Thread: Hi i am a beginner to ubuntu .... and would want to install prince of persia warrior

Beans

Hi i am a beginner to ubuntu .... and would want to install prince of persia warrior

hi guys need help in installing prince of persia warrior within ....what should i do i have discs which work in windows if aany one could help me with detailed steps would be of great help

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Hi i am a beginner to ubuntu .... and would want to install prince of persia warr

You could try to run it in wine, which is a compatibilty layer for Windows programs, but it doesn't seem to work for this game according to: http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?...TestingId=9830 . To get wine you'll need to add the multiverse and universe repositories to your sources, if you haven't already done so and then search for 'wine' in synaptic.
    Another, more realistic option, would be to run Windows in a virtual machine. You can do this with VMware Server or Virtual Box. Both of those programs are free, but only virtual box is open source. Virtual Box also provides easy-to-install .deb packages.

Beans

Re: Hi i am a beginner to ubuntu .... and would want to install prince of persia warr

Hmm ... okie where can i get the complete list of hugh end games that can work on ubuntu 7.04.....

Beans

Ok. Do people know something I don't know here?

This is the second thread I've seen today that suggests using virtual machines to run games that require high levels of 3D acceleration. Virtual machines only provide 2D acceleration at present, so the games will install, maybe even run but won't be playable.

This is just bad advice, which is worse than no advice at all IMO. People will read this thread, try it and have wasted their time on a suggestion that we already know will go nowhere.

@12hello: I'm afraid to say you are out of luck with Prince of Persia. That game still needs windows - at the moment.

Beans

hey stuart.crouch thanks for ur help ... on this topic could u just tell me a website or sumthing where i would come to know which games can be played on linux .... i mean using wine or sum other stuff

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 12hello View Post
    hey stuart.crouch thanks for ur help ... on this topic could u just tell me a website or sumthing where i would come to know which games can be played on linux .... i mean using wine or sum other stuff
    http://appdb.winehq.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can also try Cedega, though you have to pay for it. According to the wiki Warrior Within works.

Also, for another list of games: cedega games database. Again, you have to pay for Cedega, but if there are many games you wanna play and you have no luck with wine, it can be a good investment.
    Dín

"Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become"

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I wouldn't trust Cedega any further than I can throw a dead bear.

And according to the UNOFFICIAL wiki you posted: Supported by TransGaming - No

Unless you find a good source with screenshots saying the game runs and runs well don't bother with Cedega.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hikaricore View Post
    I wouldn't trust Cedega any further than I can throw a dead bear.

And according to the UNOFFICIAL wiki you posted: Supported by TransGaming - No

Unless you find a good source with screenshots saying the game runs and runs well don't bother with Cedega.
    I didn't say it was supported by Transgaming: I said that according to the wiki it works. And according to my experience the wiki works as well (meaning if they say something works, it does - as far as my experience goes, the wiki was never ever wrong about issues or anything)

Screenshots... I would have to install it and try...

And no, I don't like cedega either, but when it comes to playing, it's a nice thing to have something else to try before booting up Windows. I like Windows even less than Cedega. (For example the only way for me to run SWG with usb joystick support is through cedega )
    Dín

"Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become"

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by 12hello View Post
    Hmm ... okie where can i get the complete list of hugh end games that can work on ubuntu 7.04.....
    Search http://appdb.winehq.org/search.php?sSearchQuery=+ to see programs that have been tested in wine. There are programs that aren't on there that do work, not every program is listed.

As for 3D acceleration you could watch ReactOS (http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html), maybe one day that operating system will be able to play Prince of Persia.