Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The game I plan - wolf's life simulation

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

The game I plan - wolf's life simulation

Screenshot: http://www.echostar.pl/~dolny/smieci/gry/interwolf3.jpg

Of course I know it looks funny right now. I'm working on a different project right now but since I'm not a coder - I just plan the whole game, mechanics and maybe I'll do some simple gfx - I have some time to work on another title. I'll explain the game.

It is a wolf's life simulation + rpg. You can play free game or some missions like: find water, protect your family, live through winter etc. You use your senses like seeing, hearing etc. You must drink and eat, rest, heal your wounds. You can find a partner, challenge other wolves in the pack in order to win leadership. You would also look out for humans until you have a large pack/strong and intelligent wolf that could kill a human (if you wish to do that).

The game would feature graphics similar to the one in the main screen - not the interface! I mean the main game window - I could make the interface 100x better.
    The things that would build the atmosphere would be music and sounds - howling, sounds of the night, nature...

What do you think? Anyone who is good at coding wants to help?
    Switched to ArchLinux (Pacman rox!)
    Linux registered user number 391475.
    War is not about who is right, but who is left.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: The game I plan - wolf's life simulation

It reminds me a lot of Unreal World with a neat twist. I've always been a fan of open-ended rpgs. I wish you luck with it.

Beans

Have you seen this game?

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Yeah. I played UrW - very nice game. But the ideas are probably a result of playing rpgs all my life I loved 'Wolf', liked Adom, Avanor (www.avanor.com), UrW, Doom - the roguelike etc.

The graphic display shouldn't be hard to code, I want multiplayer support - either 1-4 players or many players at once - for example rival packs.

Fighting would not be so boring as you may think - you will have different tactics (like aggresive, defensive), the night/day cycle that would affect your chances for winning/losing, terrain modifier (it's better to hide in the bushes and then attack).

I just need someone who can code in C++ / SDL (or other good cross-platform thingy).
    Switched to ArchLinux (Pacman rox!)
    Linux registered user number 391475.
    War is not about who is right, but who is left.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Might I recommend caution with the artwork, I imagine some of it might not be under suitable creative commons license.

Otherwise I wish you good luck, and I would like to inform everyone that there will be a python game development contest soon:

http://www.mechanicalcat.net/tech/PyWeek

In case you or anyone feel like entering.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Sounds like a fantastic idea

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dolny
    Yeah. I played UrW - very nice game. But the ideas are probably a result of playing rpgs all my life I loved 'Wolf', liked Adom, Avanor (www.avanor.com), UrW, Doom - the roguelike etc.

The graphic display shouldn't be hard to code, I want multiplayer support - either 1-4 players or many players at once - for example rival packs.

Fighting would not be so boring as you may think - you will have different tactics (like aggresive, defensive), the night/day cycle that would affect your chances for winning/losing, terrain modifier (it's better to hide in the bushes and then attack).

I just need someone who can code in C++ / SDL (or other good cross-platform thingy).
    I think that instead of attempting to code the game in C++ or similar from scratch you take a look of some of the gaming engines that are available under a GPL license and see how far it's possible to get with these engines without coding. I suspect it's possible to get pretty far!
    http://www.modspil.dk
    - fordi tiden kræver et MODSPIL!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What do you think? Anyone who is good at coding wants to help?
    i love wolf .

i would like to help translate and maybe some i can come up with some sounds/ music as i have a small home studio and i play and write songs myself .

i am only learning to write c code right now so i can not offer to help code anything yet and it will also take some years to learn that much but the sound and translations for smaller projects i will always offer help with.

if you get this out some day i will like to play it. i like animals but wolf is one of the animals i like the best. i think it would be great if you make it as real as possible so that those who play it learn as much as they can about the wolf.
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Notice the thread is from 2005 and the OP probably isn't active anymore (still testing Dapper Drake?).

Anyway I'm interested in whatever became of this. I'm always surprised that there are actually so many wolf simimulators. The best one I've played was a free Windows action/MMORPG released around 06 by some wolf conservation group. The best things about it were full 3D graphics and the MMO part. I'll see if I can remember the name.
    ndrw.me | Twitter
    Ubuntu + Vista | Dell Vostro 1500 | C2D 1.4GHz | 2GB | 120GB | nVidia 8400m GS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

K found it.

It's called WolfQuest, came out in Dec 07 and is a free download (sponsored by the Minnesota Zoo) for Win/Mac. Surprisingly there's actually a sequel that is coming out later this year. From what I remember it's actually a pretty fun game, even though the chat filter sucks.

Offical site
    Wikipedia page
    Hilarious trailer
    Doesn't work with WINE
    ndrw.me | Twitter
    Ubuntu + Vista | Dell Vostro 1500 | C2D 1.4GHz | 2GB | 120GB | nVidia 8400m GS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast