Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Dell and the Windows refund policy [Canada] a step forwards!

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Dell and the Windows refund policy [Canada] a step forwards!

I stumbled on this thread when I saw Dell was selling Inspiron 530s with Ubuntu pre-installed. Just for fun, I configured a similar Vista system on the Dell site, and it came in at $10 less than the Ubuntu package. Actulally the Vista machine was slightly better in that it had a 2GHz CPU over the Ubuntu 1.8 Ghz CPU. ( I guess Dell knows that Linux runs better than Windows, so they thought we wouldn't need as good of a processor). Anyway, where is the Windows rebate on this machine, when it leaves the factory never having been installed with Microsoft? And if you should want to apply for the OS rebate, what sticker would you peel off? the UL/CSA certification maybe, LOL.

Beans

Re: Dell and the Windows refund policy [Canada] a step forwards!

Quote Originally Posted by az View Post
    To be honest, I can see their point of view; I'm certain they make no profit from preinstalling a windows OS per se.
    I'm certain that they DO make a profit. Why else would they do it?

Beans

Re: Dell and the Windows refund policy [Canada] a step forwards!

Just a comical and completely off-topic aside - if you had named the thread "[SOLVED]" at the beginning, and then marked the thread as solved, it'd say "[SOLVED] [SOLVED]".

Beans

I don't think we can call this thing [SOLVED] yet, by any means. Go to the Dell Canada website and configure two separate machines, one with windows and one with Ubuntu. Two can do them both at the same time in different tabs. Below are the two I did. Quite a difference.

VISTA - $769
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5550 (1.83GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache) english
    OPERATING SYSTEMGenuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium Edition
    SYSTEM COLOURJet Black
    LCD AND CAMERAGlossy, widescreen 15.4 inch display (1280x800)
    INTEGRATED WEBCAMIntegrated 2.0M Pixel Webcam
    MEMORY2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
    HARD DRIVE250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
    GRAPHICS CARDIntel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
    OPTICAL DRIVE8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
    WIRELESS CARDIntel Next -Gen Wireless -N Mini -card
    BLUETOOTHDell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)
    BATTERY OPTIONS56Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell)
    SOUND OPTIONSHigh Definition Audio 2.0

UBUNTU - $1059
    PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5550 (1.83GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)?
    OPERATING SYSTEM Ubuntu Linux version 7.10 with DVD Playback
    SYSTEM COLOUR Jet Black
    LCD DISPLAY Glossy, widescreen 15.4 inch display (1280x800)
    INTEGRATED WEBCAM Integrated 2.0M Pixel Webcam
    MEMORY 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
    HARD DRIVE 250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
    GRAPHICS CARD Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
    OPTICAL DRIVE 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
    HARDWARE SERVICES 1 Year Limited Warranty w/1 Year Return To Depot Service
    WIRELESS CARD Intel® 3945 802.11a/g Mini-card
    BLUETOOTH Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)
    BATTERY OPTIONS 85Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)
    SOUND OPTIONS High Definition Audio 2.0

I want Ubuntu on my laptop, in fact I bought a Dell last summer before they were available here and I put Ubuntu on it. I also want to support Ubuntu, but 300 buck is a lot. I have advised others in the purchase of a 1525 or 1725 and I would love to recommend Ubuntu, but of the 4 people I helped, I could not tell them to pay EXTRA for a FREE OS.

Beans

Oops, just realized, I had the bigger battery option on the Ubuntu one. Price difference is actually $230. Still a lot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Shameless. And the Windows machine has a better wireless card, according to your post (unless you happen to prefer a/g over n).

db

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

hmm sounds a lot like the problems they were having in the US during the initial release.

Anyways if you guys want I can 'unsolve' this thread and we can use it to pressure Dell to provide identical deals with the Ubuntu computers, or we can open a new thread about it.

While this thread has gotten a fair degree of attention, I just think the current issue may not relate to the initial topic.

Thus in my opinion, I recommend forwarding issues over Dell's pricing to this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=740278

or one 'Canadian' related

-Kevin

Beans

I believe this thread should be unmarked as solved. Try to visit the Dell Ubuntu site at dell.ca/ubuntu, and click through. You'll find that Dell Canada is currently offering no computers preloaded with Ubuntu:

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topi...hs1&l=en&s=dhs

Compare this with Dell US:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...dhs&~ck=anavml

I need a new computer, and I would really like to get the Inspiron 15n, but as I'm in Canada, I don't have access to it. I guess I'm just going to have to buy the Inspiron 15 with Windows Vista and ask Dell to offer me a refund.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I've had a very different experience with this issue.

I've talked with Dell, HP, Compaq, and Gateway about computers (around the time this post was made). Though none of them had the option on their site, all were more than willing to ship it without Windows XP Home (Vista was not out yet). It was as simple as asking "can I get XXX without XP?" Every one answered in the affirmative without hassle. They all took about $85 off of the price. I didn't actually purchase one without windows, though. I was merely curious. I was calling on behalf of a family member, who eventually got a Gateway with XP Home.

Also, what made me think to ask that was something on the news around that time. They said something like it is illegal for them to only sell that, and they are required by law to not add it if asked. They went on to say that they aren't required to have the option on their website, only that they had to comply if asked (by phone, email, etc.). Well, they all did

One thing that I noticed... only $25 was offered? That is far less than they offered to take off before purchase. This sounds very suspicious, though it may be beating a dead horse now.

I'm curious what they would say now...

PS: I wouldn't want them to install Ubuntu for me. They would no doubt charge some sort of fee. I would much rather get a Vista one and have them take off Vista.

Now, this is all in the US. Canada might not have that protection. But it does beg the question: why was the machine purchased with windows, instead of never having it added in the first place?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I work at a College and I'm disappointed to report that, aside from the listed Ubuntu models (pink, anyone?) I'm not able to purchase a Dell, even through our Corporate rep. I'll let the interested parties speak for themselves:

From Salvatore Martorana, Account Manager | Public Sector | Dell Canada:

<quote>I cannot remove any of the system software except the roxio which I will do so and send you new quote</quote>

Our IT director then confirmed for me that when the college buys Dell computers they come with Windows preinstalled, despite the fact that we have a site license, and we image every new machine with Windows anyway. Even Windows customers are being forced to buy extra copies of Windows!

Disappointing news indeed. Next time you read a stat on the number of copies of Windows sold, keep in mind that a few thousand of those are duplicates, thanks to my small employer alone. I can't imagine it's any different for any other institution or corporation with volume licensing, at least those buying from Dell and any other OEM that refuses to give you the choice.
    db

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast