Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Will KDE4 Kill GNOME?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Will KDE4 Kill GNOME?

I'm a gnome user, but if KDE 4 is half as decent as they're making it out to be, I'll be switching over quite happily. More than half the Linux apps I use are kde based, and the gnome dev attitude I find extremely deplorable. The only reason I don't use KDE 3 is because I honestly find it rather "clunky", (but I'm sure that'll be improved by 4).

Beans

GNOME's more likely to be crushed by Xfce unless it lightens its resource use. Users with the resources will use KDE4 if it meets expectations, and everyone else will use Xfce once it adds a few key features and becomes a little more usable.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ankursethi View Post
    It's philosophy of simplicity and the UNIX way of "one tool for one task" (no "Swiss army knives") has taken it quite far.
    i've never figured out which one task it is that nautilus does. is it file manager, a setter of wallpaper, a cd burning app, or could it even be a dessert topping? it doesn't matter, openbox will rise up and crush them all.

Beans

I dont think it will. I agree that for customization and that stuff it is much better but for clean looks, and ease of use gnome wins hands down. Some things i don't like in KDE are:
    - Constant use of "K" at the start of every blooming program.
    - Messy looking menus, toolbars. Way too many buttons lol.

But i dunno, new users to linux will find gnome more approachable - KDE was like "wtf?" to me when i first used it. But its more a personal preference i think.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm pretty sure that Mark prefers KDE over GNOME.
    There was an interview with him that said he used Ubuntu and Kubuntu, one on the desktop other on the laptop. And he had a PPC mac...

But that's not a big deal; the point is that ubuntu is gnome.

I thought this too, but again, a poll by the (as far as I'm aware) DE-neutral LinuxQuestions.org still has KDE as the majority:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=514945

Not just home users, either: A report on software usage in the European government gives a similar ratio of KDE to GNOME users (p.29):

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/ict/p...lossimpact.pdf

Frankly, I'd say that whatever damage to KDE as a result of the Major League distros championing GNOME over KDE has already been done, and the damage is surprisingly slight. And KDE development shows absolutely no signs of slowing down: it's still averaging approximately 300 commits per day (site is currently down).
    Every poll i've seen that was on a forum that wasn't focused on any DE had KDE a definite majority.

KDE is just more polished,
    I absolutly hate the very whitesh colour of the programs on KDE. The beigish clearlooks beats all, except aqua is close. And gnome seems to handle better with themes and such. And the K thing.

But everything other then then that, KDE is great. I use it sometimes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Personally I prefer the look of gnome to KDE, and I don't think I could deal with the endless number of apps beginning with "k", but kde4 does look good - Plasma looks very interesting. I like the simplicity of gnome but it could do with a makeover.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Happy_Man View Post
    GNOME is ugly and wastes screen space. With Kicker, I can just shrink it to nothing, or maybe even hide it
    lol, are u comparing a big and ugly default taskbar with a small taskbar for appications that gnome uses?
    You must be kidding right ?
    And who said that you couldn't hide gnomes bar, or even adjust its size?

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkBuntu View Post
    GNOME's more likely to be crushed by Xfce unless it lightens its resource use. Users with the resources will use KDE4 if it meets expectations, and everyone else will use Xfce once it adds a few key features and becomes a little more usable.
    As much i like XFCE it will never crush gnome, because two points

- It is not as full featured in some points as Gnome
    - XFCE uses gnome infrastructure, so you can say that XFCE = Gnome, or XFCE is a lighter gnome. So much of XFCE innovation resides in gnome.The only difference is Xfmm window manager, as gnome uses metacity

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by racoq View Post
    lol, are u comparing a big and ugly default taskbar with a small taskbar for appications that gnome uses?
    You must be kidding right ?
    And who said that you couldn't hide gnomes bar, or even adjust its size?

As much i like XFCE it will never crush gnome, because two points

- It is not as full featured in some points as Gnome
    - XFCE uses gnome infrastructure, so you can say that XFCE = Gnome, or XFCE is a lighter gnome. So much of XFCE innovation resides in gnome.The only difference is Xfmm window manager, as gnome uses metacity
    Thunar has potential.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkBuntu View Post
    Thunar has potential.
    True, forgot about that.

Also i think that KDE, was kicked toward version 4, because Gnome in terms of interface, (usability an simplicity), was way ahead. KDE 4 was pushed by gnome 2. And thank god that happened as it is the end of that horrible Kicker.

This always happened through Gnome and KDE history, and it is a healthy competion. It just make the 2 DE better in time.

Hopefully,KDE 4 release, push the gnome Devs to start thinking in gnome 3.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by racoq View Post
    Also i think that KDE, was kicked toward version 4, because Gnome in terms of interface, (usability an simplicity), was way ahead. KDE 4 was pushed by gnome 2. And thank god that happened as it is the end of that horrible Kicker.
    More likely it was the switch from Qt 3 to Qt 4 which opened up an opportunity for a major API rewrite.

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast