Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Lexmark Printers

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Lexmark Printers

Would someone with one of these printers *please* ask on the developmental list for these drivers to be packaged for Ubuntu?

Answer back here, if or when you have already done so.....

Thanks!

(Yes, I mean YOU!)

Beans

Will do, but could you provide a link to where I ask?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Both howto's didn't work for me.

The Z600 one tries to print, the paper comes through a little bit, then stalls.

Too bad, I really need to get this printer working!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Spudgun
    Will do, but could you provide a link to where I ask?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=29

If you cannot start a new thread there, you will need to sign up and do it by emal here:

http://lists.ubuntulinux.org/mailman...o/ubuntu-devel

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

Spudgun, I added some detail to your post on the devel mailing list, since there are already some Lexmark printers that work out-of-the-box, I clarified your question.

Please keep an eye on that thread so that you can give pertinent information about getting the thing to work in Ubuntu, if asked.

Thanks!

Beans

I cannot say this in a nice way. I bought a Lexmark printer (z23) because it was listed as linux compatible from the old elinux web site. Worst mistake I ever made. This printer and Chyrsler motor vehicles go hand-in-hand as poor excuses for what they are supposed to be: printers and cars respectively. I am now the proud owner of n HP-6210 all-in-1 and GM vehicles and all working great with Linux.

Forget Lexmark until they either really do support Linux or open source their drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

THANK YOU!

I did the same steps as in post 1, except using the z35 driver (I have a z25 printer) and it works great now!

I also had to use the command sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart to get it to show up in the printing manager.

Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks for this howto! It's one of the smoothest I've used from this site.

My comments below seem a bit pedantic but I just thought, keeping it simple enough for everyone, in-keeping with the style of this site, maybe add some points to the howto?

I had to sudo apt-get install alien first.

When I run alien I get a warning about ownership of files, because you didn't tell me to run it as root, so I went back and did "sudo alien"

That said, it's probably still the howto where the output I got differed least from what I was expecting, if you see what I mean. Which might be partly because I'm using breezy.

Beans

Excellent, it works
    My is Lexmark X1180 is working great now, although it is printing a little on the slow side. Anyone know how to speed things up?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by michellembrodeur
    I found this for the z35 somewhere else on these forums.

it work no problem for a Z35

OK, this will take some skill on your part, but it can be done.

First, log in as root and download the drivers from

http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-per...e=&fileID=1242

Make a directory and put the Lexmark driver in it... Let's assume we named it LEX, and that folder is sitting in /root OK? (in all of the commands, you do not type the # key, this is just to signify the prompt)

OK, so we have moved the driver into the folder now, and we will go into the folder by opening a command prompt and typing:

# cd /root/LEX

We will now extract the archive by typing the following command:

# tar -xzvf CJLZ35LE-CUPS-2.0-1.TAR.GZ

This now leaves us with a shell script rpm installer called lexmarkz35-CUPS-2.0-1.gz.sh... not very useful to a Debian distribution like Xandros, so now comes the fun part...We will make another directory now, and extract the files into it...

# mkdir lextemp

# tail -n +143 lexmarkz35-CUPS-2.0-1.gz.sh | gzip -cd | tar xvf - -C lextemp

Now we will enter the lextemp directory and convert the rpm files, since Xandros should not use rpms unless absolutely necessary.

# cd lextemp

# alien -t *.rpm

Next, we will use the tar command to extract the files to their proper place.

# tar -zxf lexmarkz35-CUPS-2.0.tgz -C /

# tar -zxf z35llpddk-2.0.tgz -C /

Now for some editing... type the following commands in the order shown below..

# cd /usr/local/z35llpddk/utility

# ln -s auckUS.lut bnsi1.lut

# cd /usr/lib

# ln -s liblexz35core.so.0.0.0 liblexz35core.so.0

# ln -s liblexz35printer.so.0.0.0 liblexz35printer.so.0

# ln -s liblexz35printjob.so.0.0.0 liblexz35printjob.so.0

Now to test and see if the driver is working...

# /usr/lib/cups/backend/z35

Output should not error out, and give an output similar to this...

direct z35:/dev/usb/lp0 "Lexmark Inkjet color printer" "Lexmark Printer"

OK, if all is well, we allign the print heads by typing;

# /usr/lib/cups/backend/z35 utilities

Now that the heads are aligned, we can select the printer in the control center by following Launch > Control Center. Once in there in the Periphrial devices section there chould be a setting called printers... highlight printers and then go to add >local printer > Lexmark inkjet color printer and now under the model number one should see an entry for Z35 v 2.0-1... Select that, and then do your test page... Congrats, You're finished!

Hopefully Xandros will eventually make a Debian installer for this driver, but until then this works pretty well... Best of Luck, and hope this helps..

the howto worked really find under hoary.
    only problem i have is that i am able to print the testpages with the utility software, but when i add the printer via cups to use it with other applications nothing will happen.

perhaps someone can help me
    ---------------------------------------

Do not thank me. someone else came up with it.

Something to remember, you need both b&W and colour catridages. I have only colour and it will not print black. But windows can use the colour to make black, but not linux. someday hope that willb e fixed.
    I have a Lexmark Z33 so I tried the Z35 driver and everything worked fine until the last instruction:

$ /usr/lib/cups/backend/z35
    direct z35:/dev/usb/lp0 "Lexmark Inkjet color printer" "Lexmark Printer"

$ /usr/lib/cups/backend/z35 utilities
    ERROR: Unable to open printer port "/usr/lib/cups/backend/z35": Text file busy

How can I fix that? Any suggestions?

Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast