Thread: Halo 2 Vista, wanna help?

Beans

Halo 2 Vista, wanna help?

Well, we already have it running on XP, but how about Wine? I don't own the game, so I have not yet tried just running it, but I doubt it will work, what with the Vista DirectX APIs that it requires. I already know that Sapien, the level editor (for the most part, I could more in-depth on how bad the 'editing tools' are, but you don't want to to hear that), gets to the same point on an incompatible card as it does on Vista - to the main screen, right before attempting to start the DirectX rasterizer. I don't know what is actually causing the error, whether it is a lack of APIs (I did get a "DLL required" error, but fixed it, and it as a DirectX library), or if it's just the same problem Vista was having (the graphics card I have does not support a certain texture format required by the game)

Regardless, if it can run on XP, do you think we can get it to run on Wine? I'll be testing it out on my desktop after I install Ubuntu (which I only use on my laptop right now). My desktop has a fully supportive Radeon x800 and should work fine.

So, any help would be appreciated!
    Help bring Halo 2 to Linux!

Beans

Re: Halo 2 Vista, wanna help?

winehq says it wont work
    Last edited by stuart.crouch; June 25th, 2007 at 04:42 PM.

Beans

I don't believe anyone has tried running it with the compatibility tools used with XP.
    Running it straight will not work, guaranteed, there are too many missing files.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

From what I know Halo 2 was released too early to use DX10 (As was planned with Halo 2 & Shadowrun), so it may be possible to run under wine.

But don't hold your breath.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hikaricore View Post
    From what I know Halo 2 was released too early to use DX10 (As was planned with Halo 2 & Shadowrun), so it may be possible to run under wine.

But don't hold your breath.
    It does not use DirectX 10, however it does take advantage of a few extra APIs included with 9 Ex.
    However, they happen to be installed from Halo 2's installer.
    So, if the installer can be made to work, we should have very few, or even no problems with the game.

Also, as another note, it was never even planned to use DirectX 10, believe it or not. It's a great thing too, because there are very few "DirectX 10 Capable" graphics cards. Even my Radeon x800, which is said to be able to play Halo 2 on pretty high settings with a great framerate, would stand no chance at even starting the game if it used DirectX 10. Also, the game doesn't come close to requiring the advanced features of DX10. DX9 is more than enough for it, we are talking about an original Xbox game here.
    Last edited by klange; June 25th, 2007 at 07:29 PM.

Beans

I have halo 2 for xbox, but i would like to replay it on the computer, a new perspective. Is it illegal if i want to get it on P2P since i do own the xbox version?

Anyway, someone should try installing DX9 from the guide online, install .net.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Masterchief3k View Post
    I have halo 2 for xbox, but i would like to replay it on the computer, a new perspective. Is it illegal if i want to get it on P2P since i do own the xbox version?
    Yes.