Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old PC lying around, doing nothing

Beans

Re: Old PC lying around, doing nothing

Does it have AGP slot? If so, adding a graphics card (NVIDIA preferrably) could fix your 'graphics' problem. In fact there are still some legacy PCI graphics cards.

Then, if you don't need it you can give it away or use it as a back up PC.

Joe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Does it have AGP slot? If so, adding a graphics card (NVIDIA preferrably) could fix your 'graphics' problem. In fact there are still some legacy PCI graphics cards.
    That's an idea...jeez for $10 bucks or something at newegg you could get a 32-64mb card, then you could run Xubuntu desktop easily with 384 ram.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There are charities that take old computers, wipe them, refurbish them, and send them to poor countries. Jamies computer club in Southampton is one: www.jamiescomputerclub.org.uk/

There must be similar somewhere in London.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by joe.turion64x2 View Post

Then, if you don't need it you can give it away or use it as a back up PC.

Joe.
    It actually doesn't have an AGP slot so i would have to buy a PCI graphics card and no doubt that would mean even more trouble installing the drivers?

Beans

Not really, you can easily install them with Synaptic and if you manage to install Feisty on it, the Restricted Drivers Manager will do it itself. The only downside for this is that PCI graphics card are somewhat expensive.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joe.turion64x2 View Post
    The only downside for this is that PCI graphics card are somewhat expensive.
    Does not have to be. You can get a second hand one or a free one from one of those people that got a box full of old pc hardware lying around.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by gam3r View Post
    Celeron 800MHz
    386MB Ram
    8MB On board GFX(Really bad)
    80GB IDE Hard Drive
    Sounds like a decent system....nothing wrong with those specs. What type of onboard video?
    Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deanlinkous View Post
    Sounds like a decent system....nothing wrong with those specs. What type of onboard video?
    Just for the Celeron processor, if you could get a Pentium III instead, the performance boost would be great. Those processors should be cheap these days.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gam3r View Post
    Hello everyone!

I basically have this PC sitting idle and already built:

Celeron 800MHz
    386MB Ram
    8MB On board GFX(Really bad)
    80GB IDE Hard Drive

I am wondering what to do with it. Actually a few months earlier i had it running Ubuntu with Samba and i used it for a brief period as a file server but i no longer need one because i recently brought a 500GB SATA drive for this main computer. I don't really need a hard ware firewall as i already have a router firewall and software firewall.

Just wondering what i can do with it. It's actually a decent machine but the on board graphics are so bad that when i was using it with Ubuntu(i tried xubuntu) it ran quite slow(faster than XP) but there was ghosting when closing windows etc.

I am in the mood for learning more about linux and maybe i might just set this up for a little web browsing machine but i am not sure i need it as i already have a good computer and a laptop.

So my main question is what can i really do with it apart from letting it rot? Have i ruled out practically everything i can do?

Ideas welcome!

*bows to the ubuntu community*
    Take it apart and rebuild it for fun.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RAV TUX View Post
    Take it apart and rebuild it for fun.
    If asked, say you are cleaning it. In fact it is a good practice to clean the CPU fan.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast