Thread: How I got Halo: Combat evolved working on wine 0.9.39

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: How I got Halo: Combat evolved working on wine 0.9.39

This line is not supposed to be taken literally:

Code:
    sudo wine /path/to/cdrom/Setup.Exe
    Also there is no reason to run wine as root with sudo. This is NOT part of the guide.

/path/to/cdrom/ need to actually be the PATH to your cdrom drive.. and then setup.exe

Beans

my video card would be

nVidia Corporation
    NVIDIA Vanta/Vanta LT 16 MB 4x AGP
    i have a pci video card i can take from another computer (shhh they wont notice =P)
    but i have to give up my sound for it
    Last edited by marq; July 6th, 2007 at 04:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by hikaricore View Post
    This line is not supposed to be taken literally:

Code:
    sudo wine /path/to/cdrom/Setup.Exe
    Also there is no reason to run wine as root with sudo. This is NOT part of the guide.

/path/to/cdrom/ need to actually be the PATH to your cdrom drive.. and then setup.exe
    Hikarecore - You are right - I actually figured that out last evening on my own. When I installed WINE I accidentally changed the c:\ drive reference in the winecfg to a root location. When I took a closer look at the error messages I was getting in the terminal window - I tried to install as root and it worked - then I realized my problem. I deleted the .wine folder and reinstalled wine. then it worked. I actually was able to install Halo.exe and run the updates.

However, when I click on the icon nothing happens. I will review the directions again and retrace my steps.

Overall - progress made and I learned something new. Not too bad!
    Finding New Ways to Use Ubuntu to Simplify My Digital Life.
    Linux - The Platform for a New Digital Generation.

Beans

I would like to know how well WOW and Neverwinter Nights runs on wine for you.

Beans

YES! It works. It freezes my comp in 1024X768, it has no sound, only works in safe mode, and doesnt always render. BUT IT WORKS! )

Here's some screens.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Are you using an ATI card by any chance? It seems that ATi cards have problems like that running Halo, bt we can't be sure.

Beans
    Hidden!

I followed your guide and was able to install Halo with Wine 0.9.39 (for some reason the installer would hang at "Creating game folders" when I used Wine Wine 0.9.40 or Wine 0.9.41). Anyway, my question is how can I improve in-game performance? I have the virtual desktop set to 1280x1024 and I launch the game with "-vidmode 1280,1024,60", all video settings are maxed out. The game runs horribly, even if I decrease the resolution and with particles disabled and the textures set to low. I don't run any another applications when using Halo, so I'm not quite sure what to make of it. I tried upgrading to Wine 0.9.40 and 0.9.41 but the performance is still sub-par. I checked the system requirements for Halo and my computer definitely exceeds the minimum requirements: AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 2 GB DDR 400 memory, BFG Technologies GeForce 7800GS AGP 8x (with the Nvidia drivers installed via Envy), on Feisty Fawn. I searched for some information on the Wine AppDB and didn't find anything useful. Are there any launch options or registry tweaks that I may have overlooked?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Ah, sorry for being late guys, I had some things come up. Anyways, I tried using wine .9.41, but it seems to freeze my entire system for some reason (aka powerbutton to reset). I'm redownloading .9.39 and I'll see if that makes a difference.

EDIT: Well, it looks like I am going to have to wait for my halo fix. .9.39 does not kill my system, but I have the black menu problem still. I guess I am going to have to wait for my halo fix in linux.

Lordhebe, if you get the time, would you mind trying .9.41 to see if there is a regression? It may be good to alert the wine devs to any problems now rather than later.
    Last edited by The Noble; July 14th, 2007 at 08:53 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I was finally able to get Halo to install with Wine 0.9.41. There was a problem with Wine 0.9.41 and the Halo installer that prevented the installer from copying a file, "msxmlenu.msi", to the Halo folder on the Wine virtual drive. So, by copying msxmlenu.msi from the Redist directory on the Halo CD to the Halo folder on drive_c, the installer was then able to proceed without further complications.

edit:
    Ok, I just played through most of the first level, and everything appears to work properly in Wine 0.9.41. The flashlight was functioning and there was no noticeable mouse lag. I ran the game at 800x600, I am going to up the resolution to see if I experience any performance degradation similar to when I ran Halo with Wine 0.9.39.

update:
    I managed to bump the resolution up to 1280x1024. Halo appears to run pretty smooth.
    Last edited by beeldings; July 16th, 2007 at 11:21 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by marq View Post
    my video card would be

nVidia Corporation
    NVIDIA Vanta/Vanta LT 16 MB 4x AGP
    i have a pci video card i can take from another computer (shhh they wont notice =P)
    but i have to give up my sound for it
    Your Problem is You don't meant the Minimum system requirements

Anyway I got Halo to play finally here's a pic

Game runs great on my Geforce 6800 GS video card,I am using Wine 0.9.41.Full screen has a few problems on my computer but I can fix this by zooming in with CTRL +.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast