Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Man VS Wild

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Man VS Wild

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    I'm not much into this reality tv stuff but if you want to watch something good then have a look at:
    SAS Desert: Are you tough enough?
    SAS: Are you tough enough?
    Oh, c'mon...that's like extremes of human endurance type stuff. Survivorman and Bear are at least showing what normal folks might be capable of doing (you know, like the 99.9% of folks who would flunk SAS training, much less even get to it in the first place).

Of course, if the average joe or jane really wanted to learn how to survive comfortable in the wild, they should probably hook up with some Aborigines or something. Some researchers were studying the Aborigine diet when they were in "civilized" cities vs. out in the wild living the way the usually do. While in the city, they gained 30-40 lbs, but out in the wild, they lost it all while actually exercising less..lol! It was just a matter of getting back to their acclimated diet. The researchers were stunned, because these guys spent like an hour, maybe two each day rounding up some food, and that was if they really wanted to feast. Most of the time, while they were just trekking from way place to another, they'd just kick over a rock, eat some insects, find a few edible bushes to eat, etc. Literally 2 mins, and they had their meal and were off again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tundro Walker View Post
    Oh, c'mon...that's like extremes of human endurance type stuff. Survivorman and Bear are at least showing what normal folks might be capable of doing (you know, like the 99.9% of folks who would flunk SAS training, much less even get to it in the first place).
    Well the people here seem to think he is way extreme. I'm just saying there is nothing that impressive about the show. The SAS Desert shows are not that extreme either but good to watch and it is civilians going through their paces trained by SAS members.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

It is my understanding that most people die under wilderness conditions because their either have no idea what to do or they panic and do something stupid. Bear is great at keeping his wits about him and knowing how to use his environment to his own advantage. And somehow still enjoys it and has fun. He may not be extremely extreme, but he still gets my respect for the way he handles his challenges.

The dude slid down a glacier with a broken skiing stick.

He caught a snake, and then carried it alive and wrapped around his arm for almost a day because he didn't want it to spoil.

This man is hard, whatever you say.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12