Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: HOWTO: Lexmark Printers

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but here goes

I have a lexmark s301 printer I'm trying to install on 10.10
    I downloaded the driver from Lexmarks site

lexmark-inkjet-legacy-wJRE-1.0-1.amd64.deb.sh

It opens a window saying it will install the drivers
    After accepting the license agreement, a new window pops up, saying

" This operation requires root(administrative) privileges.
    Please enter the administrative password below: "

but when I do it tells me the password is incorrect? I know I'm entering the correct password, I've even tried it with caps lock on/off number lock on/off and every other way I can think of to enter the same password, but I keep getting the same output.
    My password works when I run synaptic and every other thing that needs root access.

Anyone have any ideas about this?
    I figure it's a problem with the Lexmark software, but I'm a newb to linux so I don't know how else to do it.
    I tried searching through the install CD for the PPD file, but didn't find anything
    I sent an email to Lexmark's tech support, but who knows how long that will take, so I thought I'd try here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ahh, nevermind, I found the answer to this problem here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=nautilus

Printer works great now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I can confirm that the method given on page 57 of this thread works for a Lexmark X1290. I was able to get it running in linux using the Z600 driver.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...exmark&page=57

There's just a few little things you need to be aware of:

-You need libstdc++5 installed, and this can no longer be obtained in one step using sudo apt-get, I think because libstdc++6 supersedes it. You need to do it this way. On 64 bit the following should do the trick
    Code:
    wget  http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/universe/g/gcc-3.3/libstdc++5_3.3.6-20_amd64.deb 
    dpkg-deb -x libstdc++5_3.3.6-20_amd64.deb ia64-libs 
    sudo cp ia64-libs/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5.0.7 /usr/lib64/ 
     wget  http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/i/ia32-libs/ia32-libs_20090808ubuntu2_amd64.deb 
    dpkg-deb -x ia32-libs_20090808ubuntu2_amd64.deb ia32-libs 
    sudo cp ia32-libs/usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.5.0.7 /usr/lib32/ 
    cd /usr/lib64/ 
    sudo ln -s libstdc++.so.5.0.7 libstdc++.so.5 
    cd /usr/lib32 
    On 32 bit this worked for me:
    Code:
    wget  http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/universe/g/gcc-3.3/libstdc++5_3.3.6-20_i386.deb 
    dpkg-deb -x libstdc++5_3.3.6-20_i386.deb libstdc++-files 
    sudo cp libstdc++-files/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5.0.7 /usr/lib/ 
    cd /usr/lib/ 
    -the guide on page 57 says in step B-4 you should get some output after running ./z600
    I got no output, even after editing /etc/fstab, but the method still worked.

If you edited fstab and the computer hangs at startup, boot to a command line and just comment out the line you added and all should be well.

I hope this helps someone, and thanks to ShadowMage for the original method.
    Last edited by TheBigH; June 11th, 2012 at 03:46 AM.

Beans

I have finally opted for the ultimate solution.

I was having all kinds of issues with my Lexmark - hardware related. So I went out and bought an HP deskjet for about $100.

It took five minutes to unpack it, plug it in and do the 'add printer' thing to get a test page printed. No terminal, no downloading, no work arounds, no searching the net for virtual rubber bands and duct tape. It just works.

If you can do it, I'd recommend going to HP. The support is terrific. Lexmark is just a pita. You will kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

Beans

All credit to and thank you to black hole sun for starting this thread and sharing how to get lexmark printers working in ubuntu.

Just adding update for what worked to get my old lexmark x1270 working in ubuntu 12.04.

Referring to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal was very handy for getting to grips of what and how to do simple tasks using Terminal.

Download and save the driver cjlz600le-cups-1.0-1.tar.gz (which Lexmark calls "Driver for RedHat Linux 9.0") from http://support.lexmark.com using your favorite browser.

From terminal install alien and libstdc++5 which are z600cups dependencies
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install alien
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libstdc++5
    To unzip and install driver-give these commands from terminal
    Code:
    $mkdir Lexmark
    $cd Downloads #or location of file downloaded from Lexmark website.
    $mv CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz ~/Lexmark
    $cd Lexmark
    $ tar -xvzf CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz # extract the driver. 
    $ tail -n +143 z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh > install.tar.gz # the sh script is broken for newer systems. use `tail` to extract the binary portion of the script. 
    $ tar -xvzf install.tar.gz # extract the contents produced by tail 
    $ sudo alien --scripts -t z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz. 
    $ sudo alien --scripts -t z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz. 
    $ sudo tar xvzf  z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place 
    $ sudo tar xvzf z600cups-1.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place 
    $ sudo ldconfig # DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP or your printer backend won't find required libraries 
    $ cd /usr/share/cups/model 
    $ sudo gunzip Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz # unzip the ppd, which should _not_ be gzipped
    $ exit
    Then connect printer and switch on and go to settings button at top right of unity desktop click and select printers.
    Click Add
    Select device from list and click forward
    Leaving "Select printer from database" selected choose "Lexmark" and then click forward
    Select Z600 v1.0-1 driver
    Rename device and description to your liking and apply.

Reboot

Go printing.
    Last edited by Geezanansa; September 8th, 2012 at 07:18 PM.
    The difference between knowledge and wisdom is knowing what to do or just doing it. I know nothing and get little done.

Beans

Thank you very much. I followed the directions step by step and my Lexmark X1195 started to print.

Beans

in Ubuntu 12.04, Lexmark X1195 printerpart works now; thank you; after upgrade to Ubuntu 12.10 scannerpart works fine with xscanimage;

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just an update to my previous thread:

the link I provided to get the libstdc++5 library is now broken. But you can download it from one of the mirrors listed at

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/i...dc++5/download

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Geezanansa View Post
    All credit to and thank you to black hole sun for starting this thread and sharing how to get lexmark printers working in ubuntu.

Just adding update for what worked to get my old lexmark x1270 working in ubuntu 12.04.

Referring to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal was very handy for getting to grips of what and how to do simple tasks using Terminal.

Download and save the driver cjlz600le-cups-1.0-1.tar.gz (which Lexmark calls "Driver for RedHat Linux 9.0") from http://support.lexmark.com using your favorite browser.

From terminal install alien and libstdc++5 which are z600cups dependencies
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install alien
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libstdc++5
    To unzip and install driver-give these commands from terminal
    Code:
    $mkdir Lexmark
    $cd Downloads #or location of file downloaded from Lexmark website.
    $mv CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz ~/Lexmark
    $cd Lexmark
    $ tar -xvzf CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz # extract the driver. 
    $ tail -n +143 z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh > install.tar.gz # the sh script is broken for newer systems. use `tail` to extract the binary portion of the script. 
    $ tar -xvzf install.tar.gz # extract the contents produced by tail 
    $ sudo alien --scripts -t z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz. 
    $ sudo alien --scripts -t z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz. 
    $ sudo tar xvzf  z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place 
    $ sudo tar xvzf z600cups-1.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place 
    $ sudo ldconfig # DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP or your printer backend won't find required libraries 
    $ cd /usr/share/cups/model 
    $ sudo gunzip Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz # unzip the ppd, which should _not_ be gzipped
    $ exit
    Then connect printer and switch on and go to settings button at top right of unity desktop click and select printers.
    Click Add
    Select device from list and click forward
    Leaving "Select printer from database" selected choose "Lexmark" and then click forward
    Select Z600 v1.0-1 driver
    Rename device and description to your liking and apply.

Reboot

Go printing.
    I tried your how-to for my Lexmark X1150 on Ubuntu 12.04. The installation went fine, the printer was detected correctly. However, it don't print anything. I'm at a loss what to do... Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2060686970