Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] I can't figure this out!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: I can't figure this out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDavis View Post
    I now have the Ubuntuzilla file on hand. (Will it run from any location?)

I can see that the installation directory is different from where I put the first SeaMonkey.

If I don't want to leave trash around, or worse yet, have SeaMonkey stuff in two or more locations, will the script remove the old one but save the bookmarks, or should I delete it first and save the bookmarks separately?

Thanks!
    it will run from any location - but for the automatic update checker it should be in your home directory. so i'd recommend that you put it straight into your home directory.

your bookmarks, etc. are stored in a .mozilla directory in your home dir - and will be taken up by the new install without any problems. your settings/profile is completely separate from where you put your executable (/usr/local/seamonkey), so you should basically feel free to delete /usr/local/seamonkey after ubuntuzilla finishes its work. all your personal settings and bookmarks should remain unaffected (but of course, run the new seamonkey first, and make sure everything is there, before deleting the old one).

also note that ubuntuzilla will automatically make a backup of your .mozilla folder, so you will have a backup of your bookmarks etc. just in case.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Getting closer...

There are two home directories, one "Home", the other "file system/home", which then contains the user directories. I tried the "Home" one, and got :

"root@Roger-Ubuntu-desktop:/home/roger# python ~/ubuntuzilla.py -a install -p seamonkey
    python: can't open file '/root/ubuntuzilla.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
    root@Roger-Ubuntu-desktop:/home/roger# "

Which is the correct one?

Or do I need to set the terminal to root, and if so, how?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

Getting closer...

There are two home directories, one "Home", the other "file system/home", which then contains the user directories. I tried the "Home" one, and got :

"root@Roger-Ubuntu-desktop:/home/roger# python ~/ubuntuzilla.py -a install -p seamonkey
    python: can't open file '/root/ubuntuzilla.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
    root@Roger-Ubuntu-desktop:/home/roger# "

Which is the correct one?

Or do I need to set the terminal to root, and if so, how?

Thanks!
    you need to put it into your user's home directory. so, that would be /home/roger (as i can see from looking at your prompt there).

and no, you don't need to run the script as root. it will ask you for your root password at some point to do some things as root, but don't run the script itself as root. run it as your regular user (it this case, roger, it seems).

try that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

OK, done, working.

Now, trying to delete the /usr/local/seamonkey. File Manager says not mine (root), so can't do it. How do I log in as root, or tell file manager to let me do it?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

OK, done, working.

Now, trying to delete the /usr/local/seamonkey. File Manager says not mine (root), so can't do it. How do I log in as root, or tell file manager to let me do it?

Thanks!
    sounds good!

to remove that folder,
    enter command
    Code:
    sudo rm -rf /usr/local/seamonkey
    and it will ask you for your password, and then remove the stuff.
    in general, if you want to learn more about privilege separation on linux and how to work with root and sudo (and trust me, you do want to learn more ), read this page:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

OK, all done.

I suggest you take all my questions and combine them (answers) with your instructions.

The script itself worked very well!

Beans
    Distro

hm, you're right, the instructions on the site could be a bit clearer. i suppose i'll update them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Another thing - I never did get the instructions downloaded, never could make the download work, had to indirectly get the script, though I obviously got that - no idea of why the difficulty.

Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12