Thread: Apple's iPhone to hit stores, lines grow

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Post Apple's iPhone to hit stores, lines grow

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070629/bs_nm/iphone_dc_2

Apple's iPhone to hit stores, lines grow

By Scott Hillis and Franklin Paul 1 hour, 2 minutes ago

SAN FRANCISCO/NEW YORK (Reuters) - Hundreds of gadget fans, or their paid stand-ins, lined up on Friday to be among the first buyers of Apple Inc.'s (Nasdaq:AAPL - news) iPhone, a music and video playing phone that seeks to reshape the mobile industry.

Just after dawn, nearly 200 people were waiting outside Apple's Fifth Avenue store in New York City for the device, which was not to go on sale for another 12 hours. The iPhone has whipped technology lovers into a frenzy usually reserved for rock stars.

"Its a gift for my wife," said Eric Brandon, 42. "It's a little expensive, but it's worth it because there is no other phone that's like it."

Some aimed to make a personal profit from the iPhone, which costs up to $600, by selling it or getting paid to wait. Others had been sent by family members or bosses keen on the bragging rights of being among its first owners.

"Some one is paying me a few hundred bucks to hold the spot," said Roy Fuller, 26, an administrative assistant who took the day off work to spend on line. "Right now it's $500, $600 ... I don't know if I want to shell that out right now for a phone."

The svelte, glassy iPhone goes on sale at 6 p.m. local time in U.S. cities. It is a gamble by Apple co-founder and Chief Executive Steve Jobs to build upon the success of the best-selling iPod music player and expand the market for the company's software and media services.

The iPhone melds a phone, Web browser and media player. It received rave reviews from U.S. technology gurus who praised the gadget as a "breakthrough" device that is "beautiful."

Jobs's reputation as a technology trendsetter rests on whether the iPhone can do for handsets what the iPod did for digital music: unify a fractured and confusing market with a slick, easy-to-use product.

"They want to extend the dominance they have in terms of their ability to create really elegant hardware and software integration," said Mark McGuire, an analyst with market research firm Gartner.

"This is the next big business unit for them."

RIVAL PHONE MAKERS FEEL HEAT

Some customers have camped outside Apple stores since the beginning of the week. Major newspapers have plastered their front pages with iPhone stories for days, and no tidbit has been too small to report for the galaxy of tech blogs.

The phone comes in two versions depending on memory capacity, and requires a two-year contract from AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T - news) for voice and data plans ranging from $60 to $100 a month.

Early reviews have highlighted the large touch-sensitive screen and the full-blown Web browser, while expressing concern over the quality of AT&T's network, the Apple phone's virtual keyboard and lack of features such as picture messaging.

The iPhone is already making itself felt in the industry before even a single unit is sold.

Rival Palm Inc. (NasdaqALM - news) said it could post a small loss and lower revenue this quarter because of slow sales and fears that the iPhone could hurt demand for its Treo smartphones.

"It's likely that as people try (the iPhone) out, there may be some stall in our sell-through," Palm Chief Executive Ed Colligan told Reuters on Thursday.

Apple looks set to sell lots of phones when the device hits shelves on Friday.

"We're building a fair number of them, but we may not (meet demand)," Jobs told the Wall Street Journal in an interview. "We've taken our best guess, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it ain't enough."

What's less clear is whether sales will hold up once the initial burst of excitement has waned.

Apple's shares have risen 30 percent since Jobs unveiled the phone in January, though the stock has fallen 2.5 percent over the past five days.

Apple was up at $121.40 in premarket trade from its close of $120.56 on Thursday.

Jobs aims to sell 10 million units in 2008, which would give Apple a 1 percent share of the global market and at least $5 billion in revenue over two years.

Piper Jaffray said this month Apple could sell 45 million units in 2009, putting the iPhone on par in terms of revenue with its two key businesses, the Macintosh computer and iPod.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Apple's iPhone to hit stores, lines grow

LOL, I'll never understand those folks who stand in a line all day just to get the first shipment of a product. I will however be amused when people get disillusioned from the "Aura of Apple hype" that Jobs is able to generate for any product. The iPhone has serious short comings just to point a few:

- Bad network speed (on a related note, its AT&T that alone should scare people)
    - Unremovable battery/SIM
    - Low quality camera with no video taking support (what on earth is that, youtube on the phone but people can't take videos and upload them to youtube?)

This was a good comparison to its most serious competition I guess, the Nokia n95

And yes, I am a curmudgeon/sceptic.
    Last edited by starcraft.man; June 29th, 2007 at 03:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Uhhhh... *faints*

Registered Linux User #419773, Ubuntu User #8473 ("It Is What It Is")

If you type rm -Rf / as root at command line you will get herpes... then die... (okay, it'll erase ALL your data)

Beans

I love the Idea of the IPhone but in the end I'll stick with my Nokia 5300 great phone works well with Amarok and shows up as a mass storage device

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Dah! There will be people who will buy that thing only because Apple makes it.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by starcraft.man View Post
    LOL, I'll never understand those folks who stand in a line all day just to get the first shipment of a product. I will however be amused when people get disillusioned from the "Aura of Apple hype" that Jobs is able to generate for any product. The iPhone has serious short comings just to point a few:

- Bad network speed (on a related note, its AT&T that alone should scare people)
    - Unremovable battery/SIM
    - Low quality camera with no video taking support (what on earth is that, youtube on the phone but people can't take videos and upload them to youtube?)

This was a good comparison to its most serious competition I guess, the Nokia n95

And yes, I am a curmudgeon/sceptic.
    For the first one, EDGE users have been seeing a huge boost in speed, according to reports. As for the second one, I can't think of anything Apple has ever made where the battery is removable, and third... meh, small loss.

According to reviews though, the iPhone lives up to the hype Steve Jobs has generated.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"- Optimus Prime

Beans

Ladies and gentlemen this is not the place for mobile phone talk.I'm kidding, check out phonescoop.com to see some very cool phones.I use that to compare phones before i spend the $.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I read that within 24 hours of going on sale 8000 iPhones were listed on Ebay. Of those 745 sold for an average of $960 (and some change). One other news article indicated that Apple had 10,000 phones for opening day, but it couldn't be verified. If so, that would be hilarious the vast majority of initial buyers had no intention of using it.