Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: the day dell refused to sell a computer

Beans

Re: the day dell refused to sell a computer

It didn't look like anyone had yet created an IdeaStorm post for this, so here you are:

http://www.ideastorm.com/article/sho...and_nonprofits

Here's a similar one, already with some support:

http://www.ideastorm.com/article/show/67113

Click away!

Beans

I'm not surprised. I tried to buy a Dell laptop a few months ago (after the release of Vista). I told them I would take a machine with XP Home (for which I might have occasional use), but preferred FreeDos. I was told no; I had to take Vista. To be fair, the same thing happened at HP. So, I bought a little Toshiba U205 with XP Home. It even came with XP media. I blew the image away, repartitioned, put XP in 20g, and installed Feisty in the 60G remaining. It's a very nice box.

I expect my computer to work for me, not the WIPO Mob, so Vista is a deal breaker from here on out. End the end, I think that attitude will win the day. If they won't sell you what you want, find someone who will.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reality View Post
    Did anyone see "Who killed the electric car?". It almost sounds like Dell is doing exactly what GM did...
    1) Prentend to provide an innovative product
    2) Make it extremely difficult for anyone to actually purchase said product
    3) Discontinue product and claim that there was a "lack of demand" (regardless of actual amount of demand)
    4) Partners in combustion engine/oil industry (or in this case, MS) do not have to compete with innovative ideas/products

-Not that I necessarily think this is what Dell is doing. but perhaps something to look out for....

That's very, very, interesting. So, in the end, it could all be, not MS's doing, but be supported by Microsoft?

Beans

It sounds like Dell has a PR problem. I would talk to a manager and get his name along with his response. The world may need to know what Dell's official stance on this issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Smile Re: the day dell refused to sell a computer

Quote Originally Posted by cosborn72 View Post
    I had a surreal experience with Dell today.
    I'm sorry you had such trouble with Dell. I work at a non-profit and do order computers from HP. They give me a discount since I'm ordering for a non-profit. Yes, most of the computers are tested with Linux, Novell sled to be exact.

I lost faith in Dell when the business rep kept trying to upsell me for all my business needs, same with CDW. I went to HP and was amazed at the time of my order. I requested what I needed on the website, by phone, or by email to get a quote in a few minutes.

Will I ever order Dell? Ever? NO! Hell No!

I recommend you give HP a call, their business line is excellent for use with Linux.
    Order the computers with FreeDOS, they ARE cheaper than the windows equiv. They CLEARLY take off money if you select freedos vs windows. They are the SAME computer, NOT some "open source pc".

HP++

lbound is offline Ubuntu Green Coffee Beans
    Beans

Well, to be fair, SUSE is more expensive for a reason.....it includes business level support.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I just contacted my Dell Business Rep and he confirmed that Dell does not sell Ubuntu-based machines for business use. He says businesses may purchase machines with "an open-source OS or FreeDOS".

lbound is offline Ubuntu Green Coffee Beans
    Beans

Have them define "OpenSource"

Beans

Isn't Ubuntu an "Open Source O/S"?

What were your options?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It can get worse, many years ago I worked for a (then) national company who's local Birmingham office persisted in informing prospective customers that "they were not taking on any new customers at the moment".
    I gave up and left them shortly afterwards and the company went to the wall about a year later. I am English but it can happen anywhere (apparently)!!

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast