Page 12 of 70 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Lexmark Printers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Simplification of the HOWTO; newer CUPS problems

Thank you for writing this how-to!! I've been tring to get this printer working for a wile now. Now it works perfect!! Thank you.
    It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Registered Linux user #419169

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Lexmark Printers

sudo apt-get install install libstdc++5 if "libstdc++.so.5" is missing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Lexmark E230

Just a quick note, the E230 will work happily with Generic PCL-6-PCL-XL driver

Beans

Thank you so much! I successfully printed across a Windows network to a Lexmark X1100 connected to a Windows ME computer thanks to this HOWTO!

Note: this HOWTO does NOT work on AMD64! (not sure if this has already been concluded) This was my initial problem, since I previously used Ubuntu 64bit but changed to 32bit so more stuff works (including my printer).

Beans

Does it work for x1195? Does anyone have tryed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

black hole sun, I kindly ask that you remove the following from your instructions and instead tell members to use the GUI as much as possible. The following can be done using a few clicks here and there right inside Ubuntu:

$ mkdir lexmark
    $ mv CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz lexmark # move the package to a folder. optional, but recommended.
    $ tar -xvzf CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz # extract the driver.

Those three lines are:

1. Create a folder named Lexmark on the Desktop.
    2. Move the downloaded file (the one from Lexmark.com) to the Lexmark folder.
    3. Once inside the Lexmark folder, right click on the .Tar.gz file, and select "Extract here."

It's a lot easier for newbies to understand English than messing around with all sorts of commands for the Terminal. That's why I always recommend people using the GUI as much as possible, and it also makes us Linux users more human like (the more we rely on GUI, the more human like we are).

Also, can you please link directly to the .Tar.gz file so that totally lost newbies don't have to go the page, and figure out what to download. Here's the link:

http://www.downloaddelivery.com/srfi...S-1.0-1.TAR.gz

Moreover, you failed to mention that members need to download the "tail" command from Synaptic, before they can use it. Fortunately, I figured out that you must download commands before you can use them. So, I opened Synaptic, searched for "tail," and downloaded what I found. It would be nice to add this note.

A note to newbies:

For the lines that preceed with "sudo," you can omitt "sudo" if you are either signed in as root, or you have already put in the "su" command and offered your password. It's actually easier to begin everything by typing in "su," and then typing your password when requested. That way, you won't have to add "sudo" for almost every line.

Also, keep in mind that you actually need to add the forward slash ("/") to the following line:

sudo tar xvzf z600cups-1.0.tgz -C /

The same goes for other lines that use the forward slash.

When black hole sun says "Add this to your /etc/fstab file," open gEdit and edit the file /etc/fstab. You can do this real easily by going to the terminal and typing in gedit /etc/fstab. Remember to first begin with su and your password before doing this! Typing gedit /etc/fstab opens up /etc/fstab in gEdit.

black hole sun, if you could, please do add these instructions to your original post. It can save a lot of headache for newbies. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I forgot to mention that it would be REAL NICE if there was a way to involve the GUI more, and less command line work. So, for the next release, people could just browse for a file or whatever and install things that way. It's always more convenient to use GUI, and its more attractive to newbies. Basically, I am asking for a several-step process that doesn't require command line work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Your the man Black Hole Sun thanks alot

Beans

Im having problems with adding a printer trough the webinterface of cups.
    I have a working Ubuntu 6.06 server with no gui, and i have to work with the web interface.
    But it wont let me add a printer ?
    I have to be logged in as root but there is no login screen of some sort ?
    I get this error

"426 Upgrade Required
    You must access this page using the URL https://**********:631/admin"

everything worked fine in this HOW-TO and i see that my printer is found ( z65 ) but i cannot add him to be a active printer.
    Can someone help me ?

Tobas
    Last edited by Tobas; June 10th, 2006 at 01:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: HOWTO: Lexmark Printers It DID work before it didn't

Hi!

I got my lexmark p707 working with Breezy thanks to this howto, with the Z600 driver. However, one day (probably after an ubuntu update) it did not work anymore: I could see the printing job in the printer properties window (it status sayed "printing"), but nothing happened.

now I upgraded to Dapper, and still the printer does not respond. I followed the instructions again, and here is where I got stuck:

$ cd /usr/lib/cups/backend
    $ ./z600

I get no output, even though the usbfs is already mounted.

Any suggestions are most welcome! Thanks in advance!

Page 12 of 70 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast