Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scummvm 0.10.0 out

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Smile Scummvm 0.10.0 out

I don't think anyone posted this, so adventure gamers rejoice!

* Several new engines and thus new games supported:
    o Sierra AGI engine: Space Quest I & II, King's Quest I-III and many more, including a vast number of fan-made games,
    o Cinematique evo 1 engine: Future Wars,
    o GOB engine: Bargon Attack, Gobliins 2, Goblins 3, Ween: The Prophecy,
    o AGOS engine: Simon the Sorcerer's Puzzle Pack,
    o Parallaction engine: Nippon Safes Inc.,
    o Touche: The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer engine.
    * DXA movies (higher quality than MPEG2) can be compressed better now and can be used for the Broken Sword cutscenes.
    * Added 'Mass Add' feature to the Launcher, which allows you to scan for all games in all subdirectories of a given directory (to use it, press shift then click on "Add Game").
    * Many nice improvements to our ports.
    * And as usual a gazillion small fixes, tweaks and improvements.
    www.scummvm.org

Screenshot below, running good old King's Quest III (just like old times, except no floppy swapping, and the PC Speaker sound is "simulated", and well using hq3x filtering... )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The idea of copyright did not exist in ancient times, when authors frequently copied other authors at length in works of non-fiction. This practice was useful, and is the only way many authors' works have survived even in part. -- Richard Stallman

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Scummvm 0.10.0 out

gawd I hated floppy swapping...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Post Re: Scummvm 0.10.0 out

GetDeb already has the deb files you need to install it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by hikaricore View Post
    gawd I hated floppy swapping...
    Memories.

Please insert Disk 2 of 5, and press enter.
    *drive makes noise* and hopefully continues.

The number one worst annoyance IMHO was the 640k conventional memory limitation. Playing with himem and all that stuff. That and toying with irq, dma, etc. coming a close second for me.

When I hear people say oh it's better to get an old box to run DOS games... I wonder if they ever owned one. Let's not get started on timing issues either, at least PC's had that "turbo" button for a while to slow things down...

Either way, I'm glad the games didn't disappear, and can be run with less hassle and/or extra features now.
    The idea of copyright did not exist in ancient times, when authors frequently copied other authors at length in works of non-fiction. This practice was useful, and is the only way many authors' works have survived even in part. -- Richard Stallman

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BoyOfDestiny View Post
    Memories.
    The number one worst annoyance IMHO was the 640k conventional memory limitation. Playing with himem and all that stuff. That and toying with irq, dma, etc. coming a close second for me.

When I hear people say oh it's better to get an old box to run DOS games... I wonder if they ever owned one. Let's not get started on timing issues either, at least PC's had that "turbo" button for a while to slow things down...
    Ugghhh..... that first part reminds me of trying to get The 7th Guest to run on my old 386sx. That was a nightmare. >.<

And for some reason my step father always liked to have that turbo button pressed even though he had no idea what it did... lol

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lingnoi View Post
    GetDeb already has the deb files you need to install it.
    Any change this gets to gutsy repositories?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by i23098 View Post
    Any change this gets to gutsy repositories?
    Agreed.

Beans
    Distro

With Gutsy already being released a while back there is next to no chance that this version will end up in the repos unless the last release has a serious bug or poses security risk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I always pressed the turbo button.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by hikaricore View Post
    With Gutsy already being released a while back there is next to no chance that this version will end up in the repos unless the last release has a serious bug or poses security risk.

Here's how to easily install scummvm 0.10.0 in Gutsy (for us noobs).

I had tried getting the .deb file from www.getdeb.net (I forgot, you have to change your version to Feisty on get deb for this to work http://www.getdeb.net/distro_select.php . Alternately, I'm guessing the Debian Etch .deb on scummvm's site would probably work but I haven't tried it) but it gave me an error saying that "Dependancy is not satisfiable: libflac7." Evidently, it depends on libflac 7 and won't work with the libflac8 that ships with Gutsy. Rather than building it from source (I'm kind of a noob and this just seems like a pain in the ***), I went here http://packages.debian.org/stable/libs/libflac7 (Debian Etch libraries), chose my architecture, downloaded and installed libflac 7 in deb format (so I have both 7 and 8 now). After that, the .deb file on getdeb.net installed without a hitch and scummvm plays great.

You would think that there would be a way to make dependencies not rely on an older version like that. Shouldn't a new version work? If it doesn't, shouldn't someone figure out how to make that sort of thing work? Seems kind of weak that it looks for an older version and won't accept a newer one.

Anyway. Enjoy.
    Last edited by rhombus; December 17th, 2007 at 07:20 AM. Reason: forgot distro version change

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast