Thread: How does one find out the wireless chipset in Windows?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

How does one find out the wireless chipset in Windows?

Long story short: How does one find out the wireless card chipset in Windows?

The long story:

I am interested in buying a wireless card from a Windows user. But the user does not know how to look up the chipset in Windows.

It is one of those wireless cards that has multiple chipsets for a single model. 50% it is a chipset that works for linux, 50% it is a chipset that does not.

I already have 3 cards here that do not work with Linux. So I do not want to take anymore chances.

The user lives out of town. Now, I am not going to go all the way out of town with a live-CD to look up the chipset and risk coming back empty-handed. Nor will the user go through the hassle to download a Linux live-CD, boot it, and look it up.

So how does one find out the chipset of a wireless card in Windows?
    When possible, instructions in CLI please.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How does one find out the wireless chipset in Windows?

Another route is to look up the card here:
    http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/j...id,33/id,list/

hope this helps someone as this is a bit outdated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: How does one find out the wireless chipset in Windows?

if you ask them to right click on 'my computer' select 'properties', click the 'hardware' tab, and open 'device manager', then scroll down to 'network adapters', right click, and select 'properties' again, and you should gain enough info to check out the card. if you don't, then google the info you do have and you should be able to get the full specs.

best of luck
    Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."