Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linus talks over Gnome Desktop Architect

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Linus talks over Gnome Desktop Architect

Check this out, kinda interesting to know: https://lists.linux-foundation.org/p...ry/001127.html
    .:.:.[)[@[)|2.:.:.
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side-effect." -- Linus Torvald.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Linus talks over Gnome Desktop Architect

That is very interesting, Ive never seen that before.
    The post was in Febuary.
    I agree the mouse features in Gnome are pathetic. Changing Theme features in Gnome is very limited as well.
    It would be nice if they would up a few features in Gnome, but overall I like Gnome and will continue to use it.

Beans

Linus is a windbag.
    Touting "community" as a strength of a distribution is the equivalent of stating that it has poor documentation.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

It has been posted here before, and while I am a Gnome user myself I agree with Linus, add the ability to configure as much as possible, you don't have to make it the standard option that users face, but please put it in there and allow the power users to find it and use it through some GUI.

One thing I still am waiting for in Gnome is different wallpapers for multiple monitor set up.
    Recommended Resources: Ubuntu Linux Resources

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I dunno, I find GNOME pretty customizable and functional.
    It's always funny though, Linus seems to be a very angry man sometimes.
    On the other hand, he never talked about his actual experiences with GNOME, just that he wrote fixes for it, and what "crap".

Beans

I did see references a while ago that gnome had got a lot of its funding from corporations (IBM might have been one) who wanted a desktop suitable for corporate environments. Hence the emphasis on simplicity and the lack of options doesn't matter as corporate users wouldn't be allowed control over the desktop anyway. Whereas kde has always been aimed more at the enthusiast/geek market and hence has an option for virtually everything, if you can find it.

I use kde for the apps and can't get that excited about any de in itself but I did find gnome a bit too simplistic. I prefer being able to configure things how I want rather than having things set by the developer and just having to accept their decisions. Of course configurability has to be made easy to be of use to most people. Opera is really easy to set many aspecs of the ui whereas Konqueror can be a pain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Linus is a flamebait, gnome is all right
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by tageiru View Post
    Linus is a windbag.
    When you've done as much for Linux as he has done, feel free to comment on him. Until then, kindly put up or shut up.

I'm with Linus on this one. Not only has he done his criticising, but he has also done some coding. IMHO, that's a good move.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hey, he is a great kernel maker and so and so we all love him for that, but he is also pretty bad at this kind of things. This time he is being a flamebait. I have read the message and it is not "just criticizing". Good that he made code but the way he is making the post is not all right.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    Hey, he is a great kernel maker and so and so we all love him for that, but he is also pretty bad at this kind of things. This time he is being a flamebait. I have read the message and it is not "just criticizing". Good that he made code but the way he is making the post is not all right.
    I was thinking the same indeed. Even if it is true what he says, a little more tact would never hurt.

On the other hand: he didn't say 'konfigure'. That would be real bad...
    Nuts. Totally linuts.

linux game: slingshot

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast