Page 28 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Lexmark Printers

Beans

Angry Re: HOWTO: Lexmark Printers

hi i have a lexmark x1180 and the printer doesnt zeem to work help me here pleaaaaaaaaaseee:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: HOWTO: Lexmark Printers

I just got my x1150 to print after a lot of trial and even more error. The tutorial on page one worked when I made this change. First down load the file from lexmark.Next install alien,in terminal type install get alien. Next type this command
    cd Desktop
    notice that the D in Desktop is capitalized. this will add the word Desktop to your prompt. Now run every command listed in the tutorial. I copied and paste each line one at a time. Before you enter the command tail -n +143 z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh > install.tar.gz # you will want to open the lexmark folder on your desktop and drag the file z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh out of the folder and on to the desktop.
    During this process my desktop was filled with about 15 or 20 icons. Don't worry about them, we will clean up later.
    Once you have ran all the commands from page 1s tutorial , you will need to go to System>Administration>Printing on your desktop. Click on add new printer. select the detected printer and click forward. it will suggest you use a driver, DON'T. Click install driver. A window opens titled select a ppd file. There will be an arrow< button next to your user name click that arrow twice. From this menu scroll down to a file marked usr. Click usr twice to get a new menu. scroll down to the file share,click twice,scroll to the file cups, click twice, Scroll down to model,click twice and then among your choices should be Lexmark -Z600-lxz600.ppd Click twice to install and then print something.
    I sure hope this works for you. It took me about 7 hours t get mine printing.
    Last edited by abrianb; August 6th, 2007 at 05:06 AM. Reason: new info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I have Ubuntu for just two days.
    I tried the HOWTO on my Ubuntu 7.04, and it doesn't work.
    I think I had a few problems - "alien" is not installed, and no matter what I couldn't make the last code line - /.z600 - work.
    Trying to enter the whole code at once, nothing past the "mkdir lexmark" works.
    I probably sound like a spoiled windows user, but isn't there an easy way of installing drivers in Ubuntu?

Beans

I have a lexmark z705 and followed all the steps but when i go to the printer GUI and try to add it as a printer, when it tells me to select the model the z705 is not an option. Am i supposed to select a different model or did I do something wrong? Thanks for the help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi,
    I finally installed the Z600 driver for my X1270, but it does nothing.
    I understand it's because I have Ubuntu AMD64.
    I understand I need to "create a 32 chroot", and I even tried to do it but it didn't work, maybe becuase the howto for it is two years old.
    Does someone know of a new howto, or a new way to get around this problem?
    Thanks...

Moved to 32bit, it works!!!
    Last edited by ortutt; August 3rd, 2007 at 11:57 PM.

Beans

Works on the Lexmark Z640.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

OK, I have a Lexmark PrinTrio 3150. In Windows, the drivers it uses are Lexmark 3100 Series. When I go to Administration/Printing in Gnome and click on new printer, it goes to Step 1 of 3: Printer Connection. Uner "Use a detected Printer" it correctly lists Lexmark 3100 Series. However, when I hit forward and go to Step 2 of 3: Printer Driver, there is no 3100 in the list it asks me to select from.

Additionally, if I go to Lexmark.com and search for 3100 series, it offers Windows 98/ME and 2000/XP drivers and a note that says if an OS isn't listed, drivers are not available.

From the list, I've tried 3000 and 3200... both get my printer to turn on and respond, but I cannot print anything (in fact, after attempting to use either, I have to unplug my printer and plug it back in before even Windows will print to it again). 600 series and z35 drivers do not work for it. There's a host of others. Anyone else out there have a 3100 series they've gotten to work? If so, what drivers were used?

Beans

Well, I went through all the steps, even got the correct output, no errors, etc...right to a T. However, my drivers still aren't listed when I set up the new printer. It shows two lexmarks, one lexmark z600 the other lexmark z600 (usb). Same printer but neither work. there is no z600 driver listed.

Thanks,

Paul

I am not running 64 just for informational sake.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by black hole sun View Post
    Hello everyone. This is a ubuntu-adopted version of the gentoo howto (which I originally wrote) http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Lexmark_Printers

Printers that this howto covers (there are many, many others, but these are the printers that have been confirmed to work so far (also note that Dell's printers are merely rebranded Lexmarks):

With that said, let's get to it!

The driver we'll be using is the z600 one, which can be found here. Even if your printer isn't a z600 this driver works with a LOT of Lexmark's, so try this driver first.

Download the driver, save it to a desktop folder such as `lexmark` (I say _folder_ because extracting the driver is a messy process!).

Obviously, exclude the comments to the right of the hash (#) marks, I include them only to explain the commands.

Code:
    $ mkdir lexmark
    $ mv CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz lexmark # move the package to a folder. optional, but recommended. 
    $ tar -xvzf CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz # extract the driver.
    $ tail -n +143 z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh > install.tar.gz # the sh script is broken for newer systems. use `tail` to extract the binary portion of the script.
    $ tar -xvzf install.tar.gz # extract the contents produced by tail
    $ alien -t z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz.
    $ alien -t z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz.
    $ sudo tar xvzf  z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place
    $ sudo tar xvzf z600cups-1.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place
    $ sudo ldconfig # DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP or your printer backend won't find required libraries
    $ cd /usr/share/cups/model
    $ sudo gunzip Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz # unzip the ppd, which should _not_ be gzipped
    The driver is now installed. Restart the cups daemon:
    Code:
    /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart
    Check whether the printer backend works;
    Code:
    $ cd /usr/lib/cups/backend
    $ ./z600
    The output of the above command should be _similar_ to this:
    If you get no output, mount the usb filesystem.

Add this to your /etc/fstab file:

Code:
    usbfs         /proc/bus/usb usbfs   devgid=14,devmode=0660 0 0
    Then just type: sudo mount usbfs. That should fix it.

Now simply set up your printer through the System->Administration->Printing in gnome. Make sure you select the z600 driver, and you're golden.

For KDE users...well, you'll have to use whatever printer dialogue that KDE provides.

There you have it! If you need any help, post to this thread.

Just a note: PER INSTRUCTIONS ABOVE What I had to do AFTER in my case was this...

1. Open System; Administration; Printing

2. When setting up printer, choose the lexmark printer but manually choose a driver \ location.

3.Go to directory>>> /usr/share/cups/model choose the "most likely" only ppd file and manually install the driver. It remained listed and my printer works.

Cheers, thanks for the great head start BHS

Paul
    Last edited by gimpguy2000; August 14th, 2007 at 09:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I tried these instructions with a Lexmark E232... and the printer would send out reams of single line jibberish... but I thought 'Hey it's printing, just not what I want it to print.... it was a start'

So I finally stumbled upon this link:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubu...mark-e232.html

Setup your up printer as Generic and use the PCL 5c driver. Not the best quality but if you use this scale

Dot Matrix______Color Laser____________Kinko's
    1.....2.....3.....4.....5.....6.....7.....8.....9. ....10

I say it's at leat a 5-6... The webpage I used to test the printer came out pretty clear.

So I hope this works if you have a lexmark laser printer... Also doesn't HP own Lexmark? Businesses use Lexmark printers in Unix/Linux just like they use HP... I know beating a dead horse...

Page 28 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast