Beans

Re: How I got Halo: Combat evolved working on wine 0.9.39

It seems not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

The trend continues with 0.9.46.

When I have time I'll run a regression test, but I'm busy at the moment, so if someone else has time please go ahead and try if you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

How do u "copy" the file to the system32 folder?

mfc42.dll file I hit right click on the dll file select copy but it wont paste in the system32 folder in my fake c: drive
    "Ubuntu- Pleasing millions of users at a time"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

What happens? Does it give you an error message? Does nothing happen?

What I do is open the .rar with file-roller and extract it directly to the system32 folder.

UPDATE:

While Halo continues not to work with core wine, it works with the new version of Crossover (6.2) near flawlessly (still follow the guide)

It no-longer has the gnome "window" bug, and the framerate is higher. I suggest running Halo with crossover.

There is only one minor problem, and that haloupdate.exe does not work. You instead have to get the patch off the internet and run that instead. It will probably freeze at the end, but it should have finished. Run it again to make sure.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Nothing happens it dose not want to paste to the system32 file...
    thought it was bad (i deleted the it) i try again to see what happens
    "Ubuntu- Pleasing millions of users at a time"

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lordhebe View Post
    UPDATE:

While Halo continues not to work with core wine, it works with the new version of Crossover (6.2) near flawlessly (still follow the guide)

It no-longer has the gnome "window" bug, and the framerate is higher. I suggest running Halo with crossover.

There is only one minor problem, and that haloupdate.exe does not work. You instead have to get the patch off the internet and run that instead. It will probably freeze at the end, but it should have finished. Run it again to make sure.
    Confirmed. I originally installed and updated Halo using Wine 0.9.39 and then proceeded to upgrade Wine to the latest version. As there appears to be several errors running Halo on Wine, I noted Lordhebe's post and gave it a shot with CrossOver. The game is able to run in full-screen without the Gnome menubar problem, and there is a noticeable improvment in sound quality and framerates. If you absolutely must play Halo on Linux, I would advise you to download and install the CrossOver 6.2 demo. But, since Halo is not offically supported by Codeweavers (the developers of CrossOver) don't expect much tech support, your best bet is to stick with this message board and the Wine AppDB. YMMV.

If you like it, support the good people behind CrossOver and purchase a copy for yourself. Codeweavers simply "get it" and their technical support is top-notch. I've been a customer for abour a year now (since they offically supported WoW) and I highly recommend their services. And unlike Transgaming/Cedega, Codeweavers contributes code to the Wine project (I know of at least one Codeweavers dev that actively works on Wine).

Beans

I tried this with WINE version 0.9.39, but while entering my CD key, I get something about "Cannot load PidGen.DLL", and it sends me back to the CD key entry screen.
    Last edited by seanj; October 13th, 2007 at 08:22 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lordhebe View Post

Okay this is really weird haloupdate.exe worked for me in crossover 6.2........that and I still have the window problem to a degree.When I use a res under 1024x768 then its fine but the window problem reappears when I go higher then that.

I have 64-bit Ubuntu.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast