Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Snort Mysql & Base on Feisty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Cool Re: Snort Mysql & Base on Feisty

Ok, I'm making progress on this. Snort is running, Ntop (not on the Sparc machine though), BASE, and SnortSnarf.
    I was going to install "Acid" until I realized that it was just the same thing as BASE (Kind of like chemistry, heh!).
    Anyway, just one thing left that I would like to get working. I can't get the graphs to work in BASE. When I try it, a little 'broken' .jpg icon shows up instead.

I do have Pear and the graphics add-ons installed, but still not getting any pretty pictures. Anyone else run into this problem?

Tom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: Snort Mysql & Base on Feisty

Quote Originally Posted by tegwilym View Post
    Ok, I'm making progress on this. Snort is running, Ntop (not on the Sparc machine though), BASE, and SnortSnarf.
    I was going to install "Acid" until I realized that it was just the same thing as BASE (Kind of like chemistry, heh!).
    Anyway, just one thing left that I would like to get working. I can't get the graphs to work in BASE. When I try it, a little 'broken' .jpg icon shows up instead.

I do have Pear and the graphics add-ons installed, but still not getting any pretty pictures. Anyone else run into this problem?

Tom
    I remember having a problem with the graphs which I fixed by reinstalling different things such as the pear packages & php. It's been a long time so I can't exactly remember what fixed it.

You could try looking for a similar problem with pear not base or snort specific.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Question Re: Snort Mysql & Base on Feisty

Quote Originally Posted by djhedges View Post
    You could try looking for a similar problem with pear not base or snort specific.
    Good idea. BASE isn't the only thing that would use that. I did try reinstalling everything, and often it said "already the most current version" - or something like that, so I know it's there. Just doesn't make any graphs.

Beans

mines a different problem.

snort looks to be running fine, from ps:
    /usr/sbin/snort -m 027 -D -d -l /var/log/snort -u snort -g snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -S HOME_NET=[any] -i eth0

but nothing is getting logged in the alert log. all my rules are included, out puts set.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by tegwilym View Post
    Good idea. BASE isn't the only thing that would use that. I did try reinstalling everything, and often it said "already the most current version" - or something like that, so I know it's there. Just doesn't make any graphs.
    Open up synaptic and first do a complete removal of some parts such as the pear & php. Then install them again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by vaineh View Post
    mines a different problem.

snort looks to be running fine, from ps:
    /usr/sbin/snort -m 027 -D -d -l /var/log/snort -u snort -g snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -S HOME_NET=[any] -i eth0

but nothing is getting logged in the alert log. all my rules are included, out puts set.
    I would focus on modifying the config instead passing options to the command line such as the HOME_NET variable or where the logs are logged to. Theres way you can stop & start snort with
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/snort start
    /etc/init.d/snort stop
    Go back to the config and make sure it's setup to log to files and not the database.

How are you testing snort?

Beans

hey..
    thanks for the tutorial.my snort and base works perfectly.but how can i set authentication on the base, so that no other users could explore the base website...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Cool Re: Snort Mysql & Base on Feisty

Quote Originally Posted by djhedges View Post
    Open up synaptic and first do a complete removal of some parts such as the pear & php. Then install them again.
    Another fine idea. Thanks! I'll try that too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by izkandare View Post
    hey..
    thanks for the tutorial.my snort and base works perfectly.but how can i set authentication on the base, so that no other users could explore the base website...
    http://www.snort.org/docs/setup_guid...t_base_SSL.pdf

Theres a section in there explaining exactly what you asked for. It'll lock down the base directory so that you have to provide a username & password to get in.

Look for Securing Apache & Base directory towards the end of the how to.

Beans

Is it necessary to have apache and base installed to use snort? I am on a college campus that is very restrictive of what one does on his/her computer, and running an apache server would be one of those things that is restricted.

If it would be possible to run apache silently, that would be even better.
    Last edited by tjsullivan1; August 9th, 2007 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Added a second question.
    Registered Linux User #452226

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast