Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Google Desktop Finally...

Beans

Re: Google Desktop Finally...

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    I really don't see what is so great about this. It will probably run via Wine like Picasa does, it won't integrate like Strigi, and it isn't open source... just because it says Google everybody wants it?
    It doesn't run via Wine and it seems to be integrating as much as I'd like a desktop search application to.

Thankyou to Google - good to see linux being supported better =)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Works in Feisty 64bit here.

$ sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture googledesktop-blahblah.deb

Beans

I don't see whats so great about it. You don't even get the widgets just the search. And google desktop search has a lot of privacy issues. There is beagle for an open alternative.

If anything from google desktop would be useful it would be some of the widgets

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I find it rather nifty.
    Join me in my "No Thread Left Behind Act", the quest to leave no thread unanswered
    http://www.facebook.com/patrick.gunsolley
    Kubuntu 10.04 - Primary OS, Fedora 13 Rawhide Tester

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

i prefer beagle; infact, if there were a windows version of it, I will probably use that instead of GoogleDesktop on our Desktop pc.
    Windows 7 RC
    Dell Latitude D620 - C2d 2 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro Graphics, 120 GB HDD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

so this is the start of google's little spree of releasing their programs for linux.

Ill try it out and see which one i prefer, but still its nice to have some big companies supporting other operating systems other then mac/windows
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

to be honest, i woulda preferred to have seen a google talk client for linux. one thing i cant stand is the fact that pidgin STILL does not have voice support. after how many years of development, im wondering if voice conversations will EVER arrive in linux. the only hope i have now is that sometime in the future google will wake up and create a linux version of their google talk client.

anyways, just my opinion. i never liked google desktop, even for windows. never had much use for it. but its good that it is available for linux. just would like to see the google talk application being made for linux.

Beans

I looked around the Google Desktop site and I could not find the license for this. How much of my privacy and freedom must I give up to use this? I'm not saying that Google Desktop is a bad thing or even that their license is bad (although F/OSS license is always my preference!), I just want to know BEFORE I install it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hm. It's a nice gesture that Google's actually going this far to even acknowledge Linux's existence, but I don't see the point with this one. We already have Beagle and Tracker, which I can at least use from Gnome's ever-handy deskbar applet, unlike this thing.

Picasa and Google Earth are cool enough, but Google Desktop, at least on Linux, is late to the party.

And I'd much rather see voice/webcam support in Pidgin first than a Google Talk port. Having to have a bunch of IM clients open all at once is kind of irritating.
    Last edited by Xanatos Craven; June 28th, 2007 at 08:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos Craven View Post
    Hm. It's a nice gesture that Google's actually going this far to even acknowledge Linux's existence, but I don't see the point with this one. We already have Beagle and Tracker, which I can at least use from Gnome's ever-handy deskbar applet, unlike this thing.

Picasa and Google Earth are cool enough, but Google Desktop, at least on Linux, is late to the party.

And I'd much rather see voice/webcam support in Pidgin first than a Google Talk port. Having to have a bunch of IM clients open all at once is kind of irritating.
    i agree. i would also like to see such things in gaim. but as i said previously, gaim has taken 3 years to introduce pidgin 2.0, which has virtually no improvements. it looks slightly cleaner, and some things have changed a little. but after 3 years....its kinda sad. they are making absolutely no progress. i've resided to the fact that there are only 2 ways that we will see google talk voice support in linux. the first, google creates a linux client. the second option is for me to write an IM program from scratch. as for gaim/pidgin, i dont believe there will be voice or video support for the next 3 to 5 years at least.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast