Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fun with XP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: fun with XP

hi,
    if your friend doesn't know his xp key, then he can slave the drive to another computer, and run 'Magical Jelly Bean', and point the app to look in the windows folder of the slave drive (his drive), and it will find the key, then you can copy it and keep it safe.
    http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

if he gets xp up and running, then use 'belarc advisor' which will list a profile of his pc, and also includes the installed windows key. he can keep a log file for future ref.
    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    Last edited by smoker; June 29th, 2007 at 10:38 AM. Reason: spelling
    Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

lots of replies LOL save yourself a lot of time and try my advice first, if it does the job (and I think it will) you will save yourself a lot of time.Any XP install disc will work, no key

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by loserboy View Post
    @marklid - you sure that chkdsk c: /f /r isn't a full format?

@Drempire - this boot menu doesnt offer that option

@umattu - I have multiple OEM discs, and the computer was a custom build it looks like, so theres no restore disc

what I'm trying to figure out now though is if I can use the repair with my OEM disc on his comp without needing his old key, or needing to use my key

Check this site out for usuage of chkdsk and fixmbr. Also as stated any winxp disk can be used to boot up the repair module it doesn't matter about the key.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

cool, will do.
    thanks for all the info, I used to be able to do this stuff on my own, but it seems I was so happy to get away from windows that I quickly forgot everything.
    "To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge"

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Don't worry. Sometimes I feel like I'm loosing my Windows knowledge because I've been using Ubuntu as my primary OS, except for a few things on Windows.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12