Thread: Really bad font rendering on Thunderbird 2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Really bad font rendering on Thunderbird 2

Hello,

I've installed Thunderbird 2 through Ubuntuzilla but the font rendering is really bad and not like the rest of the system.

What's wrong?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Really bad font rendering on Thunderbird 2

hi,
    there's an older thread discussing this issue... seems its an issue with the thunderbird build itself (a solution to which problem was not really found...): http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=458087

please see if your stuff looks like those screenshots, or if it's something different (in which case it could be a different problem)...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yep, It's the exact same problem.

Well, I think I will switch to the 1.5 version since it seems to be rendering well the fonts.

Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tL0z View Post
    Yep, It's the exact same problem.

Well, I think I will switch to the 1.5 version since it seems to be rendering well the fonts.

Thanks for your help.
    ok, sorry i couldn't help. good luck.

Beans

I have the same issue - firefox also displays the problem. Does no one else have this issue? Running Feisty 32 bit Intel here.

Beans

for example the text I'm typing looks different in the script installed version vs ubuntu provided version.

However, it's not bad.

Code:
    This text looks the same as shown in the thunderbird screenshots. Really thin and blocky

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by guitara View Post
    for example the text I'm typing looks different in the script installed version vs ubuntu provided version.

However, it's not bad.

Code:
    This text looks the same as shown in the thunderbird screenshots. Really thin and blocky
    here are two screenshots from both ubuntu repos firefox, and mozilla-build firefox, viewing your post. the text looks somewhat different, but neither is at all "better" or "worse" than the other, i'd say. check them out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I'd agree - the text shown in the code box is what i have issue with - it's not so bad when browsing, but it's horrible inside thunderbird. I tried playing with the about:config settings but didn't get anywhere. I'll live with it for now, since the mozilla installs of firefox and thunderbird from the script seem to not suffer from the memory leaks I had with a backported version of thunderbird 2. I left it running for a couple days, and it consumed 500+ MBs of RAM! Perhaps the ubuntu packagers could answer the question - they know how they've modified the sources.