Thread: Osx Wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Osx Wine

I don't mean WINE on OS X for running windows programs. I mean the opposite, is there any way to run OS X specific applications on Windows XP or Ubuntu Feisty Fawn? We use OS X at work, and I'd like to be able to learn iMovie since my boss is too cheap to get Final Cut and it's using Blender as a NLE was overdoing it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Osx Wine

I am not sure I've ever heard of a way. There's been some work on getting OS X running in a VM or on PC hardware. Have a look here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
    "This would make more difference if it made any difference at all; but it doesn't make any difference at all, because you are listening to a conversation among dead businesses." -- Eben Moglen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

If I'm understanding that right, that means I'd still need an OS X DVD/license. If I had one of those, I'd install it on my old G4 (that I should probably get rid of) which currently has OS 9 on it.
    Last edited by Merk42; July 2nd, 2007 at 05:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

If you're looking for something that emulates the PPC architecture have a look at PearPC. Though I'm not sure that's what you want.

I'm not aware of an emulator that will run OS X software (ie iLife) the way WINE runs Win32 software. The most progress has been made toward installing OS X itself in an emulated environment, in which you could then run your apps. If you find something post back and let us know!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by benanzo; July 2nd, 2007 at 06:34 AM.
    "This would make more difference if it made any difference at all; but it doesn't make any difference at all, because you are listening to a conversation among dead businesses." -- Eben Moglen