Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: the day dell refused to sell a computer

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Re: the day dell refused to sell a computer

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    heck indeed, someguys in the OS world are actually spreading FUD against dell all the time when what we should do is support dell as much as possible since this way of distribution is the best possible for Linux desktop OS, without the issues with hardware and installation, etc
    The way to home desktop acceptance is through organizational desktop. Most of the people I know would not get a Dell Ubuntu machine. Those who would know how to install Linux anyway (Gentoo and Slack users for the most part). My alma mater however might very well decide to put Ubuntu (or other Linux) machines in their labs. You can still write papers in OO and browse the web with Firefox (which they switched to very quickly) but the admins won't have to clean out spyware all the time.

This is the problem, Dell is allowing for a very limited choice of the machines and is refusing to sell them to organizations. They will have a very small number of Linux enthusiasts buy the laptops only because laptops are such a pain to configure. There will be an incredibly tiny portion of people getting the desktops as lets face it we tend to build our own. It won't help that Ubuntu can run just fine on older machines so those who get them now will not be upgrading for a couple of years. This will lead to very small sales by Dell prompting them to pull the plug on the whole thing. Even if they do not do that it will show other OEM's that there is an almost non existing market for Linux preinstalls and won't bother.

Another thing I don't understand is why not unify the line. Hardware that works with Linux will work just fine with Windows. The only thing that is really needed is the media keys driver and I seriously doubt that Dell uses different keyboards in their machines. This would allow them to sell nearly their entire line with Ubuntu on it. The only problem would be machines with AMD video cards but that could be easily taken care of with a warning or disallowing for a choice of Ubuntu as an OS. At the very least they could have offered it as an option for organizational machines.

I hope I'm wrong but so far it doesn't seem like Dell is very committed to Linux adoption. If they really wanted to back it up they would have allowed organizations to get it.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans

I agree. FUD against a new ally isn't going to help matters. Maybe Dell needs more Ubuntu requests from businesses. If the home models sell well and businesses start asking for it, they will warm up to the idea. Using the home market keeps them from getting in too far over their heads, instead of jumping all-in.

Work with them and give it time. The idea is still very new to them.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Linux: Because my business ISN'T "Everybody's Business"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by macogw View Post
    It's probably because they want you to buy the more expensive Novell SLED workstations if you're a business.
    Exactly. I am sure they must be offering RHEL and Mandriva as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Lightbulb Re: the day dell refused to sell a computer

I wonder if they sell FreeDOS machines to businesses. If so than just buy those and install Ubuntu yourself (still not the perfect answer)
    USE LINUX! Because a 486 is a terrible thing to waste.
    And check out my blog bitobsessed.blogspot.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

The reason Dell does not offer Linux on its "business line" most likely has to do with Microsofts muscle on Dell. Let's be glad that Dell has at least given MS the finger in the home line. Dell gets a screaming deal on their MS operating systems, putting any Linux system on their business line will cause MS to increase substantionally the cost of Windows. It is simple business. Regarding the what if's of the financial transaction. It doesn't matter how or by what means it was purchased. If it is used for business then it falls under all the legalities of business. Only things purchase under the business and totally used as personal are illegal. Items used both for personal and business need to have their respective percentages reported.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

You could go to All Around Geeks. http://www.allaroundgeeks.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I was very happy when it was announced that Dell would be selling PCs with Ubuntu preinstalled.

However, it did little to change my opinion of Dell.

But any big name PC-maker putting Ubuntu (and Linux) in front of more people is a good thing.

Personally, I will buy my next computer from whomever offers me what I want configuration-wise (or close to it) without being obscenely expensive. And naturally, said company would (supposedly) have a good reputation as well.

Honestly if I were to buy a new PC tomorrow I don't know who I'd get it from but I can tell you who I wouldn't get it from (Dell would be among those I'd avoid).

On a related note, even if I loved Delll to death, I'd still buy elsewhere. The options they offer for Ubuntu pale in comparison to what they offer if you buy a Windows box.
    Scott
    © 2010 angrykeyboarder™ & Elmer Fudd. All Wites Wesewved.
    I never used an OS that I didn't (dis)like.
    I'm angrykeyboarder™ and I approved this message.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

hey people,
    i have talked to Dell my self about the Ubuntu systems.
    The reason they are not selling these systems to anyone other than home users is because they do not have the staff or the skills at this stage to support business/corporate installations.
    there is no other reason !
    The reason I called was to gain info on becoming off site support / partnership program for Dell/Ubuntu.
    They are testing Gusty right now since it will come default with compiz fusion installed.
    There is no corporate agenda here, it is simply that they have no skilled staff to take care of support for anything other than the home user

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I still find it interesting that they only offer two different choices of laptops with Ubuntu and that if you want one of their upper $$ laptops you either can't get it with Ubuntu or you can't get it without an OS.

My significant other bought an Acer 9300-5005 of course had Vista (YUK), I immediately installed 7.04 as a dual boot. He's thrilled and hardly if ever touches the Vista side, probably will totally take it off the machine soon.

I'm checking out the other companies that provide linux laptops....I have a ways to wait before the money appears.
    Ubuntu User number is # 10719
    Linux user number 438760

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast