Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtualbox

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Virtualbox

If I set XP to have 512 MB of ram and 128 MB of my graphics memory would I be able to play old 3d games like the original counter strike?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Virtualbox

Why don't you play counterstrike in Wine?
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    Why don't you play counterstrike in Wine?
    I second that. I've been playing counter strike in wine for a few weeks now. Runs better than in windows. Only problem is my mic. Doesn't work well yet.

You should give wine a go for counter strike and some other games (I'm running call of duty 2 in wine too).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

To actually answer you're question (unlike the other responders)....

No, virtuabox does not support 3d technologies. Since it provides only a virtual 2d graphics driver all 3d games are currently unfeasible.

VMWare does support limited 3d (directx 8 - I think) so maybe give that a go if you want legacy gaming in a virtual machine.
    "Most people would die rather than think, and many of them do." - Bertrand Russell

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Tiftof View Post
    I second that. I've been playing counter strike in wine for a few weeks now. Runs better than in windows. Only problem is my mic. Doesn't work well yet.

You should give wine a go for counter strike and some other games (I'm running call of duty 2 in wine too).
    You must be lying because I just ran CS in wine and it runs at around 5-10 fps with all the setting down. Don't lie to make wine look like a good substitute to Windows.

Beans

I would hazard a guess at saying thats your computer. Not wine?
    -[Discipline] - Macbook Pro 5,3 - Intel Core2Duo 2.66Ghz, 4Gb RAM, Nvidia 9400M + 9600GT, 320Gb HDD, Mac OSX 10.7.1 Lion
    -Windows free since May 2007.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by conanm4 View Post
    You must be lying because I just ran CS in wine and it runs at around 5-10 fps with all the setting down. Don't lie to make wine look like a good substitute to Windows.
    I used to run Counter-Strike in Wine too. I have to agree that it does run smoother than in Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Please post your complete system specs, as well as the output from the following:
    lspci
    dmesg
    glxinfo | grep direct
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

core 2 duo E6600 2.4 ghz, 3GB of ram, nvidia 7900gtx, yeah it must be my computer.
    /sarcasm

Beans

I think its a pebcak error, either that or we'll find that you've got an id-10t problem in there somewhere.
    /sarcasm +1

Wine plays all HL and HL2 games beautifully provided you've got everything set up correctly. Based on your spec you should be getting an excellent CS gaming experience - Give us the info that tgm4883 asked for and we'll help you diagnose the real problem.

Proof of how great ubuntu and CS should be - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8X_rvSBQnY
    Last edited by stuart.crouch; June 29th, 2007 at 03:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast