Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: How I got Halo: Combat evolved working on wine 0.9.39

Beans

Re: How I got Halo: Combat evolved working on wine 0.9.39

sorry to revive this thread but i can not seem to find answers anywhere:

Hello, i have been using ubuntu on my laptop for a long while, and i really like it better then windows besides the fact theirs a few games i cant run. I am here to try and fix that. I installed haloce and it boots, shows intro videos, then when it starts the graphics it really screws up, sometimes just showing blocks of colors sometimes weird shapes, other mostly unintelligible problems. Anyway here is winetricks installed:

d3dxof
    mfc42
    vcrun6sp6
    vcrun6

The graphics card is:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI M56GL [Mobility FireGL V5200]

which is more then capable of playing this old game.

I have tried many things like installing more libraries and commandline switches, but i wont other listing them all. Ubuntu lists no proprietary drivers, but i have seen in many places that the open source ones should support 3d correctly.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Wow, I still remember when this topic was fresh back in the day; this fills me with a lot of dejavu.

I think it would have been better to open a new thread with your question. And with WINE's current state of compatibility as it is now, you're not going to be able to play many high end 3D games on open source drivers. Maybe emulators and older idtech3-based shooters, but not HALO. D:

I'm honestly shocked your luck with AMD cards isn't much better than mine on Intel Graphics chipsets. You'll need at least an nVidea card with propriety drivers to run anything like Halo and beyond. WINE's compatibility isn't quite that perfect yet.

Beans

this firegl is in a thinkpad laptop computer so i can not really change the hardware and i do not believe that nvidia is offered even if I changed the whole mobo.

Why are their no drivers just because it is AMD?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

nVidea officially provides support for Linux with their line of cards, while AMD supports only Windows. Obviously, this leaves the open-source community with a lot of legwork to cover themselves. D:

Also, changing video hardware in laptops has always been possible, but it wasn't until recently that they started making it easier for the end-user to do. Try Googling your model and see if anyone has written a tutorial on replacing the graphics card, or if it's integrated, installing a card.

Although the price of a new card probably wouldn't be worth it to play older shooters, you could easily buy a cheap refurbished desktop with an integrated nVidea chipset more than capable of playing Halo 1 or 2 on the PC, and then some. I don't know how you'd play Halo on a laptop anyway without a controller or setting it up on a desk with a USB mouse, touchpads are horrible for aiming even if you disable "Lock touchpad while typing.". XD

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021