Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: the day dell refused to sell a computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: the day dell refused to sell a computer

Quote Originally Posted by sholsinger View Post
    Hi, my name is Steve, and I've been a user since October 2006.
    My name is Stefano and I got hooked on Ubuntu since May 2007.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ButteBlues View Post
    I wasn't aware they were selling those yet.
    They've been selling SLED workstations and Red Hat servers for years now.

Beans

Question Re: the day dell refused to sell a computer

I didn't like the configuration of their Ubuntu boxes (I prefer to support AMD) so I wanted to get a "freedos" box and then just install Ubuntu on it myself. I noticed that under the home user section you had to take a monitor, which I didn't want, so I looked around their site some more and found some freedos boxes under small business. They were the exact same boxes except that the options and pricing were different. Under small business I could select "no monitor", and I had a different choice of graphics cards, etc.

In any event, I was logged on with my business account when I ordered the box from the small business section of their site but they allowed me to purchase it on my personal credit card and ship it to my home address, no questions asked. Seems similar to what you were attempting but in reverse.

Beans

This does not surprise me at all.

Dell's personal line is not for business use. They even say so when they sell the computer. In fact, even if you buy from their business side, their workstations are not supported with Server based OS's on them.

For example, one time we were installing for test purposes W2K3 Server on a Dell workstation. You cannot find driver software from Dell for the Server OSs. Dell has rebranded everything as "Dell xyz" , so it's not easy to find the driver software.

I called Dell up, and was told that it was not licensed to use that machine with a server class OS.. that I should purchase a server class machine to receive server class drivers.

So, the same thing is going on here. Dell actually has hardware restrictions. Businesses that are not at a home/personal use MUST go through their small business or medium/large business site. In fact, because of commissioning, a personal seller who sells to a business can lose their job for doing so. That's stealing both a commission and a lead from a business sales guy.. and we all know that the business sales people are bringing in major contracts.

So.. that's why he couldn't do it. It's a personal laptop. It's not eligible for business sales.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

What a long, strange trip it's been.

Quote Originally Posted by moxfyre View Post
    Hope that helps! (Also note that, because of discounts and promotions, it may actually be cheaper to order a Windows-based system and then just put Ubuntu on it, as was the case for me.)
    You're going to go ahead and pay the Microsoft tax huh? How is that cheaper?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have this problem with CompUSA's website, I have money, it wont let me spend it?!?! Whhhy!

(off topic sorry)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you want a very pro-non-profit Linux systems builder, check out ZaReason. The company was built on FOSS principles and you will find a more solid computer and real service.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Just last Friday I basically got in a b-fight on the phone with a Dell rep. The person I chatted in IM was overly cordial, but I'm used to IM tech support being like that (it's easy to copy and paste a complaint). The first phone person I talked to was very nice and sweet. But this lady was horrid!

First, I wanted to order an Ubuntu computer. But I also wanted to see if I could get the 3 months interest free (ps, you can't get the 6 months interest free SIMPLY because it has Ubuntu on it. The same computer with Windows on it, automatically gets you interest free). I applied for it, and didn't qualify. She suggested that I get it with no operating system, to save money, but that since it wouldn't have Ubuntu, I would qualify for the 6 months interest free. Fantastic! I know how to install Ubuntu, that works fine with me.

Go through installing blah blah blah. She starts trying to upsell me... Why don't you want a 9 cell? Umm... because I don't want a 9 cell. Why don't you want a better graphics card, what if you want to play a video game? Umm... because I have a desktop, this is just my laptop. And I tell her plain OUT, "Ma'am, I made the computer on the website. I am very tech savvy. I know exactly what I want." Why don't you want a laptop case? Because, as we've discussed before, I HAD a laptop, it broke, thuslyness, I already HAVE a laptopcase!

So I'm already ticked. She orders it... and then I realize she never confirmed the 6 months no interest. I ask her about it... "Oh you can't get that with no operating system. Windows only."

HOLY COW! That was the WHOLE POINT of switching from Ubuntu to no OS! What... what was going on in that empty head of yours?!

So I say cancel. Just cancel. I am far, far too angry at this lady to get her get this commission.

I've done phone sales before, so I know that she does need a reason for any order cancelled. She asks and I say, "I didn't understand that I'd have to buy an operating system." Total lie, but I know it's an option on her computer.

She starts trying to explain it to me. She starts trying to explain how easy Windows is. If I get Windows, I can get that 6 months interest free. I'm furious. She refuses to cancel the order. When I say cancel my order, I want it canceled. At this point, it could be because I stubbed my toe and I see that as a bad sign from the Spagetti Monster!

Anyway, a day later I check my order status to make sure she actually canceled... turns out she actually didn't even order no OS, she ordered Windows, and wasn't going to give me the 6 months no interest.

Mindboggling. Was she even listening to me?

Beans

Did anyone see "Who killed the electric car?". It almost sounds like Dell is doing exactly what GM did...
    1) Prentend to provide an innovative product
    2) Make it extremely difficult for anyone to actually purchase said product
    3) Discontinue product and claim that there was a "lack of demand" (regardless of actual amount of demand)
    4) Partners in combustion engine/oil industry (or in this case, MS) do not have to compete with innovative ideas/products

-Not that I necessarily think this is what Dell is doing. but perhaps something to look out for....

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast