Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Apple Intel Users FAQ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Apple Intel Users FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisj303 View Post
    I have recently gone back to triple-booting OS X/Windows/Ubuntu on my MBP 4,1.

Now WiFi is sorted OOTB, I figured it would be less painful, less dicking about than it used to be.

However, trying to find the relevant information through these forums and the Wiki(s) was a nightmare. I honestly think it could do with an overhaul.

Its VERY hard to find specific information on these boards, no matter how clever you are with the search engine, you WILL end up with pages and pages of threads to trawal through.

Its taken me two days of digging about, to get *everything* working - and I mean 2 FULL days!
    One of the reasons it is so messy right now is that things ARE in an overhaul. See the "Before You Post" link in my signature to get to the right documentation for a specific mac version. You can find out more about what we are doing through the following thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=969360
    And there is a lot of planning and organizational info here:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MactelSupportTeam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by veiho View Post
    I have found out something that i think, might be useful for others as well as it's not well known.

How to single boot Linux without delay on Macbook. (tested with Macbook 2.1)

So, I like Macbook, but OSX not at all.

1. If you have OSX installed, boot to it and mute sound. This assures that you won't be annoyed by the startup/poweron sound afterwards. I even used This software to be absolutely sure.
    Restart to confirm that no startup sound is audible.

2. Prepare rEFIt boot disk (CD-RW).

3. Boot Ubuntu install and remove all partitions, partition as you like for your Linux installation. Install Ubuntu, restart.

4. Put in rEFIt CD and holding down alt key, boot rEFIT cd. Synchronize GUID and MBR. Restart.

5. Insert OSX disc, boot from it, open terminal and enter following:

where /dev/disk0s2 is the partition you installed grub (do 'diskutil list' to find out correct partition). Of course, '--verbose' is optional. This makes Macbook EFI firmware boot your Linux installation in legacy mode without long delay (20s vs 3s).

6. Restart your Macbook (don't forget to remove OSX disc). And boot directly to Linux!
    Does this work with any Linux OS? I don't recall you stating that you actually installed rEFIt anywhere. I'm trying to single boot a linux OS, but not Ubuntu due to the hard drive killing properties of Intrepid.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jrdemasi View Post
    Does this work with any Linux OS? I don't recall you stating that you actually installed rEFIt anywhere. I'm trying to single boot a linux OS, but not Ubuntu due to the hard drive killing properties of Intrepid.
    It will not kill your hard drive, but anyway...
    Yes, it will work with any OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

6. Restart your Macbook (don't forget to remove OSX disc). And boot directly to Linux!
    I LOVE YOU
    that might sound a little creepy but it's only cuz i've been trying to figure out how to do that for DAYS. thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

where /dev/disk0s2 is the partition you installed grub (do 'diskutil list' to find out correct partition). Of course, '--verbose' is optional. This makes Macbook EFI firmware boot your Linux installation in legacy mode without long delay (20s vs 3s).
    I'm using a triple boot without rEfit on a first generation MacBook Pro (only bootcamp) and I use the option-alt key to choose what partition to boot from: either "HD" to boot from Mac OS or "Windows" to get into the GRUB and then choose Ubuntu or Windows 7 beta.

I've also notice a certain delay from pressing the power button until it gets into the HD X*Windows option (or automatically to GRUB if I don't press anything).

So I would like to know if it is possible to use this "blessing" option to shorten this delay even in my triple-boot system? Or is it meant to works only on a single-boot system?

Thank you.

Beans

Does the 24'/20' patch entry of the faq still apply or does it need to be updated?

Beans

I have found out something that i think, might be useful for others as well as it's not well known.

How to single boot Linux without delay on Macbook. (tested with Macbook 2.1)

So, I like Macbook, but OSX not at all.

1. If you have OSX installed, boot to it and mute sound. This assures that you won't be annoyed by the startup/poweron sound afterwards. I even used This software to be absolutely sure.
    Restart to confirm that no startup sound is audible.

2. Prepare rEFIt boot disk (CD-RW).

3. Boot Ubuntu install and remove all partitions, partition as you like for your Linux installation. Install Ubuntu, restart.

4. Put in rEFIt CD and holding down alt key, boot rEFIT cd. Synchronize GUID and MBR. Restart.

Hi there! I have already installed Ubuntu 9.10 but unfortunately also already deleted my OSX partition. Anyway is there a way to accomplish the sped up start without booting into OSX?

Any answer is appreciated

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jayomat View Post
    Hi there! I have already installed Ubuntu 9.10 but unfortunately also already deleted my OSX partition. Anyway is there a way to accomplish the sped up start without booting into OSX?

Any answer is appreciated
    Boot from your OS X install DVD.

Beans

There is no "Synchronize GUID and MBR" option. If you meant to do something else that results in this please be more specific. This may be an option that is no longer there but it's unclear.

It's unclear which partition GRUB is installed on. I have a 1MB partition with what looks like a GUID, a 244MB partition that is labeled "Microsoft Basic Data ", and my Linux LVM partition.

Using grub-update-from-legacy I saw that it was the 244MB partition, which is what I assumed, but setting that using your info didn't make a bit of difference. There is still a 30 to 40 second delay while the EFI looks for an EFI drive. Only then does it boot Linux.

I'm going to try the GRUB-EFI thingy now to see if that helps.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345