Page 21 of 70 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Lexmark Printers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: HOWTO: Lexmark Printers

Quote Originally Posted by divali View Post
    Using Edgy.
    I have a Lexmark Z715 and followed all of the Howto as given by Black Hole Sun and everything
    went fine but when I rebooted and tried to add the new printer in the Gnome printer Cups
    system the z600 wasn't listed.
    Can anyone help. What could I have missed.
    First thought would be that you're attempting to use a z600 driver with a z715 printer. I have a z515 myself, but my assumption would be that the z600 driver works with all 'previous' printers of the z family, and my personal opinion is that any z driver should suffice for any z family printer, unfortunately Lexmark isn't as yet that thorough in offering drivers for all of their printer models.

Also, I had the same problem finding the driver on my harddrive, so try looking in /usr/share/cups/model after you complete the tutorial. In that folder there will be a .tar.gz with the name Lexmark-z600-lxz600cj.cups somethingorother. Right click and extract it to that folder and it will turn it into a .ppd. That's the driver you use in the printer setup.

Hope that helps. I'm a newbie myself, so I have no problem batting back and forth with solutions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Holy crap!
    It worked. A million thankyou's.
    I could rain kisses down upon your cherubic upturned face.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I got a Lexmar 1270 given to me as a gift by people who wouldn't know that I used Linux and there might be compatibility problems.

Long story short you got it working. Thankyou.

I'm applying to The Vatican to have you Canonised.
    There are 10 kinds of people on earth; Those that understand the binary system and those that don't.

Beans

Indeed, the original instructions by Black Hole Sun were close in my case.

I have xubuntu, which shouldn't be that different. Like many users, I had to direct the printer GUI (whatever I have with xfce) to the .ppd in the

/usr/share/cups/model/

directory. The z600 driver failed to come up under the Lexmark section in the GUI. No biggy.

I told the GUI to print a test page and it looks beautiful.

I have set this driver a few times with ubuntu and now with xubuntu. It works really well for my z615 and doesn't ever insist on calibrating like windows does which is an annoying waste of time and ink.

Everyone, good luck with your printer issues, keep the faith. I almost had an emergency meltdown when my old instructions from "the fine bush people of south africa" ended up being outdated. Thanks everyone for taking the time out to keep the z600 ubuntu alive

Beans

i got to the part where you move the package to the lexmark folder and this is what i got

mv: cannot stat `CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz': No such file or directory

i have already downloaded the file and it is on my desktop and i checked to see if it was the name and they were the same

can you help

Beans

Hi. I'm new to Ubuntu as of today, but not entirely to Linux. I've run through all these instructions and despite having the usbfs mounted, and restarting cups I still get no output from /usr/lib/cups/backend/z600. Can you help? I am running ubuntu 6.10 on an IBM ThinkPad T21 laptop, in a docking station, with a Lexmark X1130 connected via the USB port on the docking station. Thanks. Karl.

Beans

Angry Re: HOWTO: Lexmark Printers

Help... I've been trying and trying to follow the directions from page one of this post and I keep getting the following error:

tar: CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

What am I doing wrong? I've downloaded the driver and put it in folder on my desktop called lexmark, I've put it on my desk top and nothing...

Please help me.... I am very new to all of this...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by karlosfandango64 View Post
    Hi. I'm new to Ubuntu as of today, but not entirely to Linux. I've run through all these instructions and despite having the usbfs mounted, and restarting cups I still get no output from /usr/lib/cups/backend/z600. Can you help? I am running ubuntu 6.10 on an IBM ThinkPad T21 laptop, in a docking station, with a Lexmark X1130 connected via the USB port on the docking station. Thanks. Karl.
    Well. It looks like this problem was down to the USB port. I hope this helps all the others who had this problem. I unplugged the printer's USB cable from the docking station USB port and plugged it into one of the ports on the PCMCIA USB2 card I have installed, also in the docking station, and then I got the required output from running z600.

After that I was able to install the printer OK, although it did seem to take a couple of attempts before I could see the z600 driver in the list of Lexmark drivers in the printer config wizard. Also, the first time I added it, with a customized name, it didn't show up. When I tried to add it again and just accepted the default name, it was fine.

Thanks & I hope this helps someone.

Beans

Worked Perfectly with a x1150 over smb.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I got and understood everything till the USB thing. After using all the terminal commands I confirmed that my USB was detecting my Z65. I think I messed up at the part where you have to add it in the gnome control panel for printers... I picked the z65 from the detected column and then pushed next and pointed the driver installer to the Z600 driver in /usr/share/cups/model and clicked through and it installed, but when I do a test page the que pauses the print job and won't print even if I push resume. Did I do something wrong?

Page 21 of 70 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast