Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Apple Intel Users FAQ

Beans

Re: Apple Intel Users FAQ

I have found out something that i think, might be useful for others as well as it's not well known.

How to single boot Linux without delay on Macbook. (tested with Macbook 2.1)

So, I like Macbook, but OSX not at all.

1. If you have OSX installed, boot to it and mute sound. This assures that you won't be annoyed by the startup/poweron sound afterwards. I even used This software to be absolutely sure.
    Restart to confirm that no startup sound is audible.

2. Prepare rEFIt boot disk (CD-RW).

3. Boot Ubuntu install and remove all partitions, partition as you like for your Linux installation. Install Ubuntu, restart.

4. Put in rEFIt CD and holding down alt key, boot rEFIT cd. Synchronize GUID and MBR. Restart.

5. Insert OSX disc, boot from it, open terminal and enter following:
    bless --device /dev/disk0s2 --setBoot --legacy --verbose
    where /dev/disk0s2 is the partition you installed grub (do 'diskutil list' to find out correct partition). Of course, '--verbose' is optional. This makes Macbook EFI firmware boot your Linux installation in legacy mode without long delay (20s vs 3s).

6. Restart your Macbook (don't forget to remove OSX disc). And boot directly to Linux!
    Last edited by veiho; June 12th, 2008 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Additional information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

excellent. I was not aware that you could bless a device... This ought to help the single-boot Ubuntu on Mac users out there a lot.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thumbs down Re: Apple Intel Users FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by veiho View Post
    I have found out something that i think, might be useful for others as well as it's not well known.
    Awesome! I can confirm this works on the mini too. No more gong every time I turn on my home media system.

Thank You

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi, new to the site and Ubuntu. I've been searching for a bit now and couldn't find any answers, maybe I'm just blind. Are the wiki for the MacBook and MacBook Pros the same as for an iMac? I have an iMac (8,1) and am trying to dual-boot Leopard and Ubuntu (because Windows is the pitchfork to Microsoft's Satan). Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by The Coy View Post
    Hi, new to the site and Ubuntu. I've been searching for a bit now and couldn't find any answers, maybe I'm just blind. Are the wiki for the MacBook and MacBook Pros the same as for an iMac? I have an iMac (8,1) and am trying to dual-boot Leopard and Ubuntu (because Windows is the pitchfork to Microsoft's Satan). Thanks.
    you can follow the installation instructions for any mac, they are all basically the same. The fixes for hardware after the installation will be different. There is an imac specific page here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Intel_iMac

I don't believe there is an iMac8,1 yet. I would check that. you can do this command in the terminal on the Ubuntu LiveCD, or you can check the version in System Profiler on OSX.
    Code:
    sudo dmidecode| grep Product

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Does the MacBook Ubuntu Wiki show how to dualboot with a macbook and Ubuntu?
    The statement below is true.
    The statement above is false.

my Ubuntu Screenshot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by abuakel View Post
    Does the MacBook Ubuntu Wiki show how to dualboot with a macbook and Ubuntu?
    yes, it appears to.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook

Beans

I've been searching for a bit now and couldn't find any answers, Are the Google for the Mac Book Pros the same as for an iMac? I have an iMac (8, 1) and I am trying to dual-boot Leopard and Ubuntu.

================================================== =============
    Rony stephen.
    Addiction Recovery West Virginia

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Apple Intel ~

And so ... ? Just joined ubuntu.

Have a Core 2 Duo OSX ~ specifically what do I download.

Someone told me to use Safari on Ubuntu (as opposed to Firefox) ... ?
    Using bootcamp, I get Vista: but noticed Firefox 3.1 cut off my Internet. What is more bizarre ~ I started getting Greek font on it.

Beans

I cannot get the fix to work on my 20 inch. Can you give me some more detailed instructions? I am kind of new to all this, and I have to start somewhere.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast