Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How I got Halo: Combat evolved working on wine 0.9.39

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Wine Installation Issues for Halo - Lord HeBe Help

I followed your instructions below for installing Wine.

Step 1: Install wine ==

1. Install wine, following instructions on winehq: http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb Remember to run winecfg, and configure your sound drivers. It doesn't matter whether you're set to OSS or ALSA, performance is the same.

However- when I tried to run winecfg - the terminal window would say it could not create the paths c:\setup or c:\win32, etc. It appears it did not have authority to install these directories. Hence I could not install the updated .dll file later on in your tutorial.

How did I screw up mu installation of wine and how can I reverse it and start over??

Finding New Ways to Use Ubuntu to Simplify My Digital Life.
    Linux - The Platform for a New Digital Generation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Wine Installation Issues for Halo - Lord HeBe Help

Hey if you ever get Wine working let me know.
    I never could get it to play my favorite games.
    From Canada Quebec,Am 57 years of age.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Wine Installation Issues for Halo - Lord HeBe Help

Merged threads.

If you are responding with questions on an recent EXISTING guide what purpose does it serve making a new thread?

Beans

Re: How I got Halo: Combat evolved working on wine 0.9.39

alright, i followed the guide exactly, but i cant seem to get it working,
    if i remove the novideo flag, the videos do run but then when it comes time for the menu, i have a black screen, with choppy sound in the back.

when i run wine halo.exe i get the following error message

err:module:import_dll Library ogg.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\vorbisfile.dll") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library vorbis.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\vorbisfile.dll") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library vorbisfile.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\marq\\halo.exe") not found
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\home\\marq\\halo.exe" failed, status c0000135
    i tryed installing those libraries to my system32 folder on the fake c drive wine makes, and i still get them

i have a 1.7 ghz processor, 640 megs of ram and i though i had a 16 meg video card (i know the halo says it needs 32 but i tryed anyways....and wine tells me it's 64 meg so it might be) it's an old nvidia card so i shouldent have those ati problems i've been hearing about

it installed wthout any problems and used the nocd patch, im using the -novideo --vidmode 640,480,60

i read the appdb and can recognize my problem as bug#7264 but do not understand how to fix it

i dont know what to do, id install windows in dual boot but i dont have a big enough harddrive

anything helps, thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hmmm, a 16mb card? I'm guessing that your black screen at the menu is because of insufficient memory available. Oh and I thought wine doesn't detect how much memory your card has, it you have to specify it in regedit, and 64mb was the default. Oh and I getting this right? It ran if you don't have the -novideo command it runs? Try running with -use11

Beans

it runs the videos without it, but the menu stays the same, i currently have 2 choises, watch the pretty videos then watch a black screen, or watch a black screen lol
    thanks for the tip ill try it

Beans

i tryed using -use11
    suprisingly it still runs with the black screen, but the audio has changed to completely spectacular

im not sure if it matters but my card is agp, and pretty old, chances are it's a 16 though

edit: would it help to run it from a terminal without gnome and everything?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

What is the actual card? If it's only got 16 there's a high chance that you won't be able to run Halo, no make that next to zero chance. As a last resort try using the -useff flag. It caused severe graphical glitches for me, but from what I can tell it is for running Halo on pre-pixel shader cards. It might get the game running in a barely playable state.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by lordhebe View Post
    What is the actual card? If it's only got 16 there's a high chance that you won't be able to run Halo, no make that next to zero chance. As a last resort try using the -useff flag. It caused severe graphical glitches for me, but from what I can tell it is for running Halo on pre-pixel shader cards. It might get the game running in a barely playable state.
    Lord Hebe - Can I get your assistance on my problem with WINE installation. It doesn't install the fake c:\ drive on my machine - complains about permission.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I tried to install Halo in Wine and got the following message:

XXXX@grendel:~$ sudo wine /path/to/cdrom/Setup.Exe
    Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system32" is not accessible.
    Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working directory '/home/XXXXXX', starting in the Windows directory.
    wine: cannot find '/path/to/cdrom/Setup.Exe'
    XXXX@XXXXX:~$

Any ideas on I am doing wrong??
    Last edited by GMU_DodgyHodgy; July 25th, 2007 at 02:51 PM.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast