

In the next two lines of code again make sure you have identified your specific *.tgz files AND don't forget the </> following the space after <C>. I did and it makes a mess

$ sudo tar xvzf z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place
    $ sudo tar xvzf z600cups-1.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place
    $ sudo ldconfig # DO NOT SKP THIS STEP or your printer backend won't find required libraries
    $ cd /usr/share/cups/model

At this point I went to the selection bar at the top of the main window and clicked <Places> <Computer> <Filesystem> <usr> <share> <cups> <model> to identify the correct file for the next line of code. This turned out to be <Lexmark-Z35-lxz35cj-cups.ppd.gz> so I used that, Mind those CAPITALS and lower case letters!

$ sudo gunzip Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz # unzip the ppd, which should _not_ be gzipped[/code]

The driver is now installed.

Now open a new Terminal window <Applications> <Accessories> <Terminal> and enter:
    $ sudo /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart
    you'll be asked for your password and you'll get the message:
    *Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd
    $ ./z35

at which point I got the message:

direct z35:/dev/usblp0 "Lexmark Inkjet color printer" "Lexmark Printer"

All is well! Carry on as below at the <If you get no output...> if you get no output. I didn't have to do this so I can't say if it works or not.
    Then jump to the <Now simply set up your printer ....>.

Restart the cups daemon:
    Code:
    /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart
    Check whether the printer backend works;
    Code:
    $ ./z600
    The output of the above command should be _similar_ to this:
    If you get no output, mount the usb filesystem.

Add this to your /etc/fstab file:

Code:
    usbfs         /proc/bus/usb usbfs   devgid=14,devmode=0660 0 0
    Then just type: sudo mount usbfs. That should fix it.

Now simply set up your printer through the System->Administration->Printing in gnome. Make sure you select the z600 driver, and you're golden.

The only difference I found here was that my printer showed up as <Z35-v2.0-1> and the driver was listed as <standard> . If you enter the <Properties> option of the Printer itself you'll find the Driver as:
    Manufacturer: Lexmark
    Model: Z35 v2.0-1
    Driver: Standard (suggested)

Go to <System> <Adminstration> <Printing>, your new Printer will appear in the <Printers> box. Right click on it and highlight <Properties>. Check out the <Advanced> tab: I selected:
    PageRegion: Letter
    Output Mode: Grayscale # can't afford colour cans
    Print Quality: Draft (300 dpi> # life is short
    Inkset: # whatever suits you.

For KDE users...well, you'll have to use whatever printer dialogue that KDE provides.

There you have it! If you need any help, post to this thread.
    I really hopes this helps - especially all the new folks out there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Worked perfect for my x1150, thanks!

Page 15 of 70 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast