Thread: Firefox - Making a "bookmark cleaner extension" ?

Beans

Lightbulb Firefox - Making a "bookmark cleaner extension" ?

Hi folks, I thought I might post my idea here today, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who could benefit this. My goal is to get someone to see this and say "hey, I can write that extension!" (because I can't ... sorry), or simply gather ideas.

Whenever I look back at my bookmarks, I see a huge pile of detritus that I don't even use anymore. Recently, I decided to not use the bookmark toolbar anymore and use only the bookmark sidebar, with the search-as-you-type-I-love-Firefox. That works great for me.

The thing is, however, that I came back to look at some folders in my bookmarks, mostly reference stuff and all. The Internet being what it is, I knew I would have to throw half of it away (at least) because the website would be closed, moved, fallen from a truck, etc.

Your mission, if you accept it, is to code an extension that can give you a list of all your bookmarks leading to 404, 403 and other stuff like this, and allow you to pick which elements to delete from that list. It might also be a good idea (but complicated) to have some kind of "fake" detector. For instance, a free hosting account dies. You get the webhost's page saying so, but it's not a 404, so the extension would need to recognize this as a "potentially dead page".

What do you guys think? I believe this "maintenance" plugin would be as important as "sudo apt-get clean" for me, even if it's used once a year.

P.s.: if I'm not really in the good forum/website to ask this, where could I release my idea?

Re: Firefox - Making a "bookmark cleaner extension" ?

Maybe this would suffice while you're waiting for someone to develop your software. Cron it or something.

http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/UnixReview/col56.html