Thread: Alpha Centauri - i dreampt that one day....

Beans

Alpha Centauri - i dreampt that one day....

..... some kind soul made a single .deb file that :

* fully patches a bare install of the native SMAC pack
    * adds in the extra (old) libs etc
    * creates shortcuts for me that work

only i have tried all the guides/websites and still can't get the damned game to work - i'll settle for an idiots, step by step guide as a lot of the stuff i have seen assumes a fair amount of linux knowledge - as i am a convert from windows i don't have it, so need things explained VERY clearly

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    am i awake yet?

doc

Beans

Re: Alpha Centauri - i dreampt that one day....

For the archive: We made somthing like this: http://liflg.org/?catid=7

Only thing you have to do on your own is to disable the Composite Extensions.

Feedback appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Nice link. I will have to try this one: http://liflg.org/?catid=6&gameid=81

I loved AVP, but when I first played it, I would have nightmares from playing as the Alien and having people scream for their lives.

Any chance of an AVP2, with expansion, installer?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ericj1186 View Post
    Nice link. I will have to try this one: http://liflg.org/?catid=6&gameid=81

I loved AVP, but when I first played it, I would have nightmares from playing as the Alien and having people scream for their lives.

Any chance of an AVP2, with expansion, installer?
    AVP2 was never ported as far as i know , shame, good game.

Beans

I love the AC game.

I've run it years ago under windows & it would run fine for some time & then for no reason crash. It did this enough times that I sadly gave up playing it.

Since then I've tried it multiple times; followed how-to's & installed it on more than one type of Linux distro. I got the same experience, it would play for a while then for no obvious reason crash.

The last time I tried it was on OS X 10.5, someone had made it compatible for the Mac, so I went through the routine yet again, with the same results, play for a while then crash.

I will never attempt to install & play AC again.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Alpha Centauri - I dreamt that one day....

I got it to run on my Xubuntu 9.04 machine recently. The trick--for me at least--was I had to install it under my home folder; it just wouldn't work if I installed it to the default /usr/local. Here are the instructions I wrote up for myself for future reference:

Install the game to somewhere in your home directory (don't let it install to the default, /usr/local/games/smac). I installed it to /home/leon/Games/smac. Install the whole game, of course.

Exit when setup is complete.

Patch the program by running smac-6.0b-x86.run.

Open loki_compat_libs-1.1.tar.bz2 and unzip the Loki_Compat to the Alpha Centauri folder.

You'll have to give the system extra information. (Replace /home/leon/Games/smac with the path to the Alpha Centauri folder). Use the following to open:

ALPHA CENTAURI
    LD_PRELOAD=/home/leon/Games/smac/Loki_Compat/libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so:/usr/lib/libX11.so /home/leon/Games/smac/smac.dynamic

ALIEN CROSSFIRE
    LD_PRELOAD=/home/leon/Games/smac/Loki_Compat/libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so:/usr/lib/libX11.so /home/leon/Games/smac/smacx.dynamic

TO CREATE ICONS

Create script files, e.g. runsmac and runsmacx, in the Alpha Centauri directory, containing (respectively) just the code above.

Make them executable (open a terminal window there and enter "chmod +x runsmac" and then "chmod +x runsmacx").

Create Launchers that point to those scripts.

Beans

Have you tried http://liflg.org/?catid=7 ? Should be easier..