Page 41 of 70 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Lexmark Printers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: HOWTO: Lexmark Printers

daevyd, nobody can help you if you don't explain what problems you're running into. Take a deep breath and post your problem. Wait to see what someone says - I've been waiting for my reply, and I'm going to keep waiting since that's the only choice I have.

If you are that frustrated, you should look into an alternative option to printing, just in case you can't get your printer working in Ubuntu before your son's schooling starts. Going to a library or having your son go to a friend's house may be an option.

I wish you the best of luck.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jjgomera View Post
    Really, this guide is incomplete, or not for noobs.

Now is same error again, if you have moved driver file to lexmark directory, your file is not in environment of terminal

you must do before:
    ~$ cd lexmark
    ~/lexmank$
    I wish I could afford to by a printer that is compatible with Linux without any configuring, but I cannot afford it. Thank you for your patience with me.

I made some progress, but now I get confused on the following:

Code:
    Add this to your /etc/fstab file:

usbfs         /proc/bus/usb usbfs   devgid=14,devmode=0660 0 0
    My problem is that I do not know what to type into terminal to open up the fstab file. As a learning experience, I opened up the file in text editor and pasted the line of text, but I am not allowed to save the file. So, I need to do this via Terminal.

I tried ~$ cd /etc and I can get into the folder, however I do not know how to open up the fstab file through Terminal or how to add the required line into the fstab file.

Beans

you can do it:

sudo nautilus

and navigate to folder to open the file, you will can save changes in files

or:

sudo gedit /etc/fstab
    mujeres y hombres de esta tierra
    un otro mundo es posible
    otro mundo diferente
    justo si, y sin miedo de su gente

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm getting error messages telling me these files already exist. By the way my version of Ubuntu is installed INSIDE Windows if that matters at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I got it to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Check it out at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ha...tifuncPrinters followed it to the letter and viola!!!

Beans

anyone can tell me if the instruction in the first post work for X1270 model also?

Beans
    Distro

jjgomera - Thank you so much for the help! I was trying to install this driver for my Dell A920 (which is actually a Lexmark printer). I then realized that the ink for Dell A920 was too expensive, so I would not use it for printing (just scanning). I had a second printer, a Lexmark z645. This Lexmark z600 driver worked! I was surprised to see that the scanner on the Dell A920 works too. Now, I can finally uninstall Windows XP and not have to dual-boot. I just hope that when I reinstall Ubuntu, I will be able to reinstall the z600 driver without any problems.

daevyd - I am very happy your printer works!

nearownkira - Here is a useful link regarding your printer model: http://www.openprinting.org/show_pri...=Lexmark-X1270

This site (openprinting) told me that my own Lexmark z645 was a "paperweight", but installing the z600 driver makes my printer work. I would suggest that you try to install the z600 driver since it sounds like it will work for your printer model.

Beans

I have this problem:

Code:
    ian@ian-desktop:/usr/share/cups/model$ /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart
    bash: /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys: No such file or directory
    But the printer still installs. However, I tried printing a test page, but nothing happened. It just made noise, and nothing printed.
    Last edited by Izek; July 22nd, 2008 at 09:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have read your thread with interest and I followed everything until you mention entering code.Please give me step by step instructions of where to go to enter the code. I have only just downloaded Ubuntu8.04 and would dearly love to get rid of Windows.........Dave

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have read your thread with interest and I followed everything until you mention entering code.
    enter it on the terminal. it's on Applications>Accessories>Terminal.
    enter a line at a time. do not enter what follows the # (it's in the code just as comment).
    --
    do anyone know whether the tutorial works on hardy (ubuntu 8.4.1)?

Page 41 of 70 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast