Thread: explicit variable placement with GCC 3.4.1

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

explicit variable placement with GCC 3.4.1

Hi everyone.

Is it possible to instruct gcc to place (or at least try to) a variable in a specific location?
    I'm using a port of gcc3.4.1 for the microblaze architecture.

I could use something like
    Code:
    #define MY_VAR (*(volatile int32_t *)0x12345678)
    MY_VAR = .... ;
    but It left me wondering if gcc would be able to generate optimal code if I could instruct it to place a variable in a specific address like:
    Code:
    int32_t my_var [some directive to say the location];
    my_var = .... ;
    Is this possible? Or should I just move along using the address dereferencing manner?

cheers,
    --to

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: explicit variable placement with GCC 3.4.1

The so called placement new does this :

Code:
    volatile int32_t* myVar = new((void*)0x12345678) int32_t;
    If you don't want to bother dereferencing the pointer everytime you use it, you can do something like :

Code:
    volatile int32_t* myVarPtr = new((void*)0x12345678) int32_t;
    volatile int32_t& myVar = *myVarPtr;

However, every access to the variable involves one indirection more than your first proposition (the #define).

The question being : does your solution provide a significant performance enhancement? OTOH it obviously makes it harder to maintain the program.
    As far as I'm concerned, I'd go with the placement new option., as it is way cleaner.

Remember: premature optimization is the root of all evil

Beans
    Distro

Thanks aks44,

I'll stick to the #define's and avoid the selling my soul to the devil
    The "variables" are registers of a peripheral which I was trying to access in a "transparent" way but it doesn't seem worth the effort.

Your solutions look like C++ but I'm only using C and look like too much trouble for what I need.

One thing in your post caught my eye...
    what's the difference between an int32_t and an int32_t& ?
    Is int32_t& some kind of dereferenced pointer variable for which I can assign the address? Some weird stuff you got there
    They seem to be accessed in the same manner, but apparently I can change the address of an int32_t& ? I never saw such thing in C

cheers,
    --to

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

My bad, I didn't realize that you were asking for C advice, not C++. My post was indeed a C++ solution, sorry for that.

As far as C goes, I believe your #define solution is fine, you can hardly do better.

FWIW, the & thing is a C++ type modifier, called a reference, it works almost like pointers but
    - you must set the address at initialization (it is illegal to have a non-initialized reference)
    - you can't change the address during the variable's lifetime
    - a reference MUST point to a valid object / variable (ie. there is no "null reference" contrary to pointers)
    - you don't have to dereference it (no need to prefix the variable with * in order to access its contents)

IOW, a reference is really an alias of another variable, but has the same semantics than pointers when a function takes it as an argument.

eg. both functions below are equivalent in C++ :

Code:
    void pointer_function(int* ptr)
    {
      assert(ptr!=NULL);
      *ptr = 123456;
    }

void reference_function(int& ref)
    {
      ref = 123456;
    }

void usage_example()
    {
      int myVar = 0;
      pointer_function(&myVar);
      reference_function(myVar);
    }

Beans
    Distro

I see, thanks for the explanation, I almost got it all except the part that I can't change the address of type& after it has been declared.
    Yep, I guess I'll be using the #defines all the way. On my first post I was looking more for some kind of gcc extension which would allow to control the location of the variable. But on a second thought, using a #define ends up being a little more portable and even clean.

Cheers,
    --to