last time I looked at that "discussion" it was nearly 1000 posts, I wasn't about to blow either karma or mod points wasting my time on it. But I'll make this point here because I think it matters.

A "monitor" is not just the toob sitting on your desktop. When I was wired to broadband I had an RCA cable stretched under the carpet across my living room stright from my PC to my TV set. I had no cable, no satellite because I didn't need them - I had 1Mbps DSL and an internet full of content. I didn't have to waste time watching crap on M2 while waiting for something good, I just queued up what I wanted to see and there it was.

TV set connectors can feed a signal to VCRs and also to other computers. Don't think this is a waste - I have made rips via my PC (oh yeah, did I mention? I don't even own a TV any more - no point. the tuner card in my system is my TV). I have compared "rips" I made from my high end DVD standalone player to "rips" made via decss-ing a DVD and the difference between the two was imperceptible. And even HD content can be transferred like this - 720p can be transferred anamorphically over NTSC or PAL at very, very high quality. Better than DVD quality, in fact.

This technology doesn't mean your analog monitor will be shut off by Hollywood - at least not until RGB capture cards are as commonplace as the hauppauge card in my desktop PC. It DOES, however, mean you are not likely to get 720p anamorphic content out of that bright yellow "analog hole" on the back of your computer.