Page 55 of 70 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Lexmark Printers

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Lexmark Printers

Quote Originally Posted by pwebster25 View Post
    Jimmy_J, Sorry I can't be more helpful. Your X5650 isn't even listed on the openprinting.org site. I would suggest you try the steps in the how to here, maybe with this very most recent driver. See what you get. Either way, post it to openprinting.org so that others will know what has been tried and whether it worked or not. I found very little at on the web about this model on Linux but it might be just a lucky day that it might use this same driver. Your model number is pretty close to mine and it works for me (mine is X6150).

Well, I switched back to Windows today... What a pain in the @ss it is working with Windows again. I have used Linux for almost 2 years but it lacks driver support for many types of peripherals. This is something that really needs to be addressed. I'll dump my windows system and come back but someone has to provide me with a fix to this. I spent 3 days trying to get my AIO to work and that was more than enough for me to say screw it. Give me the exacto steps that "Will" make my Lexmark X5650 work and I'll be back... XP is so static compared to Ubuntu...
    Last edited by jimmy_j71; September 3rd, 2009 at 08:46 PM.

Beans

By the way, thanks for trying anyway... I'm just frustrated and embarrassed to say that I am a Windows user again... I have failed...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by acornbrain View Post
    Seal,

I don't have the directory "usr\lib64\cups\backend" in my file system.

Question: under Printer Configuration, what is the proper "Device URI"? I am connected via a usb hub.
    I thought I saw somewhere in your message that you had a 64 bit system If not, then, I guess you shouldn't have a ***\lib64\*** directory.

As for the device URI, mine is like this:
    usb://Lexmark%20/Z600%20Series

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Sale View Post
    I thought I saw somewhere in your message that you had a 64 bit system If not, then, I guess you shouldn't have a ***\lib64\*** directory.

As for the device URI, mine is like this:
    usb://Lexmark%20/Z600%20Series
    naw, no 64 bit for me.

that doesn't match my URI either, but perhaps it shouldn't. I tried a couple of different URI's i copied from forums, but no change. just thought I may have been on to something there.

I'm pretty sure i'm getting fouled up in the CUPS "backend" part of the howto, but perhaps I messed something up even before that step. the closest I ever got was the status screen on the printer itself actually read "Printing..." but nothing ever happened. Jobs were in limbo "processing" in the queue until I got fed up and cancelled them.

what saddens me is, it seems like my dream of ditching windows is slowly dying (for now). Even dual-booting doesn't seem to make sense if I can't even print. (I tell you what, I'm never buying another piece of hardware unless I check the Ubuntu forums first for Linux-compatibility)

first it was the wireless adapter, but I solved that. Then I found out I'd still need to keep windows around for iTunes and AutoCAD and a couple of other programs. OK, bummer, but I could live with that. Now this dell a922/lexmark z600 fiasco.

Actualy, this leads me to another point: Every time I try to patch some bug, or use some workaround, it never hits a homerun on the first try. that's fine, I'm a stubborn sort anyway. But I'm getting worried that all these failed "strikes" in the meantime are clogging up my nice, clean Ubuntu install with downloaded scripts and packages that I don't need. I don't think I could even recall them all. I'm scared to use the computer janitor.

Beans

I have installed my z600 driver but my printer still does not work. This the message I get. I no idea what I am to do from this point. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Is there anyone out there that can provide me with proper steps to get my Lexmark X5650 installed on Ubuntu 9.04??? My computer is an Intel P4 3Ghz... This Windows garbage is killing me. I haven't had to worry about spyware or viruses in almost 2 years... Someone must know something??? All I need is my AIO to work as a basic printer... Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!!
    Last edited by jimmy_j71; September 7th, 2009 at 01:20 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by roger6106 View Post
    Originally Posted by black hole sun
    The driver is now installed. Restart the cups daemon:
    Code:

Code:
    /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart
    I had to do that with sudo for it to work.
    I have the x1170, I ran it fine on my old installation but upgraded recently and can't do it now.

1. I couldn't find the non-distro-specific driver on the page from the link, but there was one for RedHat and I tried that. I went through all the steps of the howto with no problems.

2. I don't have a /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys - there is a /etc/rc2.d/S20cupsys though and I did
    Code:
    # /etc/rc2.d/S20cupsys restart
    instead - does that matter? Could it be because of a RH specific driver?

I also did a
    Code:
    # /etc/init.d/cupsys restart
    and both put out
    Code:
     * Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd                         [ OK ]
    Everything still seemed fine, I get the correct
    Code:
     direct z600:/dev/usb/lp0 "Lexmark  Lexmark X1100 Series" "Lexmark Printer"

3. I use xfce and the printer does not appear in the printing settings or the print dialog (there is only the print-to-pdf there).

4. I really do not understand this:
    Code:
    # /usr/lib/cups/backend/z600 options
    Usage: z600 job-id user title copies options file
    I tried using utilities or just z600 as well (in the place of options) but none helped.

Where am I going wrong? Any clues?

Beans

jaunty on KDE 4.x Z640 printer
    use the code below for restarting
    Code:
    sudo /etc/rc2.d/S50cups restart
    If that doesn't work, do an
    Code:
    cd /etc/rc2.d
    ls
    and substitute the cups program you have in the restart line.

Browse to http://localhost:631/printers (with internet browser)

Add your printer and browse to /usr/share/cups/model and select
    Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd for the driver file
    Last edited by n2stc; September 15th, 2009 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Clarification
    Everything is NOT relative.

Beans

hi guys, i need some help. im trying this guide with a lexmark z730.

when i try the line:-

/etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart

i get the error:-

bash: /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys: No such file or directory

can anyone help with this?

thanks,
    alex

Beans

See my post above yours.

Also see
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ty#post7115192