Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Another person wanting to learn programming

There are two stickys in this section

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=333867

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=255970

As for Python these two guides have have been the mainstay of recomendations for a very long time now.

How to think like a computer scientist series.
    Python: http://greenteapress.com/thinkpython

Dive into python for code examples.
    http://www.diveintopython.org

This may be a good start point.
    quick program launch left mac type bar

Started by Omnios, December 30th, 2007 11:49 AM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pmasiar View Post
    Really bad advice for someome who is not programmer. C book is great for programmers (knowing other languages) but useless for people learning first programming language.

Sadly, this kind of "experts" is most common on (this and many other) forums
    I think your comment was a little inflammatory.

The book is a good for anyone doing C programming, regardless of skill level. It was written by two people that had a lot to do with creating the language.

It is also a fact that it was this book that first introduced the "hello world" program, so I would disagree that it is useless for people learning their first programming language. Its importance to standard programming practices cannot be understated.

From the Wiki:
    The C Programming Language has often been cited as a model for technical writing, due to the book's clear presentation and concise treatment. At a modest 272 pages (for the second edition), the book's coverage is nevertheless comprehensive, with few wasted words. Examples generally consist of complete programs of the type one is likely to encounter in daily usage of the language, with an emphasis on system programming. The technical details of C are balanced by the authors' observations on good programming practice, which are immediately illustrated with concrete, realistic examples. As the authors write in the preface to the second edition
    Last edited by AlexThomson_NZ; July 10th, 2007 at 04:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-e View Post
    there are 2 ways to go at it, c and python, and python is easier, but c gets right into the advanced stuff which may be good or bad, right??
    no way C is faster way to reach advanced stuff.

C is low-lewel language, more effective in using computer resources, but Python builds on higher level of abstraction, works harder for you - to make your (programmer's) life easier (and is not afraid to spend resources on that goal). So using higher-level language, you get faster to the goal - for the price of slightly less effective code (slower 20-50-200%, depending on application).

Using Python, you can write your own objects within a week if you feel so.

IMNSHO you have plenty of time to worry about effective usage of computer resources later (when learning C), but better start is to learn basic programming concepts using language which uses *your* time effectively.

Of course you are free to do whatever you want, just my opinion.

> i dont know anything about compiling, maybe someone has a good link, like i understand what its doing but ive never done it, and dont know where to start

With Python, you don't worry about compiling, Python works for you: you can start trying code snippets in shell, even without saving them to the file. Check "Instant Hacking" in HowToStart link in my sig.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by AlexThomson_NZ View Post
    The book is a good for anyone doing C programming, regardless of skill level. It was written by two people that had a lot to do with creating the language.
    I don't have the book with me right now, but someone who has can double-check me: IIRC R&K directly say in introduction that they expect reader be skilled programmer in other language, so they decided to use format researching different areas of language independently.

And that was the case when C was introduced: programmers were switching from other languages to C. Ah those were good old times!

Beans

I can't help but stress Python or Ruby.

I've said it time and time again - starting out trying to learn C before you learn so much as basic programming is like chucking War & Peace at someone who is illiterate. Sure - they'll figure it out eventually, but it's hardly the best way to teach someone how to read.

That said, Ruby and Python are very similar, though each has its quirks. Both are high-level languages that will simplify the semantic ******** found in other languages while still giving you a very flexible and powerful language. That said, while Python is probably more-documented and more popular at the moment, Ruby is the "up-and-comer" in the programming world; it's currently estimated that the number of people programming in Ruby will grow by 50% this year alone. Not to mention, if you ever want to dabble in web development, Ruby on Rails is an amazing development platform.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

from the book

The book is not an introductory programming manual; it assumes some familiarity with basic
    programming concepts like variables, assignment statements, loops, and functions. Nonetheless, a novice
    programmer should be able to read along and pick up the language, although access to more
    knowledgeable colleague will help.
    okay, so im learning python, once i have some code in a text editor, how do i open it to execute it?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-e View Post
    okay, so im learning python, once i have some code in a text editor, how do i open it to execute it?
    Code:
    $ python <your script file>
    IESVS FELLAT IN INFERNVM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by runningwithscissors View Post
    Code:
    $ python <your script file>
    ty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

If you are visual learner, try showmedo.com videos - intro to Python, many of them free (some paid per view - so I guess they are worth to pay for).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12