Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: [SOLVED] I can't figure this out!!!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    [SOLVED] I can't figure this out!!!

    I was really glad to find a script and a simple procedure to update SeaMonkey. However, it either is working and I can't see anything happening, or there isn't enough detail for me to know how to proceed.
    1) I try to download the script compressed? file, apparently not possible.
    2) I try to download the individual files, says downloading, but I can't see it happening.
    3) It says 0 downloads.
    4) I can't find it on the disk by search.

    I need more information, more detail, something... Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

    Re: I can't figure this out!!!

    By download link for SeaMonkey, are you referring to http://download.mozilla.org/?product...nux&lang=en-US ? Well,

    1. I did not have any problem downloading this in Firefox (this put it in my Desktop),
    2. Created a ~/seamonkey directory and moved this downloaded file file from my Desktop to ~/seamonkey.
    4. tar zxvf sea*tar.gz gave me the installer in ~/seamonkey-installer, which I ran to install everything in ~/seamonkey-install directory. Running ~/seamonkey-install/seamonkey brings up the software properly.

    Cannot see any issue. As far as upgrade goes, the installer indicates that the installaiton directory should either be empty, OR have a previous installation. Presumably, the installer will upgrade the previous installation to version 1.1.2 properly (cannot be sure since I do not have a previous version).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Beans
    4,072
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: I can't figure this out!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDavis View Post
    I was really glad to find a script and a simple procedure to update SeaMonkey. However, it either is working and I can't see anything happening, or there isn't enough detail for me to know how to proceed.
    1) I try to download the script compressed? file, apparently not possible.
    2) I try to download the individual files, says downloading, but I can't see it happening.
    3) It says 0 downloads.
    4) I can't find it on the disk by search.

    I need more information, more detail, something... Thanks!
    the script is not a compressed file, it is a plain-text python script.
    please follow download instructions on the main ubuntuzilla website:
    http://pykeylogger.sourceforge.net/w...hp/Ubuntuzilla
    and then let me know if you have any problems.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

    Re: I can't figure this out!!!

    Thx nanotube for the info.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: I can't figure this out!!!

    I'm still having problems. Here's what happens.

    1) Attempt Download
    - I get "Downloading ...
    Thank you for downloading Simple Python Keylogger for Windows.
    Your download should begin shortly. If you are experiencing problems with the download please use this direct link.
    - Nothing visible happens. No download manager, nothing...
    2) Attempt "direct link"
    - "ba72e66aec2aa81b9ff0414e0718a3f7 ubuntuzilla_4.1.1.py" appears on screen, no other activity.
    3) Attempt different site
    - Get choice of keylogger or Ubuntuzilla
    - Choose Ubuntuzilla
    - Same as 1)
    4) Choose San Jose
    - No result
    5) Attempt "direct link"
    - Get
    "from optparse import OptionParser
    import re
    import os, os.path
    import sys
    import stat
    import time
    #todo: skipbackup even in attended mode? really only need for tbird, and it already asks anyway?
    etc...
    (By ANY chance, can I simply copy this and paste it into the terminal?)
    6) Loop to line 1)...
    7) Self taught lesson in creative language...
    8) Beg for help again...

    I just must lack some kind of basic info. I have downloaded in Ubuntu with SeaMonkey before, it goes pretty normally, no problems, just like in Windoze.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

    Re: I can't figure this out!!!

    This I can answer - when you get to the direct link, right click on the link, and use "Save Link As" and select the location as your home directory.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Beans
    4,072
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: I can't figure this out!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDavis View Post
    I'm still having problems. Here's what happens.

    1) Attempt Download
    - I get "Downloading ...
    Thank you for downloading Simple Python Keylogger for Windows.
    Your download should begin shortly. If you are experiencing problems with the download please use this direct link.
    - Nothing visible happens. No download manager, nothing...
    2) Attempt "direct link"
    - "ba72e66aec2aa81b9ff0414e0718a3f7 ubuntuzilla_4.1.1.py" appears on screen, no other activity.
    3) Attempt different site
    - Get choice of keylogger or Ubuntuzilla
    - Choose Ubuntuzilla
    - Same as 1)
    4) Choose San Jose
    - No result
    5) Attempt "direct link"
    - Get
    "from optparse import OptionParser
    import re
    import os, os.path
    import sys
    import stat
    import time
    #todo: skipbackup even in attended mode? really only need for tbird, and it already asks anyway?
    etc...
    (By ANY chance, can I simply copy this and paste it into the terminal?)
    6) Loop to line 1)...
    7) Self taught lesson in creative language...
    8) Beg for help again...

    I just must lack some kind of basic info. I have downloaded in Ubuntu with SeaMonkey before, it goes pretty normally, no problems, just like in Windoze.
    that first content you got' "ba72e66aec2aa81b9ff0414e0718a3f7 ubuntuzilla_4.1.1.py" must be the md5sum, not the script itself.
    when you get that second page, with "from optparse..."
    just go file -> save page as, and save that as ubuntuzilla.py in your home dir.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: I can't figure this out!!!

    OK, I got a few steps forward.

    1) Got main file from direct link method, saved - OK
    2) Can't get text file - continually either no result at all, or if I select direct link, get ba72e66aec2aa81b9ff0414e0718a3f7 ubuntuzilla_4.1.1.py every time, never get download or actual file (unless this is it?!?)
    3) I want SeaMonkey as a two-user program, I currently have it installed in File System/usr/local/seamonkey, and both she and I can access it. Where will the script put it? If not as mentioned, I presume I can do a search and replace to change the installation point? Or will it place Seamonkey in a better location and remove the old one?

    Thanks!
    Last edited by RogerDavis; July 1st, 2007 at 06:45 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Beans
    4,072
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: I can't figure this out!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDavis View Post
    OK, I got a few steps forward.

    1) Got main file from direct link method, saved - OK
    2) Can't get text file - continually either no result at all, or if I select direct link, get ba72e66aec2aa81b9ff0414e0718a3f7 ubuntuzilla_4.1.1.py every time, never get download or actual file (unless this is it?!?)
    3) I want SeaMonkey as a two-user program, I currently have it installed in File System/usr/local/seamonkey, and both she and I can access it. Where will the script put it? If not as mentioned, I presume I can do a search and replace to change the installation point? Or will it place Seamonkey in a better location and remove the old one?

    Thanks!
    ok, just to be clear again, here's a direct link to the .py file:
    http://superb-west.dl.sourceforge.ne...zilla_4.1.1.py
    right click on that, say save as, and save it to your home dir as ubuntuzilla.py

    you don't need any other file, just follow the instructions on the website for running the script. for seamonkey, the command line would be
    Code:
    python ~/ubuntuzilla.py -a install -p seamonkey
    follow the prompts, and seamonkey will be installed.

    the installation directory is /opt/seamonkey, this is where everything will go. it will also create an applications menu item for seamonkey, so you can use that to launch.

    so go run the script, and let us know how it goes.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: I can't figure this out!!!

    I now have the Ubuntuzilla file on hand. (Will it run from any location?)

    I can see that the installation directory is different from where I put the first SeaMonkey.

    If I don't want to leave trash around, or worse yet, have SeaMonkey stuff in two or more locations, will the script remove the old one but save the bookmarks, or should I delete it first and save the bookmarks separately?

    Thanks!
    Last edited by RogerDavis; July 1st, 2007 at 11:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •