Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Linux - a Windows users perspective

Beans

Ubuntu Linux - a Windows users perspective

When I installed windows it found drivers for my monitor..
    Every release of Ubuntu gives me a monitor resolution of 480x600 and a problem to resolve..

Windows works with my printer/scanner etc..
    With Ubuntu nothing works..

My wireless card is recognised by windows..
    On Ubuntu it isnt..

When I install applications on windows I just double click a download..
    When I install software on Ubuntu I have to hope it is in the repository or do without it..

When I upgrade windows it just works..
    When I try to upgrade Ubuntu it either can't find 101 dependencies or it overwrites grub and stops my dual boot working..

When I ask for help on windows I get an answer I can understand..
    When I ask for help on Linux I get told a command line with no explanation and learn nothing..

I can now fix most problems that occur with win98/XP/Vista..
    After months of casual Linux use I still struggle to get anything useful done..

Can someone remind me again what is so great about Ubuntu Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu Linux - a Windows users perspective

IMO your not ready for linux. Sorry. Use what works for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

What you are complaining about is baby stuff....windows is closed source so you are suck with what ya got,can you build programs on windows....i dont think so,everything you use on windows initially started on Linux and thats what its there for.not to double click away into simple land ¬¬
    BTW windows is as unstable as Charles manson and is constantly attacked by malware spyware and virisus!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sounds like your unlucky with your hardware, everything works for me on a clean install. Ok I get a resolution of 1024x768 but that's easily changed to 1680x1050 by installing the driver and editing Xorg.

As for software, if it's not in the repo, it's not the end of the world. Most of the time you can find a deb and if not, compiling is not difficult.

Perhaps you need to try a different distro that might have better suited hardware support out of the box for your setup?
    Last edited by _simon_; June 26th, 2007 at 08:51 PM.

Beans

Every release of Ubuntu gives me a monitor resolution of 480x600 and a problem to resolve..
    That's a strange resolution! I get 1024x768 every install - but then I use the restricted driver manager (or whatever it's called!) to install the correct driver... Even 3D works great.

Like _simon_ said, probably just unlucky with you hardware.
    Last edited by Lster; June 26th, 2007 at 02:50 PM.

Beans

Maybe not - but I am very experienced with windows so despite the impression given I should be able to get Ubunto going. I know that Canonical spend a great deal of money trying to get towards establishing Ubuntu in the mainstream as a Windows alternative. I think they should be concerned that even experienced windows users end up frustrated with so many problems after what should be a simple install procedure.

Canonical - spend some of your marketing budget on getting your install working rather than keep sending out Ubuntu CDs that dont install properly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMusicAddict View Post
    IMO your not ready for linux. Sorry. Use what works for you.
    +1. Sorry it didnt work out for you.
    As punishment for my contempt for authority, Fate has made me an authority myself.
    --Albert Einstein

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ENN0 View Post
    What you are complaining about is baby stuff....double click away into simple land
    Helpful response and typical of someone who doesnt want it to be easy because they like the superiority that their knowledge gives them. I think if you had a financial interest in Ubuntu going mainstream like Canonical does you might take more notice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman123 View Post
    Maybe not - but I am very experienced with windows so despite the impression given I should be able to get Ubunto going. I know that Canonical spend a great deal of money trying to get towards establishing Ubuntu in the mainstream as a Windows alternative. I think they should be concerned that even experienced windows users end up frustrated with so many problems after what should be a simple install procedure.

Canonical - spend some of your marketing budget on getting your install working rather than keep sending out Ubuntu CDs that dont install properly.
    The greatest thing about Ubuntu is, We don't care if you use it or not. Not like it makes a difference. If you want help, We try our best to provide it as VOLUNTEERS whom love the community and the operating system.

If you want to stick with windows, Hey that's cool too man. I personally don't hate windows, But I bet if I had a harder time getting Ubuntu to work from the start I wouldn't react like you at all. If it's possible to figure out, Even if I have to learn the system from the ground up, I'm willing to do it. It's called learning.

And I think it was one of the admins who said 'Teaching someone who doesn't know computers to use Ubuntu is easier than teaching someone who has always used windows.", Just like a second language versus a first one.

It's cool though man, Really. Whatever works for you works, And I'm glad. If you feel like coming back to Ubuntu again sometime down the road feel free to hit up the forum again, Or even me PERSONALLY. I think my contact information is public.
    When I had no temple I made
    My voice my temple. I have
    No priest, my tongue is my choir.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dokatz View Post
    The greatest thing about Ubuntu is, We don't care if you use it or not. Not like it makes a difference..
    And is that my point - you dont care because you are not paying for Ubuntu.. Canonical are and they are not doing for love - they are doing it to establish a brand which they hope to make money from - either by selling the OS, lincencing or support.

Canonical need people like me who show an interest in their product because it is people like me who they hope to eventually sell it to.

It is people like you who they dont need because once their commercial model is defined it is you who will move onto the next free distro.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast