Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BBC License Payers Unite

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: BBC License Payers Unite

Last edited by isotonic; October 14th, 2009 at 10:56 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Submit a complaint to them. Get the word out. Tell everyone who will listen. Don't buy anything from them anymore. The only language corporations understand is a customer revolt. If enough people take their business elsewhere, the BBC will be forced to reconsider their position. Remember, we hold the power, not them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

IMHO, the beeb should be privatised and forced to compete on the marketplace for those who want it like everybody else - why do we in this day and age still need a nationalised media service like this? Is the tax (sorry, licence fee) worth the output we get? And more importantly why should we pay for it if we don't want it?
    Because every other commercial TV network produces utter rubbish that everyone will watch instead of shows that a solid minority will want to watch. think science, maths, music, theatre, drama, things that are a bit risky. The BBC is a world class content creator and we should be proud of it as a nation that we have the forethought to not privatise every little stupid thing into the ground. because from where I'm standing privatisation has ruined (even further) ever single public service it's touched.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Catsworth View Post
    How about a link to where it says that they won't be supporting anybody but Microsoft, so that we can read it for ourselves?
    Sorry forgot that one http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06..._osc_eu_ofcom/ have a look at the comments too, some interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by koshatnik View Post
    Legally, you don't have a leg to stand on. Sorry to break that to you. The BBC can do what the hell they like and support whatever they like. Yes, its against their charter in terms of inclusivity, but hey, **** happens.

Withholding your license fee isnt a great idea either. You'll go to court and you'll lose. There are other ways to complain.
    I'm sure if its against their charter then I can withhold my license fee. As I'm being forced to pay it then they can't discriminate against me and force me to have to pay extra to be able to use their services. At the very least I and others in my position should be granted a rebate on the license fee.

Quote Originally Posted by jkblacker View Post
    What about those without a computer? Should they too complain and ask for their money back, as they won't be able to access this service (or, indeed, any of the beeb's online services)? They're another minority who pay for something they don't use - but I don't see any massive revolt.
    If they are paying the same as people who do have access to all the services then yes they should get a reduced rate too.

Quote Originally Posted by isotonic View Post
    The thing about the beeb is: are we just subscribers (admittedly forced) or are we shareholders, by paying the licence fee?

If we're just the former then the service provider owns the content that we subscribe to; if we're the latter then we should be able to have a say on how the content is packaged and delivered, no matter how small our voice is.

I see the licence as just more tax - and like all taxes we pay we don't really have a say on where it goes and how its spent etc, etc.

IMHO, the beeb should be privatised and forced to compete on the marketplace for those who want it like everybody else - why do we in this day and age still need a nationalised media service like this? Is the tax (sorry, licence fee) worth the output we get? And more importantly why should we pay for it if we don't want it?

Answers on a postcard, please!
    As we are forced to pay it (whether we watch the BBC or not) then we can't be subscribers. I can choose to pay for Sky or not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by blastus View Post
    Don't buy anything from them anymore.
    If you want to have a "device that it is possible to recieve television signals on" you have to give the BBC your money in the form of a lisencence fee. This is buying from the BBC. Short of living in a house without a TV or computer you cant avoid it
    running ubuntu 12.04 on a custom build, dual core, 2.6Ghz, 4gb ram, 250gb hdd, nvidia 8600GT (512mb) laptop

geekism.co.uk the geeks blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

the majority of television is complete and utter drivel, and so i now don't own a TV anymore. whenever something interesting comes up on TV (rarely) it usually ends up on youtube anyway!

however, although i don't own a TV and hence don't pay the licence fee, i do still use the BBC website, and would like them to support open source formats.
    My Website

Download my new album for free here:
    http://www.mininova.org/tor/2966690

Beans
    Hidden!

I’m outraged that I can’t receive the BBC’s DAB broadcasts which I’m paying for through my licence as I don’t own a DAB radio. I demand that the BBC immediately cease its digital broadcasts and reverts back to a single FM transmission so that I don’t feel so cheated.

Stupid thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by purdy hate machine View Post
    I’m outraged that I can’t receive the BBC’s DAB broadcasts which I’m paying for through my licence as I don’t own a DAB radio. I demand that the BBC immediately cease its digital broadcasts and reverts back to a single FM transmission so that I don’t feel so cheated.

Stupid thread.
    Sunds like DAB is a standard where there are competing players that you can buy.

Windows DRM is Microsoft, single-vendor only. Hello, EU Commission Microsoft antitrust decision of 2004.
    [Renouveau- How you can help get a free 3d nVidia driver] | Give AMD and ATI [feedback]on their drivers; why not ask them to give driver specifications so they work better | [Video]: How to create redistributable Debian packages (.deb files)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As above, DAB isn't a proprietary format; so we have no quarrels with it. if I have broadband and a computer why the hell can't I see the BBCs content; simply because they bought into a proprietary format. nope not good.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast