Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mousetweaks testing feedback thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: mousetweaks testing feedback thread

And here are the debian packages of version 0.1.6 for ubuntu feisty and gutsy. To use only at your own risk.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here is my feedback based on: Mousetweaks version 0.2.2
    Keep in mind that I have only used it for 20 minutes.

I have a tablet (1024x600 resolution) running Feisty that does not detect the right click functionality when I hold the stylus for a period of time. For some reason I am having problems configuring the evtouch driver in my xorg. Anyway, that is another story.

When I first ran mousetweaks it asked me to run the Assistive Technology Preference. Why couldn't mousetweaks start that program for me? Or even turn the feature needed for it to work. The program is called: gnome-at-properties

My main use for the program is the "Delay Click" feature. Why only make the threshold 30 pixels in the General tab? I would like to have a number as big as my screen size; that way I can drag all the icons in my desktop and the right click menu would kick in. The user should have the option to set this amount as high as he/she pleases. Having a big range would not hurt anybody but It would give us a better choice.
    If you do not like this idea at least make it more that 30 pixels for people that do not have good hand control. Say 200 pixels? Anyway, I would consider giving this one some thought.
    Note to self: cut down on caffeine.

I am still trying to understand what Dwell Click does? This is me been ignorant plus for now I just care to have right clicks.

I like the fact that I can right click on Firefox. Can I use mousetweaks to do scroll up/down using gestures? That would be nice.

I am looking at the screenshot here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibilit...ks/mousetweak5
    I do not have a "Single Click" tab?

A less important feature for me. I would like to be able to remove the icon from the notification area. I do not need the icon there and would prefer if the program just stays in the background all the time. The program should have an option to terminate and another to remove the icon from the notification bar.

The most important feature would be to have this package in the repositories.

Cheers,
    Last edited by bicchi; August 25th, 2007 at 08:35 AM.
    No one is to be called an enemy, all are your benefactors, and no one does
    you harm. You have no enemy except yourselves. ---- St. Francis of Assisi

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

First of all, thanks for your feedback.

When I first ran mousetweaks it asked me to run the Assistive Technology Preference. Why couldn't mousetweaks start that program for me? Or even turn the feature needed for it to work. The program is called: gnome-at-properties.
    That is a good point. I will tell the developer about it.

My main use for the program is the "Delay Click" feature. Why only make the threshold 30 pixels in the General tab? I would like to have a number as big as my screen size; that way I can drag all the icons in my desktop and the right click menu would kick in. The user should have the option to set this amount as high as he/she pleases. Having a big range would not hurt anybody but It would give us a better choice.
    I don't really understand what you mean by "drag all the icons and right click". If you want to open the contextual menu on multiple items, why not make it in 2 steps: First step: do the selection. Second step: delay click.

But you might be right with the fact that setting a higher maximum value will not hurt anybody.

I am still trying to understand what Dwell Click does? This is me been ignorant plus for now I just care to have right clicks.
    Mousetweaks performs automatically the click specified in the clicktype window after the pointer has been motionless for the time specified by the slider in the corresponding preferences tab. This is for example useful for people that cannot click with a hardware button.

I like the fact that I can right click on Firefox. Can I use mousetweaks to do scroll up/down using gestures? That would be nice.
    The author of mousetweaks is developing the gestures feature separately from mousetweaks. It is called chickenscratch and you can find it on his blog.

By the way, the website of firefox offers mousegestures addons for firefox.

I am looking at the screenshot here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibilit...ks/mousetweak5
    I do not have a "Single Click" tab?
    Mousetweaks is still under development; it has not been implemented yet.

A less important feature for me. I would like to be able to remove the icon from the notification area. I do not need the icon there and would prefer if the program just stays in the background all the time.
    The author is already aware of the fact that the icon in the notification area is not very helpful; different propositions have been made, for example combining it with the dwell applet. But as the panels don't offer the functionality to applications to add or remove applets from it, this question is not resolved yet. (at least I think so)

The program should have an option to terminate and another to remove the icon from the notification bar.
    Why not simple disable the features in the preferences of mousetweaks? (I think that if they are disabled, it is as if mousetweaks is not running.)

I think it will be shipped in Ubuntu 7.10.

Have a nice day.

Francesco
    Last edited by frafu; August 25th, 2007 at 02:08 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bicchi View Post
    When I first ran mousetweaks it asked me to run the Assistive Technology Preference. Why couldn't mousetweaks start that program for me? Or even turn the feature needed for it to work. The program is called: gnome-at-properties
    Starting the AT daemon requires a session restart (login/out). Unfortunately there's nothing mousetweaks can do about that.

If you do not like this idea at least make it more that 30 pixels for people that do not have good hand control. Say 200 pixels? Anyway, I would consider giving this one some thought.
    I don't really get what it is your trying to do and doesn't work. The threshold is intended as a tremor suppression feature. More than say 100 pixels wouldn't make sense in that context. However 30 seems too low in any case.

Note to self: cut down on caffeine.
    tell me about it.

I would like to be able to remove the icon from the notification area.
    Should be gone in the next release.
    If everything works out, it will be in gutsy.

Cheers

Beans

Advertisement removed by frafu
    Last edited by frafu; August 25th, 2007 at 05:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What I am trying to do by making the threshold big enought is this:
    1. Say I have 20 icons on my desktop spread in a radius of 500 pixels square. I should be able to select all of them an hold the mouse for 3 seconds and the right click option would allow me to make a decision on those 20 icons.
    2. In OpenOffice I select a picture box some text and just hold the mouse for 3 seconds to apply some option to those objects.

What this would avoid is doing a second click after the selection.

Regarding starting the "Assistive Technology Preference."
    I am not asking to force a session restart of gnome but at least fire up the "Assistive Technology Preference." that way the user can turn on the feature that is needed.
    In my case I was able to run gnome-at-properties before doing a restart.
    Then I needed to restart gnome.
    Maybe I am missing your point?
    No one is to be called an enemy, all are your benefactors, and no one does
    you harm. You have no enemy except yourselves. ---- St. Francis of Assisi

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hello,

It might take some time until Mousetweaks will be available in the Universe repository of Ubuntu 7.10.

Consequently, I am offering it in the meantime by using the Personal Package Archive (PPA) service offered by Launchpad. The PPA can be seen as personal repositories that users can setup to offer their programs to the public.

By adding my PPA to the Software Sources in Ubuntu, you will be able to install Mousetweaks with the Synaptic Package Manager in the same way that you do it for other programs. However, I give you the permission to use my PPA and the software offered by it, only if you do so at your own risk.

My PPA is located here:
    for the binaries (i396 and amd64 architectures):
    Code:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/frafu/ubuntu gutsy main restricted universe multiverse
    for the source
    Code:

deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/frafu/ubuntu gutsy main restricted universe multiverse
    You can find more information about how to add my PPA to your software sources in the "Install Mousetweaks and an updated the version of onboard" section of the following page:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibilit...dAndDwellAtGDM

By the way, Mousetweaks is hosted on Launchpad at the following address:
    https://launchpad.net/mousetweaks

Francesco

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12